Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
just like that G35 drag race one. this is turning into another my sh!ong is bigger than yours thread.
I'm in

You Finance bitchez ever been on the cover of Fortune???

jk - if you don't like my cover you can make your own here

http://www.magmypic.com
Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackel
I'm curious. If you've got the cash, why not the Turbo?
+1

When will we see your Socal turbo cab? A really good friend of mine just turned his 04 turbo cab in for the new one and its nice. can't bring it out until spring though..
Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had more millions than people could even imagine I would not be contemplating between an upgrade or late model Rover.
I also would not be talking crap about my great wealth.

By the way in case anybody is wondering I am hung like a horse.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
If I had more millions than people could even imagine I would not be contemplating between an upgrade or late model Rover.

I love it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
The wealthiest people I know don't pay cash for their cars. Why? Because they're farther ahead to pay the interest and not tie up $100k just to drive a car.
There is only one practical reason to finance a car, and that's if you're able to write it off. Otherwise, it's a ridiculous waste of money to pay interest charges on a depreciating asset, especially when you realize that they're front end loaded. That's called renting. You know what the richest people I know do? If they can't put a car in a business or write off lease payments, they buy used (unless they're ludicrously rich, and even then not always...). You don't get rich eating the kind of depreciation a luxury car undergoes in its first three years of life.

You're right that they don't tie up $100K in a car. They wait until it's a couple of years old and buy it at half price.

If you're financing a car you love, that's cool, but call it what it is: A recreation expense. Like travel, for example. If it still seems worth it, then enjoy.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL....
Old 12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
There is only one practical reason to finance a car, and that's if you're able to write it off. Otherwise, it's a ridiculous waste of money to pay interest charges on a depreciating asset, especially when you realize that they're front end loaded. That's called renting. You know what the richest people I know do? If they can't put a car in a business or write off lease payments, they buy used (unless they're ludicrously rich, and even then not always...). You don't get rich eating the kind of depreciation a luxury car undergoes in its first three years of life.

You're right that they don't tie up $100K in a car. They wait until it's a couple of years old and buy it at half price.

If you're financing a car you love, that's cool, but call it what it is: A recreation expense. Like travel, for example. If it still seems worth it, then enjoy.
+1
Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I think we're talking different levels of "rich", because what you're describing is what *I* do, and I don't put myself in the same category as the guys I'm thinking of--the ones that don't really have to even worry about buying a $100+k car.

Sure, I don't get hung up on the price of my car. It may not be worth it to someone else, but I'm the only one that's got to be comfortable with it. Some guys have a fishing boat, some guys have a cabin in the woods...I have a Porsche. I think I got the better deal.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Fair distinction. Those guys do exist, no doubt. I was at a party with one the other night who just got his second helicopter and is expecting delivery of his Gulfstream in the spring. That's who I was thinking of when I said 'ludicrously rich'.

But I gotta say, in my work I spend a lot of time wallowing about in demographic data. Guys like you and me don't like to think of ourselves this way, but in the scheme of things we ARE rich. Lucky, and rich.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Jackel
I'm curious. If you've got the cash, why not the Turbo?

For me, I'll either upgrade (later) to the 996 Turbo Coupe or add an EVOMS I/C Supercharger and exhaust to my 996 C4 Cab. But, I don't have the big $$ like some folks here do. Also, I don't live in LA. A regular driver in CO is AWD. Besides, a $12k Hayabusa is probably my next (and only) vehicle that will see sub 12 second 1/4 miles...

More power to you if you do. I love seeing them on the road and at the track (Stock 996TT's only run mid 13 1/4 mile's up here).

In your case the Turbo seems like the obvious choice to me, especially if its not a daily car.

Too bad you're not into Vettes. They are the best speed for the money, IMHO.

You know cars aren't everything in life. Did you know that MicroSoft Bill Gates daily driver is 1999 996? Of course, he has a set of other exotic cars in his garage. I had my shares of sports cars, I already had my 996 for 6 years now. My New Year resolution is moving into a larger house with a guest house in the backyard. And I'm talking about So Cal real estate.

Prior to my getting the 996, I thought my next one will be a turbo. But as years go by, Turbo's seem just too much of everything. So I have been eyeing on the C4S which is discreet and not too obviously pretentious with a big Turbo badgo in the rear. Non-P car owners hardly knows the difference between C2 from C4S.

Btw, I had a Vette as you can see from my signature. Dangerously fun car to drive. Got rid of it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
You know cars aren't everything in life. Did you know that MicroSoft Bill Gates daily driver is 1999 996? Of course, he has a set of other exotic cars in his garage. I had my shares of sports cars, I already had my 996 for 6 years now. My New Year resolution is moving into a larger house with a guest house in the backyard. And I'm talking about So Cal real estate.

Prior to my getting the 996, I thought my next one will be a turbo. But as years go by, Turbo's seem just too much of everything. So I have been eyeing on the C4S which is discreet and not too obviously pretentious with a big Turbo badgo in the rear. Non-P car owners hardly knows the difference between C2 from C4S.

Btw, I had a Vette as you can see from my signature. Dangerously fun car to drive. Got rid of it.
because people dont' know... a c4s is just as pretentious as the turbo - it's all about presentation aka modifications trust me

and as for billy's daily.... not true. maybe in 1999.

get the 997 and shut these guys up already
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM
JJB236
Racer

And your reading comprehension level is below elementary school. Same for those dudes who said +1 b/b. Not just once did you misquoted me, but f ing twice. Go back and re-read what I wrote and quote me correctly if youre capable so you can at redeem yourself instead of looking like a mentally challeged. It looks like the greatest joy of most guys' in this forum is their 996 in their pathetic 2 car garage. There are more to life than P-cars. Go out see the world, instead of spending all your time typing away on an empty screen.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
because people dont' know... a c4s is just as pretentious as the turbo - it's all about presentation aka modifications trust me

and as for billy's daily.... not true. maybe in 1999.

get the 997 and shut these guys up already
Ha ha. I hear ya. It'll be a while since I come back in here. A new project came up that will tie up my time for the next 2 weeks. Stay outa trouble during the holiday and enjoy L.A. if you're gonna be here again, Ben.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

My only brother passed away two years ago at age 46 - unexpected and he was a total health nut. Brought to me the reality to enjoy life while you can - do what you enjoy. I am going to get rid of the DD (Mercedez) and my 996 C4S. I have a 08 997TT ordered (February build) and will drive it every day with a smile on my face!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by JJB236
And your reading comprehension level is below elementary school. Same for those dudes who said +1 b/b. Not just once did you misquoted me, but f ing twice. Go back and re-read what I wrote and quote me correctly if youre capable so you can at redeem yourself instead of looking like a mentally challeged. It looks like the greatest joy of most guys' in this forum is their 996 in their pathetic 2 car garage. There are more to life than P-cars. Go out see the world, instead of spending all your time typing away on an empty screen.

oops!!! did not mean to bust your fantasy world bubble. I will promptly return to my little garage and hope one day I grow up to be a big stud like you

Quick Reply: Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?