Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
If you are so rich, how come you don't spring for Membership in Rennlist??? Probably half the price of a carton of cigarettes or a short snort. Or is your post a joke???
Dipping without a chip

Yes it is all a joke, you would have to look back, but it is probably not worth it

That is really a picture of Donald Trumps house for sale
Old 12-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL - I thought it looked like it had been scanned from a magazine

BTW: I'm lurking over here with the water babies perusing owners comments on the 996's since I am secretly coveting from a maintainability and DD/commuting perspective...

mar

Originally Posted by ls911
Dipping without a chip

Yes it is all a joke, you would have to look back, but it is probably not worth it

That is really a picture of Donald Trumps house for sale
Old 12-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Rennlist should set up some software that hooks phrases that identify threads like this and color them green...

Phrases like:
"What should I do?"
"Your opinion"
"Who asked you?"
"You don't know me"
"I have more money than you'll ever see"
"I own (insert valuable asset)"
"idiot"
And finally a link to a thread from the OP blowing the doors off of the whole charade.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:56 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
LOL - I thought it looked like it had been scanned from a magazine

BTW: I'm lurking over here with the water babies perusing owners comments on the 996's since I am secretly coveting from a maintainability and DD/commuting perspective...

mar
mar

you can probably get a nice well maintained c4 in the mid to high 20s for a dd and keep the 993 for weekends.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

It is very possible JJB earned his millions & finance education during the last year since that previous post.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

true but he would be living in his dream home with a "guest house" and not just talking about it.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 AM
RutgersU
Racer

On an unrelated note does anyone know how I can change my signature to include the car I borrow from my dad. Although I have millions I like to "roll" in my dad's car sometimes. It helps me relate better to you little folks. TIA
Old 12-23-2007, 12:00 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We should start a "who is the richest 996 owner?" thread.

I nominate me. I have two ex wives, and I still pay someone else to change my oil. I MUST be the richest.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

my next plan is to finance concrete mix needed for my "new" cinder block shelter. I will have it paid off in 10 years. Where does that put me?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by BruceP

I nominate me. I have two ex wives, and I still pay someone else to change my oil. I MUST be the richest.
I'm not but perhaps the OP and other rich guys can change that. Here's my problem:

I currently lease a one year rennlist membership but I'm thinking of upgrading to a two year membership. I'm going to finance the membership, although I could pay cash. Tax implications, you understand.

To give you an idea of my finances, I recently paid off my 6 yr old 996, I used to own a corvette, my dad owns a bmw and, oh yeah I have a benz as my DD that as of last week, is officially older than Christ.

Any suggestions.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RutgersU
On an unrelated note does anyone know how I can change my signature to include the car I borrow from my dad. Although I have millions I like to "roll" in my dad's car sometimes. It helps me relate better to you little folks. TIA
If I had the millions like he did, I would upgrade my dad from a crappy 745i to a new 760IL without thinking.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 PM
ls911
Pro

[QUOTE=JJB236;4893747]That's right. I'm the one who always tell my friends: You only live once, but also you're only young once. Regardless of height being 6'2" and looking a little odd with the size of the P-cars, I need that 997 S in my garage. Fast approaching big 40 got me started exploring to other cars like BMW M6 and 750 (for business meetings) to go w my age and status in the business world. But those 2/4 door sedans are just so damn boring (exception of an M6, but 6-series are already a dime a dozen in L.A. M6 just doesn't have the Porsche charisma) It was the 10 years of luxurious ride in my Benz that pushed me to get the race cars like the Vette and 996.

Thanks for trying to relate to us little folks.
Just make sure nobody important sees you. If so you must duck down or your business status might be damaged beyond repair.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I currently lease a one year rennlist membership but I'm thinking of upgrading to a two year membership. I'm going to finance the membership, although I could pay cash. Tax implications, you understand.
Yes, you will save a lot of taxes. Here's why. If you finance, you will pay interest charges on the order of 7-10%. You will pay these charges in after tax dollars, of course. Meanwhile, you will put your free cash into investments, which will earn about 8% with a moderate risk profile. This 8% will be taxed as a capital gain. And all the while, your membership that you financed will depreciate, even as the bulk of your payments go to finance charges rather than building equity.

Now, you're thinking to yourself, Bruce, are you mad? I'm paying taxes on my regular income, then spending it on interest charges to acquire a depreciating asset, so that I can put my capital into investments upon which I will be taxed! Crazy? Like a fox. Because, you see, if you keep that up, you will get poorer and poorer until eventually you don't have to pay any taxes at all. See?

Like a fox.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BruceP

Pls share the phone number of your family lawyer or I am living in the wrong country.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not but perhaps the OP and other rich guys can change that. Here's my problem:

To give you an idea of my finances, I recently paid off my 6 yr old 996, I used to own a corvette, my dad owns a bmw and, oh yeah I have a benz as my DD that as of last week, is officially older than Christ.

Any suggestions.
You forgot to point out the membership was for the 2003 fiscal year.

Quick Reply: Having 2nd thoughts... Sell 996 to get a 997 or get another car instead?