Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007 | 12:35 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=ls911;4909597]
Originally Posted by JJB236
That's right. I'm the one who always tell my friends: You only live once, but also you're only young once. Regardless of height being 6'2" and looking a little odd with the size of the P-cars, I need that 997 S in my garage. Fast approaching big 40 got me started exploring to other cars like BMW M6 and 750 (for business meetings) to go w my age and status in the business world. But those 2/4 door sedans are just so damn boring (exception of an M6, but 6-series are already a dime a dozen in L.A. M6 just doesn't have the Porsche charisma) It was the 10 years of luxurious ride in my Benz that pushed me to get the race cars like the Vette and 996.

Thanks for trying to relate to us little folks.
Just make sure nobody important sees you. If so you must duck down or your business status might be damaged beyond repair.

Wow where ever you found that, it's getting on the fantasy side of things.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BruceP
Yes, you will save a lot of taxes. Here's why. If you finance, you will pay interest charges on the order of 7-10%. You will pay these charges in after tax dollars, of course. Meanwhile, you will put your free cash into investments, which will earn about 8% with a moderate risk profile. This 8% will be taxed as a capital gain. And all the while, your membership that you financed will depreciate, even as the bulk of your payments go to finance charges rather than building equity.

Now, you're thinking to yourself, Bruce, are you mad? I'm paying taxes on my regular income, then spending it on interest charges to acquire a depreciating asset, so that I can put my capital into investments upon which I will be taxed! Crazy? Like a fox. Because, you see, if you keep that up, you will get poorer and poorer until eventually you don't have to pay any taxes at all. See?

Like a fox.
pay attention. there will be a pop quiz from prof bruce later.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:38 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
Pls share the phone number of your family lawyer or I am living in the wrong country.
I don't know what it's like down there. Up here, divorce is no-fault, it's 50% of your assets and child support is indexed to income (very easily running to thousands a month). There are two big ways you can get screwed: one is if your spouse didn't work outside the home during the marriage, and the other is if you own a business, in which case valuation and future earnings can become very contentious. It's not pretty. But at least it's not Ireland.

But that's another thread...
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:40 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Yes, you will save a lot of taxes. Here's why. If you finance, you will pay interest charges on the order of 7-10%. You will pay these charges in after tax dollars, of course. Meanwhile, you will put your free cash into investments, which will earn about 8% with a moderate risk profile. This 8% will be taxed as a capital gain. And all the while, your membership that you financed will depreciate, even as the bulk of your payments go to finance charges rather than building equity.

Now, you're thinking to yourself, Bruce, are you mad? I'm paying taxes on my regular income, then spending it on interest charges to acquire a depreciating asset, so that I can put my capital into investments upon which I will be taxed! Crazy? Like a fox. Because, you see, if you keep that up, you will get poorer and poorer until eventually you don't have to pay any taxes at all. See?

Like a fox.
So if I follow your advice I can turn my millions into thousands and my thousand into hundreds and my hundreds into food stamps? Sign my broke *** up!!
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:41 PM
ls911
Pro

We should start a "who is the richest 996 owner?" thread.

I nominate me. I have two ex wives, and I still pay someone else to change my oil. I MUST be the richest.
This will be a tough one, I envy anyone that has a 996 and 2 ex wives, WOW.

Here is my story playaz

I am a business world stud, money is no object, period.

My other car is a 1997 4Runner. No big deal? well it is a "LIMITED" edition, not many like it, I had all the windows tinted, paid cash.

I spared no expense in finding my 996. I financed an international search, no expense spared. Result - Slightly used 2001 996, EXACTLY what I was searching for.

Now, if we need a tie breaker I suggest we go with looks.
I have a set of guns that can't be touched, don't make me put on sleeveless shirt.
Also, as I've mentioned before, I am hung like a horse.
Draw back - It's very hard to get in and out of my 996.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:43 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by Eharrison
You forgot to point out the membership was for the 2003 fiscal year.
See that's why I'm destined to be broke, I always forget relevant info. Thankfully I still have my dad's bmw.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:48 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by ls911
My other car is a 1997 4Runner. No big deal? well it is a "LIMITED" edition, not many like it, I had all the windows tinted, paid cash.

. . .
Also, as I've mentioned before, I am hung like a horse.
If you paid cash then you're a broke bitch too. Rich people finance. Simple fact. You'll be downgrading to a bicycle soon enough.

On the bright side it looks like you have a built in kickstand for your Schwinn.
Old 12-23-2007 | 01:03 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by RutgersU
If you paid cash then you're a broke bitch too. Rich people finance. Simple fact. You'll be downgrading to a bicycle soon enough.

On the bright side it looks like you have a built in kickstand for your Schwinn.
Ok. Fine, I will spell it out for you.
I took a cash advance on my multi- platinum visa for the tint job, I am not stupid.
Please don't call me a broke bitch, that hurt.
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:05 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by RutgersU
So if I follow your advice I can turn my millions into thousands and my thousand into hundreds and my hundreds into food stamps? Sign my broke *** up!!
Can't believe you clowns are still at it. Just dropped in at the 997 to get some info. If you have this much free time, go volunteer your *ss serving food to the homeless. No wonder you are in the 996 forum, not 997.

Hey, mr John or Jim of Dallas/Fort Worth, whatever your name is.... For a guy who used to whine like a girl about this rennlist being full of non-p related topics in 2001, I guess you are now a part of it. What a waste of time... 6 f-ing years. Folks, you will end up like this dude, chained to the rennlist for the rest of your life.

For a guy who can impress the forum w your previous post researching abilities, I wonder why you couldn't apply the same skill in locating a simple thing like a stereo removal kit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/15636-radio-removal-tool-where-to-buy.html

That being said, if you want to fill up the pages again, and continue wasting the most valuable commodity the time, you or any internet buddies of yours, we will see who will lose out in the end. Yeah, keep at it for another 10, 20 years. Go at it with your keyboard, platoon of rennlist raiders, while I go enjoy the holidays. Cheers
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:14 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like someone got sent to his room.
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:37 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chsu74
If I had the millions like he did, I would upgrade my dad from a crappy 745i to a new 760IL without thinking.
I do get a chuckle out of the people that advertise someone else's car in their avatar or sig file; if someone really wants to know what my dad drives, feel free to PM me.

Since my local dealership lets me test drive any car they stock, maybe I'll just copy their weekly stock list into all my posts. THAT will impress the ladies!
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:52 PM
RutgersU
Racer

. . .Just dropped in at the 997 to get some info. If you have this much free time, go volunteer your *ss serving food to the homeless. No wonder you are in the 996 forum, not 997.
Feed the homeless are you nuts, I am homeless. I have to stop paying cash for thing and finance them so I can build some wealth. Maybe move up from my refrigerator box.

When you "dropped in at the 997" did you get there in your dad's bmw?
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:54 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by ls911
Ok. Fine, I will spell it out for you.
I took a cash advance on my multi- platinum visa for the tint job, I am not stupid.
Please don't call me a broke bitch, that hurt.
Sorry to offend but you're a broke bitch. We can smell our own. Unless you lease or finance you're poor as dirt.
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:58 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

too funny the herd mentality in this place - it's like someone feels they've got a bone to pick then another dude thinks he'll be cool and pick some more and then someone confirms it's been picked which then ends up being a nice elementary school gangsta brawl. WAHAHHAHHA

jjb, like i said several times here already, get the 997 and tell these kids recess is over.
Old 12-23-2007 | 03:36 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Ben, I think you've made the wrong call on this one. The OP seems to be digging his own hole the others are just cheering him on to dig deeper.

hwk72 made a reasonable assumption (probably based on the wording in the original question and that fact that he lists his daddy's BMW as one of the cars in his sig). It's the OP that turned this into an "I've got more $$ than anybody" type of thread. (He very well may have, but do you really anounce that to a bunch of strangers on the internet???)

Look back to the start of the thread and you'll see that everyone was just trying to be geniuinely helpful.

In fact, hwk72 appologized...

Originally Posted by hwk72
You are right, I didn't mean any harm with my comments.
and he got another shot for his efforts....

You will be surprised how many people in their own long-term profession miss the big scheme of things. Sounds like you missed something in b-school
JJB236, my sincere advice....stop digging....

edit.. Or better still just close the thread.

Quick Reply: Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?