Sponsored by:

Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations

My transmission is done being rebuilt and about to be put back in the car. I need to figure out today which clutch and flywheel to put in. The car (1999 c2) is occasionally driven on the street to but more of a fun car and will be raced.

Which clutch would fit those needs and take the abuse I am going to give it? And also be somewhat easy for the street. And is the lightweight flywheel recommended and which one? Prices?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lightweight flywheel for sure! aasco makes one for the 3.4L.
stock clutch would be fine i think. there's no big power gains in the 996 N/A's other than the supercharger that would require going to a disk that can hold more torque.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM
bk12
Racer

I suggest you put in something that will make you a little slower to keep things more interesting in PoC this year
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
JC3D
Pro

Went with some 6 puck clutch my mechanic got for me with a stock pressure plate.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

who did your trans ? what was wrong with it ? and if ya dont mind what was the damage $$$ ? mines very very difficult getting into 2nd gear when cold...no problem when hot
Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ i think all of them are like that. if you have a short shifter, it is especially bad.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
JC3D
Pro

First gear wasn't working, maybe 10% of the time after grinding it in there, 2nd and reverse were the same Differential was so bad it could be turned by hand when they removed it. When we took out the transmission we noticed that screws had broken off of the pressure plate and put 4 nice holes in the bellhousing.
Just the rebuild including the Diff was about 4800, with i think a stronger second. We shipped it out to California Motorsport which is in Arizona. Because of the wrong clutch disc being delivered, I am looking at friday to pick up the car for saturday's event at willow springs.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

The Aasco LWF clutch was the only one I could find other than stock for my car.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stay stock
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

John, I am considering a LWFW and new clutch in the near future. GMG has a clutch/LWFW combo that they guarantee eliminates the chatter isssue. I called them (Fabryce) and never got a return call. Please let us know how you like yours both on the street and track. Thanks, Mark
Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

why do you guys want a lightweight clutch, flywheel for your 911? what is it about the stock setup that u find not good enough?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

The stock clutch/flywheel is fine for most applications. I'm going to need to replace mine within the next year or less, depending on how many track days I get to do. With all the mods that I have done, I have probably only increased my hp by 10%. My car only has 35,000 miles on it and the clutch is weak. I plan on eventually adding a supercharger. The stock clutch can not take that kind of an increase in power. I made the mistake with my previous track car of trying to use a clutch that was not rated for the kind of power that my engine was putting out. I increased the hp from 225 to 420. The clutch lasted less than 5,000 miles.
I'm not 100% convinced on doing the LWFW yet. I didn't do it on my previous track toy because there are pros/cons to doing it. I would really like to benefit from someone else's experience before I make that decision.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

What makes your clutch weak? How do you know that the stock clutch can't handle SC power if you've never had SC on your car before?

I'm asking questions because I thought about doing up a lwf and my research told me there is no aftermarket setup that makes the car drive better. It'll either make extra noises and the benefits are nil. This was my research, your results may vary.

I had a lightweight flywheel and stiffer clutch on my supercharged S2000. I did it because there were several hardcore track guys with the SC who recommended the clutch and could speak to its longevity even in extreme track conditions. And they were right. Over the next couple of years as more S2000s got supercharged (still a very small number, but for an internet forum, not bad at all), they were right. The ACT/Comptech lwf setup was fantastic.

The S2000 stock clutch definitely needs a swap, but I'm thinking the 911 clutch may be beefier from the get-go. And finding someone who knows how to do right with an SC setup... it was tough for me to find a stock car with aftermarket clutch with an owner who seemed to "get it".

I'm just trying to remove the BS/hype from this to perhaps bring in the credible people here who've done it v. just throwing things out and hoping it'd stick.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
JC3D
Pro

Originally Posted by Mfletch
John, I am considering a LWFW and new clutch in the near future. GMG has a clutch/LWFW combo that they guarantee eliminates the chatter isssue. I called them (Fabryce) and never got a return call. Please let us know how you like yours both on the street and track. Thanks, Mark
I went with the stock flywheel.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I bought my car from Chuck Jones. We took his iris blue and my vesuvio 996 out to a deserted road and did a few 0-60 runs with my G-tech. After a few hard runs, his clutch was slipping severly on take-off (with only 33,000 miles on it). With that in mind, I don't do multiple hard launches with the car right now, because I would rather spend my money getting my aero kit painted instead of having to buy a clutch right away.
I have done lots of research on superchargers, light weight flywheels, and clutches for my 996 (including here and 6-speed). I just sold a car that had an aftermarket supercharger on it. It has been my experience, that supercharged or highly modified engines creates greater demands on a clutch than a stock engine. I made the mistake once of skimping on buying an adequate clutch for a high performance application. I payed for it by having to replace it after 5,000 miles. I don't plan on doing that again.
You mentioned Comptech. I live about 5 miles away from where they were headquartered. I met the owner one night when my K-9 fell through a false ceiling in their shop, while searching for a burglary suspect. He almost got impaled on indy car engine. They built some incredible cars there...especially the supercharged NSXs. I always think twice about messing with an NSX after seeing what Comptech could do to them.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this issue. That is why I'm asking for advice. There are plenty of guys here that know far more about clutches, LWFWs, and superchargers. I would much rather benefit from their advice, than waste my own money making mistakes. If you search here under LWFW, you will find that there is quite a bit of agreement regarding the stock clutch in our cars and the TTs not being up to the task of large horsepower/torque increases. Most of the magazine articles on modded 996/997 tt and (supercharged) NA models show that the builders changed the stock clutch to accomodate the increased power.

Quick Reply: Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations