996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What changed my mind about LWFW was the fact that the stock FW absorbs vibrations by being
heavier; some of those vibrations also cause RMS failure, resulting in leaks or seepage.
John
Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

John, thanks.
John (JDS), I had read that the LWFW might be less prone to cause RMS failure because of the reduced rotating mass. You make an interesting point. Unfortunatley, I don't have the expertise to decide one way or the other. I know there are several engineers here. Any opinions?
Sorry to hijack your thread John. I would like to make an informed decision when I replace my clutch. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think either way you will have a good amount of leap of faith in your aftermarket clutch setup.def sounds like you're comfy with the idea. go for it.

i love comptech. i'd love a supercharged by comptech nsx. the sc for the s2000 i had was spot on reliable, ez to install and performed well. if i had that kind of assurance with the SC on a 3.6 unit, i'd do it. but alas i do not have the faith in the porsche engine as i do the f20c honda unit and s54 bmw unit.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I'm yet to find a aftermarket clutch that I'm happy with. The one from GMG looked interesting...but I'm not real keen on doing business with a company that can't return calls.
The owner of Comptech and I talked about them doing a supercharger system for the 996 that was actually CA smog legal. I would have been happy to let them use my car as a test mule. Unfortunately, I fear they might have gone out of business. Their location is currently empty and for sale/lease.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

yup they're outta business shad was awesome. if comptech made a unit for porsche... i'd look at it.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have a LWFW, prior to its install I had two RMS failures. No RMS issues since the LWFW. Does anyone else without a LWFW want to tell us why not to get one?

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
What changed my mind about LWFW was the fact that the stock FW absorbs vibrations by being
heavier; some of those vibrations also cause RMS failure, resulting in leaks or seepage.
John
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

DC, do you recommend the LWFW? Are there any drawbacks for a car that is 95% street and 5% track? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try posting your question in the racing/competition sections. those guys probably have more experience.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldnt use a 6-puck disk with a stock pressure plate. Might as well use the stock disk IMO. It is kind of like putting Carillo rods with stock rod bolts, you still have a weak link even though the rods are miles ahead stronger than stock.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 PM
JC3D
Pro

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
try posting your question in the racing/competition sections. those guys probably have more experience.
I made my choice about 20 posts ago. But thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

A drawback for me is the noise. It chatters(even more so with the AC on) in neutral while the clutch is released, and gear noise when driving around at low rpms in high gears. So if you plan on picking up chics with your P-Car like Choi does, then I doubt you'd want your car chattering like an International Rig.

One of the gains is it revs up through 1rst gear faster than before however, seemingly, with the stock flywheel, once it's reved up it stays reved up. So what I'm saying is the only performance gain I see is accelerating from a dead stop and from very low rpms.

As far as heel toeing, it seems easier to heel-toe with the LW flywheel; yet at the same time if you mess up on your heal toe sequence the LWFW is less forgiving, basically because the RPM's drop faster than the stock version.

Originally Posted by Mfletch
DC, do you recommend the LWFW? Are there any drawbacks for a car that is 95% street and 5% track? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

DC, thanks for your candid response. I really appreciate it. My wife probably wouldn't look kindly on the picking up chicks part. GMG claims that they have a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combination that eliminates the chatter problem. I do not know if it is only for the 3.6 or for the 3.4 also. I'm sure the gear noise would still be there. I probably won't do this mod, until I can find someone local that is kind enough to take me for a ride in their modified car.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:02 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I wish there were a quiet version, now I'm not saying GMG is lying but most told me that the Aasco LWFW had no chatter, even my installer (until he finished the install).

I forgot to mention that "one" of my main reasons for the flywheel swap was that the Aasco was actually cheaper (price wise) than purchasing a brand new stock flywheel.

As far as getting a ride you wont "feel" any difference, what you want to do is to get someone to let you drive or at least let you rev the engine a few times. There you will experience the difference.

Originally Posted by Mfletch
DC, thanks for your candid response. I really appreciate it. My wife probably wouldn't look kindly on the picking up chicks part. GMG claims that they have a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combination that eliminates the chatter problem. I do not know if it is only for the 3.6 or for the 3.4 also. I'm sure the gear noise would still be there. I probably won't do this mod, until I can find someone local that is kind enough to take me for a ride in their modified car.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

fletch: with your exhaust I can not imagine the LWFW noise will bother you. I did the Porsche(Sachs) system and love it. Even though you do not track or autox much it is still fun. The greatest advantage of the LWFW is in 1st and 2nd gear. Much faster rev.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have an aasco LWF with a spring centered spec clutch. i absolutely love it. it doesn't make any noise at all. it takes a little bit of getting used to at first; you have to give the car a little more gas to take off smoothly from a stop. you can shift a lot faster since the RPMs drop quicker between shifts. the car also has a lot more pep now.

the spec clutch feels great. it's no more pedal effort than stock.

if you get a LWF, just make sure you get a spring centered clutch. this will essentially do what the dual mass flywheel used to do: absorb driveline shock & reduce chatter.

Quick Reply: Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations