Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

You can haul 10+ wheels mounted in a mini van !
Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray,

Nothing to contribute other than Congratulations!!!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have a question that's bugging me: Is it a mistake to buy a Boxster S knowing that I will be having 1-2 kids in the next couple years?

The only other option besides a Boxster S that I'm considering is 911, but didn't want to spend more money on it at this point in time.

Also, keep in mind that this will not be our primary vehicle. The primary vehicle will be able to hold the entire family, so it seems appropriate that the 2nd car can be a toy. But I'm just thinking as practical as I can with regard to the "toy" car.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have a question that's bugging me: Is it a mistake to buy a Boxster S knowing that I will be having 1-2 kids in the next couple years?

The only other option besides a Boxster S that I'm considering is 911, but didn't want to spend more money on it at this point in time.

Also, keep in mind that this will not be our primary vehicle. The primary vehicle will be able to hold the entire family, so it seems appropriate that the 2nd car can be a toy. But I'm just thinking as practical as I can with regard to the "toy" car.
I was originally going to buy a Boxster as a "toy car" and my wife pointed out that if I did that then she (and the kids) would not be able to drive with me. Buying the 996 was her idea. I love my wife. You need your wife to have the same idea.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have a question that's bugging me: Is it a mistake to buy a Boxster S knowing that I will be having 1-2 kids in the next couple years?...Also, keep in mind that this will not be our primary vehicle. The primary vehicle will be able to hold the entire family, so it seems appropriate that the 2nd car can be a toy. .
No, it's not a mistake.

1) You are counting the chickens before they hatch (sorry... I know they're "kids"). Once you have your 2 kids in the next couple of years, THEN you can revisit your decision and opt for a different car. Otherwise, you have 2 + years to enjoy the car. I shuttle the kid in the Boxster S once in a while to daycare vs taking the X5, A4 or 911 (I was thinking of using the "Baby Bjorn" on the motorcycle, but wouldn't want some nosey busy body calling Child Protection Services on me ). I give the kid options depending which color card the kid picks up/points to first...

2) You already have a primary family mobile. But still, see #1 above where you are counting your chickens before they hatch. In 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 years, your situation may change which may change your family car needs into something else. I.e. - if you have a 4 door sedan family mobile now, what if for some reason you end up with 3 or 4 kids? Thus, you will need to switch into a minivan. BUT, you wouldn't buy a minivan NOW would you?

Either way, your wife will probably tell you what to do anyway, so why bother asking the question? ....just kidding....
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
BTW Ray... I've got to say it before anyone else does.... your life is officially over when the baby arrives.
Thank God for that - it keeps me in business.

BTW, I have to say that Wayne's kids are awfully cute!!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
victorltd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default kids are time sensitive

Here is my take. While they may be cute, kids suck for the first 9 months. They absolutely Rock from 18 months through 6 years. After that, it's a slow decent until they hit 13 then focus on flying under the radar until the buggers hit their 20's at which time they are allow to reenter your life. I’m just kidding, sort of.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Thank God for that - it keeps me in business.

BTW, I have to say that Wayne's kids are awfully cute!!
Thanks - sadly they know it and make my life hell as a result.

Originally Posted by victorltd
Here is my take. While they may be cute, kids suck for the first 9 months. They absolutely Rock from 18 months through 6 years. After that, it's a slow decent until they hit 13 then focus on flying under the radar until the buggers hit their 20's at which time they are allow to reenter your life. I’m just kidding, sort of.
Looks like a pretty fair assessment.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by victorltd
I'm a pediatrician so I'm not allowed to say that. I can think it, though.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You'll want the infant sized seat initially and it should be mounted on the right front passenger seat. Eventually you will graduate to a toddler sized one which you can then start to put in the back area. As infants, you want them close by to deal with this and that. The Grayco ones are a nice fit.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I'm a pediatrician so I'm not allowed to say that. I can think it, though.
I cherish every moment with my kids - even when I'm crabby and tired I realize that they're only this age once and you'll only be the center of their world for a short time and should enjoy it while you can.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I cherish every moment with my kids - even when I'm crabby and tired I realize that they're only this age once and you'll only be the center of their world for a short time and should enjoy it while you can.
You've said it perfectly! I wish more parents realized that. I try to convey that exact message to them during visits with their kids. Believe me, it goes by all too quickly. Now when I'm tired and crabby, only the cat appreciates me.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

You've said it perfectly! I wish more parents realized that. I try to convey that exact message to them during visits with their kids. Believe me, it goes by all too quickly. Now when I'm tired and crabby, only the cat appreciates me.

Yup - it took me a while to realize it and my wife "got it" before I did.

Sure, not every day is perfect, but I work towards the goal of enjoying as much time with them as I can.

I never got being a parent until I made the realization that for a very short time you are the center of their world - they have nothing else but you and their love is unconditional. Sadly, they eventually grow out of that phase and either you did things right and set the foundation for their life, or you missed an opportunity that you will never get again.

If there's only one thing that's important in life it's making the most of every day with your children because when all is said and done they will probably be your greatest legacy.

Quick Reply: Baby News and Question