Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

;
Originally Posted by wross996tt
Classic...great thread hijacking folks...sorry I couldn't reply benny, but you have been on my ignore list for at least a year now.

Funny I start up windows from time to time and every time I do I wonder what idiot wrote this operating system. The only crash I have had in the last 10 years is Windows running on my mac. Now back to the Porsche discussion...

Bruce gets it....
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned 3 coupes & now a drop top (cab). The newer the car, the less the top maintenance and the less difference there is between the handling/stiffness of the cab & coupe. My cab seems slightly quieter with the soft top up than with the hard top on. But the car is easier to wash in the winter with the hard top on.

The reasons to own a coupe:
- less epensive
- no top maintenance expenses
- you want to gut it and race it
- you live in an area where you expect people to cut a soft top and break into your car
- you will park it outside in a location that would be hard on any car, but especially on a soft top
- you live in an area where you don't have nice scenery or nice weather.

Reasons to buy a Cabriolet:
- used, it will often sell faster than a coupe
- it is a genuine pleasure on a nice day
- no sunroof maintenance or expenses
- you want to drive your car for pleasure, not just speed
- you have a garage and/or live in a nice neighborhood
- you want to have comparable performance to a coupe, but the additional pleasure of open air motoring.

I rode motorcycles for years. While the dynamics of riding a motorcycle are great, suiting up like SpaceMan Spiff takes a lot of enjoyment out. It's great to be out motoring without all the protective gear. Especially with the extending roll bars on the later cars, the chance that you will be in an accident where the difference in protection between a cab and a coupe actually matters--seems low.

Nothing like a ride in a cab on a nice day to put a smile on your face. While all cars are enjoyable at higher speeds, if you are driving slow through neighborhoods or out on back roads....cabs seem better.

Were I to buy another Porsche, my preference would be for another cab. Good driving technique will make you much faster than the tenth of a second or so that you'd lose with the extra 150lbs of weight. You'd probably find a few tenths difference across similar cars anyway--just error variance.

Drive what gives you a smile.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
So does mine, actually. The networked accounting system my industry uses doesn't support Mac. Ironic in the extreme. (Apple's issue may be as simple as audit requirements).

And I'll add that these two Wintel boxes have needed more IT support and more frequent replacement than everything else I'm running combined.

It's still a Windows world.
The reason is that Apple uses SAP. SAP GUI for the Mac is *** and the web interface is um, not good.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like syrah the best.
As far as coupe or Cabriolet, I'd take the first hot buy I would run into, in my case it happened to be a coupe.
As far as blonds or burnets, same applies.
I married a blonde.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riad
ROFL.. I have users like that.. I tempted to unplug their computer (Mac or PC) and give 'em a white board and some dry erase markers.. that's clearly the level of technology they're comfortable with.

- N

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack.. that wasn't my intention - it was just to point out that some decisions are personal and what works for one doesn't work for another.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
True,

Ponder this: What does that say about Mac's reliability when PC users have less uptime even though they have a greater knowledge of how computers work?
What does it say about Apple's priorities when the machine costs twice as much but uses the same components (laptop processors in a desktop?, integrated graphics?) as pretty much any cheap Wintel box around?

And those iMac ads that show how "nice and clean" it is without all the wires makes me want to scream "It's because you can't UPGRADE the GD thing because they want you to buy a brand NEW machine every time! ANYBODY can build a low-profile, all-in-one computer--it's called a laptop!"
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 - you all are huge nerds

2 - anytime i see any sort of serious business guy sittin in front of a mac... he looks like an overgrown kid i don't know why, but it's just the perception thing of it all and i used to have a mac and i think they're great for what they have to offer, but at the end of the day, i can do more with less $ on windows vista

3 - for those of you who have me on your ignore list and you let me know about it and you think i even remotely begin to care in the near vicinity of caring... well, most of you end up reading my **** anyways cuz curiousity is killing ya... all eyez on me.

I've grown to like the drop to 911. i can understand why someone would pick it over the coupe.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
What does it say about Apple's priorities when the machine costs twice as much but uses the same components (laptop processors in a desktop?, integrated graphics?) as pretty much any cheap Wintel box around?

And those iMac ads that show how "nice and clean" it is without all the wires makes me want to scream "It's because you can't UPGRADE the GD thing because they want you to buy a brand NEW machine every time! ANYBODY can build a low-profile, all-in-one computer--it's called a laptop!"
So much rage...

Not going to debate you on the facts, here, because you're bringing a knife to a gunfight on this subject. But I will say that it's the height of hypocrisy for a Porsche guy to be dissing Mac owners because their machines are too pretty, overpriced and can't be economically user-upgraded. Anybody can build a low-profile, all-in-one car. It's called a Toyota.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

So much rage...

Not going to debate you on the facts, here, because you're bringing a knife to a gunfight on this subject. But I will say that it's the height of hypocrisy for a Porsche guy to be dissing Mac owners because their machines are too pretty, overpriced and can't be economically user-upgraded. Anybody can build a low-profile, all-in-one car. It's called a Toyota.
PC's/Macs - Toyota's to Porsches = a horrible analogy.

I'm a PC guy, I use macs but I can do a lot more with a PC. I have creative control with it. I can upgrade it, buy whatever parts I want from whatever vender. I can play SO many games as well as buy software that is open to be written for the PC.

When you buy a Mac, you buy whatever comes inside. You have NO choice. I've seen brand-new Macs come with video cards that are a year old, with NO choice to upgrade, yet you still pay SO much more. Mac people are monkeys, ney zombies. They have NO control over there own computers.

Time to upgrade a PC, just buy a new Video Card/Motherboard and install... Want to upgrade your Mac? Gotta buy a brand new one.. But boy, those Macs sure do look pretty!!! Mac's are greatest single marketed item. It's amazes me, people just eat 'em up!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
BruceP
Drifting

True about the games. But I don't play games. I'm all grown up.

As for the rest, believe what you like. I actually have to sign cheques for this stuff, and I can tell you hands down that our IT costs are lower and productivity is higher that it would be if I went WinTel. Simple numbers, not open to debate, at least not for my business. As for upgrades, I couldn't say. I've never had to. Even the transition to OSX a few years back only put two machines on the block. All the rest could run it, and many are still in service. I'm glad you're happy with your computer and that you can tinker with it and that it will do what you want it to do. Unfortunately, no WinTel machine can do what I need a computer to do.

But it just amazes me that people like you can find the energy to get so worked up about it. It's a freakin' appliance, dude. You want to argue about fridges and stoves next?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone over the threads and given it more thought. I decided coupe is the way to go and I also like big Macs, nothing against the Whopper.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.

Anybody can build a low-profile, all-in-one car. It's called a Toyota.
No, its called a Tata

http://www.hindu.com/2008/01/11/stor...1161870100.htm

- Nick

P.S. This whole freakin' Mac vs. PC thing is silly in the extreme, and I'm *really* sorry I bought it up (my apologies to the OP). It's a freakin COMPUTER, for Pete's sake.. a piece of hardware with some software on top. Buy what you like, run what you like. Don't get your knickers in a twist 'cause someone else has different tastes.

Anybody want to start a Suze vs. Ubuntu vs Redhat war? How about gnome vs KDE? Emacs vs Vi?

P.P.S. Obligatory contribution to the OP's actual question.. one thing to think about is the removable hardtop on the Cabriolets helps in the winter.. No, it's still not a coupe, but definitely feels more buttoned up with the hardtop on for the cold weather.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Now that hurt.

Tata is likely about to acquire Jaguar and Land Rover.

Man, is it National Irony Day and I missed it?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

+1 and don't forget the obvious, "real men" drive Cabrio 911's only people who aren't real men would dissagree.

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I have owned 3 coupes & now a drop top (cab). The newer the car, the less the top maintenance and the less difference there is between the handling/stiffness of the cab & coupe. My cab seems slightly quieter with the soft top up than with the hard top on. But the car is easier to wash in the winter with the hard top on.

The reasons to own a coupe:
- less epensive
- no top maintenance expenses
- you want to gut it and race it
- you live in an area where you expect people to cut a soft top and break into your car
- you will park it outside in a location that would be hard on any car, but especially on a soft top
- you live in an area where you don't have nice scenery or nice weather.

Reasons to buy a Cabriolet:
- used, it will often sell faster than a coupe
- it is a genuine pleasure on a nice day
- no sunroof maintenance or expenses
- you want to drive your car for pleasure, not just speed
- you have a garage and/or live in a nice neighborhood
- you want to have comparable performance to a coupe, but the additional pleasure of open air motoring.

I rode motorcycles for years. While the dynamics of riding a motorcycle are great, suiting up like SpaceMan Spiff takes a lot of enjoyment out. It's great to be out motoring without all the protective gear. Especially with the extending roll bars on the later cars, the chance that you will be in an accident where the difference in protection between a cab and a coupe actually matters--seems low.

Nothing like a ride in a cab on a nice day to put a smile on your face. While all cars are enjoyable at higher speeds, if you are driving slow through neighborhoods or out on back roads....cabs seem better.

Were I to buy another Porsche, my preference would be for another cab. Good driving technique will make you much faster than the tenth of a second or so that you'd lose with the extra 150lbs of weight. You'd probably find a few tenths difference across similar cars anyway--just error variance.

Drive what gives you a smile.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

WTF?! LOL!! A 180, huh?

[QUOTE=Benjamin Choi;4969544]1 - you all are huge nerds

2 - anytime i see any sort of serious business guy sittin in front of a mac... he looks like an overgrown kid i don't know why, but it's just the perception thing of it all and i used to have a mac and i think they're great for what they have to offer, but at the end of the day, i can do more with less $ on windows vista

3 - for those of you who have me on your ignore list and you let me know about it and you think i even remotely begin to care in the near vicinity of caring... well, most of you end up reading my **** anyways cuz curiousity is killing ya... all eyez on me.

I've grown to like the drop to 911. i can understand why someone would pick it over the coupe.[/QUOTE[/SIZE]]

Quick Reply: Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche