Sponsored by:

Track Pads? Specific Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
bk12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad,

Let us know what you ended up doing and how it worked....I am in the same boat, and am curious to hear your observations.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Galun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are looking for a pad which performs in a relatively lower operating temperature due to the street tires.

I suggest checking out the cobalt friction line of pads. http://www.cobaltfriction.com/compounds/ Personally I run the XR3 in front and XR2 in the back with Toyo rcomps, and it was a great setup. Great initial bite when cold (as in when I leave for the track at 4am when outside temperature is 37F the brakes are still decent), very predictible braking characteristics, and no fade at all after running continously for 1.5 hrs at buttonwillow in the summer. There is also relatively little brake dust because of higher ceramic content. I ran PFC01 or 97 (forgot which one) before and switched to the cobalt friction line about 3 years ago, and haven't looked back since.

You can just call up their toll free number on the website and ask to speak with a technical person. Tell them what you want to acheive and they can probably recommend a compound for you.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been happy with Ferodo DS2500 as a compromise street/track pad. Check out this info at raceshopper.com:

http://www.raceshopper.com/ferodo_compounds.shtml
Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Pagid Yellow with Brembo GT brakes and drilled rotrs (will go to slotted rotors next) and Michelin Sport Cup. The yellows work great and I know others in my area have had good success. I think they are Yellow 29
Old 01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I can only speak from experience. I burned up my stock pads and cracked my front rotors after 2 DE days on street (PS2) tires two years ago. I then went to Pagid 19 front, and Pagid 14 rear because several of the 996 GT3 guys at the time said the modulation balanced the car. After 17 DE days (the GT3 is now a track only car) the front pads are almost ready to be replaced, the rears still have plenty of life left, and both my front & rear rotors are well within tolerance. I also added the cup brake ducts (huge improvement with airflow, but hang almost 1.5 inches lower to the ground than stock) and run Castol SRF brake fluid. Even in desert heat, it has yet to boil. I love this set up.

I DE 100% of the time at MMP, a very fast track with 23 turns and a long (.67 mile) straight. It is especailly fast because the track is wide and has little elevation change. I have run 12 of the last 17 DE days on Sport Cups (R Comps).

Does that help? Good luck!

-B

Quick Reply: Track Pads? Specific Questions