Sponsored by:

Track Pads? Specific Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Track Pads? Specific Questions

Hey folks...need some input. It has been quite a while since I was on a track with a Porsche. I have been running Performance Friction 01's for some time on my old M3 and LOVED them. I found them for my C2 but would like some input...

I intend to run street tires at the next event. (can't find what I want for track wheels/tires) Likely Michelin PS2's. The PO of the car had some S02's on her, but a turbo sizing setup. 225/40 front and 295/30 rear. My intention is to go back to the proper GT3 tire size, if possible.

So with that said - brake pads. Any suggestions? I did a search, but only came up with some aggressive setups. May be too much for the street tires.

C.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad,
I plan on changing out my pads after each event.. I wanted more aggressive for the D.E. and did not want my D.D. time dictating, what I could run.
I will keep stock on the street.

my .02

Jerry
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the reply, Jerry...but that really doesn't help me. Read more carefully please.

I too am swapping pads. Need suggestions on which pads for a couple events running street tires.

C.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Never had an issue with the stock pads while I was on street tires. I guess this could depend quite a bit on the track.

Fresh Motul 600 and stock pads while I learned the car on the 225/285 Pirelli's.

Coming from my M3 background and knowing how inadequate the stock pads were on that car and how quickly I could heat up track pads in that car even on street tires, I was pleasantly suprised at how versitile the stock 996 pads are.

Andy
Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Pagid orange with P Zero tires (225/285). I don't think that high performance pads are too aggressive in combination with street tires. The brakes don't really get stronger, they just work better under hard braking that causes higher temperatures. You don't change the surface size of the rotors or the pads with a different compound.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hwk72
I run Pagid orange with P Zero tires (225/285). I don't think that high performance pads are too aggressive in combination with street tires. The brakes don't really get stronger, they just work better under hard braking that causes higher temperatures. You don't change the surface size of the rotors or the pads with a different compound.

Sort of...

There are many grades of performance track brake pads. Some are VERY aggressive. The grip levels of street tires are much less than full DOT track tires or Hoosier-daddy's. Thus, the chance for the ABS kicking in is greater. Not what I want.

I am looking for an in the middle pad. Sounds like the Pagid Oranges might do the trick.

C.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Although it's been years, I've run the Pagid Orange on my non-ABS 951 with street tires. No issues with unintended lockup; you just don't need to push the pedal as hard once things get heated up. However, I don't like the way the Pagids seem to bake crap out onto the rotors and cause a warped rotor feel until you get them hot and clean the rotors off. Hawk Blue or Black seem to be a better pad in that regard.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chads996
Sort of...

There are many grades of performance track brake pads. Some are VERY aggressive. The grip levels of street tires are much less than full DOT track tires or Hoosier-daddy's. Thus, the chance for the ABS kicking in is greater. Not what I want.

I am looking for an in the middle pad. Sounds like the Pagid Oranges might do the trick.

C.
That's actually an interesting aspect Chad! I had the Pagid orange pads on the car for the last 2 events (stock pads before that). The first event I used them, they were great; no issue at all. Then I changed my tires from BS Potenza to P Zero, changed wheels from solid turbo twists to much lighter 5-spokes and added GT3 sway bars to the car (H&R lowering springs on stock shocks).

On the 2nd event with the new pads I realized that the front end of the car was really nervous, especially during hard braking with ABS kicking in quite frequently. I thought it's the stock shocks that can't adjust quick enought due to the reduced body roll with the GT3 sway bars and maybe due to the reduced unsprung weight with the lighter wheels. But it could also be that the brake pads or a combination of all aspects caused the issue. I further know that my tires were not broken in too much before the event (approx. 500 street miles) and it took 2-3 sessions to see improved grip. I'm in the process of upgarding my suspension so next spring I might know more.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
Although it's been years, I've run the Pagid Orange on my non-ABS 951 with street tires. No issues with unintended lockup; you just don't need to push the pedal as hard once things get heated up. However, I don't like the way the Pagids seem to bake crap out onto the rotors and cause a warped rotor feel until you get them hot and clean the rotors off. Hawk Blue or Black seem to be a better pad in that regard.

Thanks Doug. I might try out the PFC's on the Carrera. They were incredible on the E46 M3. No nervous twitchyness or anything. At one point braking from the 150 marker at 10A on Road Atlanta was like the hand of god.

Curious about the 996...

C.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hwk72
I further know that my tires were not broken in too much before the event (approx. 500 street miles) and it took 2-3 sessions to see improved grip. I'm in the process of upgarding my suspension so next spring I might know more.
My bet it was the new, cold tires. Lockup will happen easier until the set come to temp...

C.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:49 AM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad
My bad. just got one cup in me

I never would of thought that about the ABS??? We will see
I will be running PFC 97 at the next D.E. this month, Last D.E. I had the ABS hit one time (stock pads) , Car in front slowed down (too much for a turn) and I had to stop early, ABS popped on and off. other than that smooth
Jerry
Old 12-31-2007, 11:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't be running PFC01's with PS2's or any street tire. I run them on the GT3 but with sticky tires. Unless you are a pro at brake modulation then move down and match the friction characteristic and torque of the pad with your rubber and more importantly the working temp of the pad. Personally, I think you would be fine with something like a RS19. The Pagid Orange is crap and not a good pad for what you want.....too harsh for the street and not good enough for the track.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LVDell
Personally, I wouldn't be running PFC01's with PS2's or any street tire. I run them on the GT3 but with sticky tires. Unless you are a pro at brake modulation then move down and match the friction characteristic and torque of the pad with your rubber and more importantly the working temp of the pad. Personally, I think you would be fine with something like a RS19. The Pagid Orange is crap and not a good pad for what you want.....too harsh for the street and not good enough for the track.
Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks Dell. I figured the 01's would be a bit aggressive. I love the PFC's.

I'll check out the RS19's. Thanks. BTW- are you going to Roebling in Jan?

C.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very welcome. I actually ran the RS19 with PS2's on both my CAB and my GT3. Great combo. Still a touch aggressive but with proper brake modulation it is a great setup. The PS2 is by far (IMHO) the best street tire for the track.

No go on RR in Jan. My first event is VIR in Feb.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chad,

I had been using Pagid Orange's as my street/track pad (on the 986). They work fairly well in that role (good cold friction for street, not too rotor aggressive) with one exception. I have had some pad transfer problems.

I recently switched to Yellows, but I have not taken them to the track yet

Last edited by Ray S; 12-31-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Track Pads? Specific Questions