Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Multi-million dollar investments and car payments - hmmm funny combination. But get what you want and have fun, the 997 C2S is a great car!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
Multi-million dollar investments and car payments - hmmm funny combination. But get what you want and have fun, the 997 C2S is a great car!
Thanks, buddy. FYI For those who don't understand the world of finance, they think paying cash for a car is the only way to show wealth. I can make way more than a double digit return from my real estate development and I earn more in interst income than what banks charge me in financing cost. But then, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'm sure you didn't mean any harm with your comments. Cheers!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:42 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Default Yeah, understanding the world of finance

Originally Posted by JJB236
Thanks, buddy. FYI For those who don't understand the world of finance, they think paying cash for a car is the only way to show wealth. I can make way more than a double digit return from my real estate development and I earn more in interst income than what banks charge me in financing cost. But then, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'm sure you didn't mean any harm with your comments. Cheers!
You are right, I didn't mean any harm with my comments.

However, you may say I don't understand the world of Porsche but finance is my profession since I graduated from business school more than 10 years ago. Financing a car only makes sense if you can get subsidised from a marketing fund of the manufacturer and the interest rate seems to be below interbank rates. Other than that it's for "wealthy" people usually nonsense (assuming there is no tax advantage).

In a world where you can borrow money for some basis points above interbank rates, especially if you can guarantee with assets, you don't need car financing if you want to play the gamble of leveraging.

Mixing up risk classes of investments is a usual argument from those who believe to understand the world of finance. The car payment is fix. The double digit return of investments in an environment with single digit money market rates not.

But, this is a Porsche board and it's correct that we should better talk about the sexy lines of the 911.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
JJB236
Racer

You are right, I didn't mean any harm with my comments.

However, you may say I don't understand the world of Porsche but finance is my profession since I graduated from business school more than 10 years ago. Financing a car only makes sense if you can get subsidised from a marketing fund of the manufacturer and the interest rate seems to be below interbank rates. Other than that it's for "wealthy" people usually nonsense (assuming there is no tax advantage).

In a world where you can borrow money for some basis points above interbank rates, especially if you can guarantee with assets, you don't need car financing if you want to play the gamble of leveraging.

Mixing up risk classes of investments is a usual argument from those who believe to understand the world of finance. The car payment is fix. The double digit return of investments in an environment with single digit money market rates not.

But, this is a Porsche board and it's correct that we should better talk about the sexy lines of the 911.
You will be surprised how many people in their own long-term profession miss the big scheme of things. Sounds like you missed something in b-school Time is money, use the time wisely and get a side-job or something instead of preaching rudimentary-finance to the unwary who might actually believe you make a point. It made me laugh so it wasn't all that bad. Leveraging has never been a gamble for me, it's my game in the world of commercial real estate and investment banking. I have big-shot finance guys like you who think they know it all writing up my deals and begging for deals from me all the time ha ha. You're only young once, go get your Carrera GT and live your life on the edge
Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

The wealthiest people I know don't pay cash for their cars. Why? Because they're farther ahead to pay the interest and not tie up $100k just to drive a car.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by skiracer
Upgrade the P-car and enjoy your life before changes are imposed upon you.
Nicely put. Cheers
Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i was gonna treat, but nevermind, you're buying
ha ha you're decription of the Rovers as an appliance and P-cars as an experience in another post is a classic. Lotsa hotties in Asian clubs here, as you probably know already
Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha ha you're decription of the Rovers as an appliance and P-cars as an experience in another post is a classic. Lotsa hotties in Asian clubs here, as you probably know already
Yes, yes but don't assume I only date azn girls (was at the Velvet Room on Saturday nite and yes, my friends are beautiful).

I like them ****-asians too. And them latinas. And the milk chocolates. LA, HI, Barcelona, Rome, there's no shortage of them. So long as they're in their mid to early 20s I'm cool.

Jay Z - Girls, girls, girls

Check out an F-car while you're at it.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

You will be surprised how many people in their own long-term profession miss the big scheme of things. Sounds like you missed something in b-school Time is money, use the time wisely and get a side-job or something instead of preaching rudimentary-finance to the unwary who might actually believe you make a point. It made me laugh so it wasn't all that bad. Leveraging has never been a gamble for me, it's my game in the world of commercial real estate and investment banking. I have big-shot finance guys like you who think they know it all writing up my deals and begging for deals from me all the time ha ha. You're only young once, go get your Carrera GT and live your life on the edge
You sound like a banker during the new economy bubble: "old economy rules are not working for the new economy". They all woke up one day. I fear that you are the one who misses the most basic rule of financial markets: There's only one risk free interest rate. Your "game in the world of commercial real estate" has very limited to do with this risk free interest rate but you can be sure that your car payment is based on this risk free interest rate so comparing "low" financing cost behind a car payment and (potential) double digit returns on the real estate market is stupid, nothing else. That's my point; if you want to ignore it and insist that I missed something, just believe in your "free lunch", that's your choice. Btw, I currently don't feel like I need investments in real estate - wonder why?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

just like that G35 drag race one. this is turning into another my sh!ong is bigger than yours thread.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chsu74
just like that G35 drag race one. this is turning into another my sh!ong is bigger than yours thread.
... you're right, so I'll let have Mr. Cool his last word (at the end it's his thread; so sorry for hijacking it) and get out of here.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 PM
JJB236
Racer

You sound like a banker during the new economy bubble: "old economy rules are not working for the new economy". They all woke up one day. I fear that you are the one who misses the most basic rule of financial markets: There's only one risk free interest rate. Your "game in the world of commercial real estate" has very limited to do with this risk free interest rate but you can be sure that your car payment is based on this risk free interest rate so comparing "low" financing cost behind a car payment and (potential) double digit returns on the real estate market is stupid, nothing else. That's my point; if you want to ignore it and insist that I missed something, just believe in your "free lunch", that's your choice. Btw, I currently don't feel like I need investments in real estate - wonder why?
Wow, another theory from Mr. Wannabe Gordon Gekko who thinks he's on top of the financial world bragging about his precise investment timing.

Btw, I currently don't feel like I need investments in real estate - wonder why?
We know... you can't afford it.

Stop trying to play a tough guy behind the internet picking fights in forums. Typical traits for losers. Bet you're probably a bald guy with a beer belly and a fat ***.

Last edited by JJB236; 12-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Yes, yes but don't assume I only date azn girls (was at the Velvet Room on Saturday nite and yes, my friends are beautiful).

I like them ****-asians too. And them latinas. And the milk chocolates. LA, HI, Barcelona, Rome, there's no shortage of them. So long as they're in their mid to early 20s I'm cool.

Jay Z - Girls, girls, girls

Check out an F-car while you're at it.
I didn't assume. I'm the one who's been into azn girls lately. Ah, the VR on Normandie. Girls are pretty young there - mostly college crowd. You must be pretty young... late 20's? Typical age group there are 20's and 30's. The curves on them Latinas are the most provocative. Sounds like you got a nice set of your own groupie going there in every city. Nice.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Jackel
Instructor

I'm curious. If you've got the cash, why not the Turbo?

For me, I'll either upgrade (later) to the 996 Turbo Coupe or add an EVOMS I/C Supercharger and exhaust to my 996 C4 Cab. But, I don't have the big $$ like some folks here do. Also, I don't live in LA. A regular driver in CO is AWD. Besides, a $12k Hayabusa is probably my next (and only) vehicle that will see sub 12 second 1/4 miles...

More power to you if you do. I love seeing them on the road and at the track (Stock 996TT's only run mid 13 1/4 mile's up here).

In your case the Turbo seems like the obvious choice to me, especially if its not a daily car.

Too bad you're not into Vettes. They are the best speed for the money, IMHO.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't assume. I'm the one who's been into azn girls lately. Ah, the VR on Normandie. Girls are pretty young there - mostly college crowd. You must be pretty young... late 20's? Typical age group there are 20's and 30's. The curves on them Latinas are the most provocative. Sounds like you got a nice set of your own groupie going there in every city. Nice.
yea on friday we hit up the bar at viceroy and that was pretty chill. in october when i was in town, we did les deux and roosevelt. i think next time in town i'll do VR again but opera/area to mix it up some more. i just wanna get a sampling of what LA's got to offer int erms of nitelife because daytime is just always so sunny which leaves a lot of room to do some outdoorsy stuff.

saw a 997c4s w/ factory aerokit on sunset with the multispoke factory gray wheels with silver outer lip which is one of the better looking factory wheels offered on the 997. looked great. if i had this car, i'd slam it on a set of 20" silver work brombachers, add techart sideskirts and call it a day for the next 5 yrs. what an absolutely stunning car that would be.

as for the d!ck measuring contest going on here... keep at it. i don't even read thru it all.

Quick Reply: Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?