Sponsored by:

Baby News and Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations.!

I can't comment on the baby seat, but as far as a booster seat for when they are older, I've got my 4year old in a Recaro Vivo (unfortunately, it doesn't come in speed yellow, so he has to do with red).
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn
Recaro Young Sport - at 18 months.
Glenn, did you have any fitment issues with the Recaro Young Sport in your 996? I'm thinking about a 996tt in the future and want to purchase a car seat that will fit now.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
LOL, you guys are starting to freak me out.....

I still have triathlons to run, DE's to drive, mountains to ski, rivers to kayak....

Good luck with that... if you find a way to make time write a book and it will be a bestseller when we buy it to figure out your secret.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jmarch
Glenn, did you have any fitment issues with the Recaro Young Sport in your 996? I'm thinking about a 996tt in the future and want to purchase a car seat that will fit now.
I have that seat and it fits fine... you need patience to get it in and out and in the right position, but it's the best seat out there.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I have that seat and it fits fine... you need patience to get it in and out and in the right position, but it's the best seat out there.
Thanks. Once I get it in there, it's staying.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jmarch
Thanks. Once I get it in there, it's staying.
I've got to admit that it took some patience on my part to figure out how to get it installed so that it was aligned properly and in tight - but once it's in you'll find it's a rock solid seat that follows the same design principles as a race seat - very safe.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
Hahhahaha.....

The Honda Element. That's the one with the rubber floor right??

The rubber floor may be good for kid vomit, but I'm not driving around in a box with 4 cylinders at the wrong end.

I'll pass......
Congrats. Holding your newborn in your arm is priceless.

BTW, I drive a Honda Element. You'll be surprised how much rear seat room there is and when he start flinging food you'll wish you have urethane floors.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I just remembered that I have this picture... A far better idea than a car seat and much quieter, too!
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All, if I am reading this right, some of you have been able to fit a rear facing seat (for a new-born to 12mths - heck I don't even know what the categories are, newborn to 3mths/6mths, etc??) into the back seat of a 996/7? I am faced with the (nice) dilemma of a newly pregnant wife and a FL 997 4S on order, baby and baby coming about the same time (November). Given the car is only a weekend thing for getting out of the city, and not an actual means of transportation, I am trying to rationalize staying with it versus the more practical but less fun route of M3/RS4. Any thoughts appreciated. Mainly, can I get a newborn in safely into the back of a 997 and have the lady in the front?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:42 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Try a search on "baby" or "infant" in the 996 forum, there is a ton of information. The infant seats are typically in the front with the airbag disabled, but I have seen at least one (from memory) in the back.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yup, I've had my Graco Snugride rear facing seat in the back of my 996 - it fit fine if you don't use the base.

We had to move the passenger seat forward a couple of inches, but that wasn't much of an imposition. Visibility was not impaired for me and may wife didn't lose that much leg room. It helped that she's only 5'2" though.

We'll be doing the routine all over again in the fall and will have the joy of putting my front facing seat behind me and the rear facing seat behind my wife.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM
johnnyq
Advanced

996fourEss,

I too am running into the same requirement. My 8 month old son is not in the infant carrier anymore and is now in a child seat that has to be rear facing till he is 1yrs old and 20 pounds. There are a bunch of threads on child seats that I went through, but not much on rear facing ones. I bought the britax roundabout, took out the rear seats, and it still does not seem to fit right. Mostly due to the seatbelt being very difficult to adjust. But it can be done. The infant seats will be easier to install, and will fit, but the front seat will have to be so far forward that it might not be able to fit an adult in the front. I am still working on getting the seat in the car so I will feel comfortable with it. The only reason I got rid of my boxster S was to have room for a child seat.

I may have to wait a couple of months before I can get my boy in the car with us. Either way, other seats may work better for you. Dont cancel the car
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Thanks johnnyq. exactly what I was looking for. Think I get a little more space with the non-cab so that will help. Main thing is being able to convince the lady that the car is sensible and usable three up. Hard to do if I can't even get the newborn kid in the car until he/she is a year old and able to sit in a forward facing seat, so appreciate the advice.

BTW, is that your CL in the picture as well? How do you find that after stepping out of the 996?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
johnnyq
Advanced

No it is not. That picture was taken at the mercedes dealer I bought the car at. I have not taken any pics of it at home yet. The only mod I have done that you would be able to see are clear sidemarkers. My daily driver is a 05 Navigator. So the 996 is a joy to drive after that thing.

Good eye though, that cl was sweet. Although my favorite car there was the maybach 57 they have in the front.

John
Old 05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I used the Graco Snugrider as a rear facing seat up to 20lbs, then switched to a front facing Recaro young sport. There was no need to more to a different configuration in moving from front to rear facing and the fit was fine.

Quick Reply: Baby News and Question