Sponsored by:

My engine died today :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Not from me you won't. I'm a self-proclaimed cheap bastard. Keep hunting...and ask about a remanufactured motor. It will have the same warranty as a crate motor.

C.
Apparently you cannot buy a 'new' motor and the price quoted by both places was for a re manufactured one that does indeed carry a 2 year warranty.
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Well, just as an FYI I just replaced my motor in my 1999 for the same thing... but both Suncoast and Sunset had prices for factory motors at $7-7.5k which I was able to get a local dealer to match. I found an independent shop that was able to put the whole motor in for under $1000 (friend hook-up). So the whole thing was under $10k! The good news is that the new motor comes with everything on it except a AC compressor and its all backed by a 2yr warranty. Had the alternator go out within two weeks and had it replaced under warranty since it came with the motor!

If Suncoast or Sunset is close enough it might be worth the shipping to get it from them...

David
I'm in Houston and I believe those guys are in So Cal? A little far . I can get a used engine from LA Porsche Dismantler for about 9K. I have friends offering help to install it if I decide to go that route but there's no warranty and none of my friends are Porsche mechanics....
[edit] I would imagine shipping from Suncoast would work out less. I'll call them tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by UFO007
Just got off the phone with one (Pro Technik) and they said around $15K out the door.

I know I'll get flamed but I simply can't afford that.
No flames from me either. That is not "lunch money" we are talking about!

BTW -

Sunset Imports is in Beaverton, Oregon (503) 641-8600.
Suncoast Porsche is in Sarasota, Florida (305) 444-5555.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

No flames here neither. That is an ugly situation, and the worst part is that the car will not be worth $1 more than before the motor blew. Well, maybe $1-2K more.

Call Strasse Auto in Costa Mesa - they did my motor rebuild for $5500 which seems like the same problem as yours. 6 month warranty. I imagine it would only be about $1000 to have a local shop swtich your accessories to the new(er) motor. If you think you are gonna keep the car forever, pay the $12K and try to enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
No flames here neither. That is an ugly situation, and the worst part is that the car will not be worth $1 more than before the motor blew. Well, maybe $1-2K more.

Call Strasse Auto in Costa Mesa - they did my motor rebuild for $5500 which seems like the same problem as yours. 6 month warranty. I imagine it would only be about $1000 to have a local shop swtich your accessories to the new(er) motor. If you think you are gonna keep the car forever, pay the $12K and try to enjoy it.
In all honesty: right now I'm so disheartened that I just want the thing gone.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by UFO007
So, I heard back from the stealership today. We'd been trying to work something out through the goodwill program but, obviously, that didn't work out.

Momentum Porsche phoned to give me the quote for the new engine & install: $16,240 + tax. I'll be sending a tow truck tomorrow to pick the car up.

UFO, I'm sorry to hear this, I hope you get it worked out somehow.

BTW, You mentioned in an earlier post that the car will start and run for about 2 seconds or so and then die. How is this possible given that the valves and pistons touched and also the timing chain is broken. Are you sure that the stealer diagnosed the problem correctly? Just a thought. Again good luck.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 11-21-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Sorry for your pain man.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
UFO, I'm sorry to hear this, I hope you get it worked out somehow.

BTW, You mentioned in an earlier post that the car will start and run for about 2 seconds or so and then die. How is this possibly given that the valves and pistons touched and also the timing chain is broken. Are you sure that the stealer diagnosed the problem correctly? Just a thought. Again good luck.
According to the dealer the passenger side is fine but the driver's side is throwing all sorts of codes. When I say it runs I use the term very loosely . The dealer has not performed a tear down so they're just going off what they have seen before.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

UFO, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. These cars arent really that slow. Get some track time under your belt, and I am sure you'll find 911's, in general, to be very impressive cars.

I sold a C4 corvette over decade ago to get my first 911 -- a 1978 SC. At first, I thought the 911 was a pig. Then, once I found that you can rev the **** out of them, my thoughts quickly turned around.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 PM
ARMAKNYC
2nd Gear

Default Bad Extended Warranty

To UCrazyKid: it was a Prizm Total Protection Plan, Supreme coverage, sold through SportsTrend of Studio City, CA as an all inclusive, top of the line extended warranty. My bad for not reading the fine print.

My primary point is not about that warranty, however. My main point is that Porsche AG advertises outstanding performance and outstanding reliability, but relative to world class sports cars today the 996 is only delivering the former. Moreover, the 996 engine unreliability we can encounter includes ugly, dangerous, and intolerable catastrophic engine failures caused by any one of a number of design flaws.

When operating normally, the 996 is an amazing and seductive car. Given the Porsche legacy and industry leading margins, we should expect elimination of all such design flaws and extremely generous financial contributions for those who suffer these catastrophic events out of warranty. In the end, it would be a wise long term investment by Porsche AG.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Desmodromic
Advanced

Default Hang in There!

Don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to me. I had to call Porsche and they came to my rescue. Porsche does not like the idea that their cars suffer from catastrophic failures. Call them and give it a shot.

By the way, how come no one knows why the Intermed. Shaft. Bolt shears off? I was told by the head mechanic at the dealership that the new engines have a different bolt with a different metal? I also read articles that accuses the cylinder heads of being too porous and somehow contribute to this disaster.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ARMAKNYC
To UCrazyKid: it was a Prizm Total Protection Plan, Supreme coverage, sold through SportsTrend of Studio City, CA as an all inclusive, top of the line extended warranty. My bad for not reading the fine print.

My primary point is not about that warranty, however. My main point is that Porsche AG advertises outstanding performance and outstanding reliability, but relative to world class sports cars today the 996 is only delivering the former. Moreover, the 996 engine unreliability we can encounter includes ugly, dangerous, and intolerable catastrophic engine failures caused by any one of a number of design flaws.

When operating normally, the 996 is an amazing and seductive car. Given the Porsche legacy and industry leading margins, we should expect elimination of all such design flaws and extremely generous financial contributions for those who suffer these catastrophic events out of warranty. In the end, it would be a wise long term investment by Porsche AG.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your 996 and extended warranty but I have to say that the rest of your post is BS. The 996 engine is not bulletproof but then neither is any high performance engine. Catastrophic engine failure is RARE and effects only a very small percentage of 996s, of course this is of little consolation to those who have experienced an engine failure. Believe me, all high performance cars experience their fair share of engine failures as well as other problems, we just happen to hear about 996s because we are on a 996 board. Also, we hear from a disproportionate number of owners who have had an engine failure because these people come to this site to seek advice and to vent about their problem.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:45 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
UFO, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. These cars arent really that slow. Get some track time under your belt, and I am sure you'll find 911's, in general, to be very impressive cars.

I sold a C4 corvette over decade ago to get my first 911 -- a 1978 SC. At first, I thought the 911 was a pig. Then, once I found that you can rev the **** out of them, my thoughts quickly turned around.
True statement. North Americans love torque and understandably confuse it with 'fast'. These are very fast cars.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:28 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Desmodromic
Don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to me. I had to call Porsche and they came to my rescue. Porsche does not like the idea that their cars suffer from catastrophic failures. Call them and give it a shot.

By the way, how come no one knows why the Intermed. Shaft. Bolt shears off? I was told by the head mechanic at the dealership that the new engines have a different bolt with a different metal? I also read articles that accuses the cylinder heads of being too porous and somehow contribute to this disaster.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
I went up as high as I could in the Porsche ranks and was politely told that I was on my own. I'm trying to see what I can get for the car 'as is' right now and will wash my hands with it if the right offer arises. The stealership wouldn't even make an offer on the car .
Old 11-22-2007, 02:43 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by BruceP
True statement. North Americans love torque and understandably confuse it with 'fast'. These are very fast cars.
Hey, don't call me North American . I'm actually English and had only ever driven two V8 powered cars before moving here (XJ8 and A8). I'd always wanted a Mustang and bought one shortly after moving here. It was slow (260 HP 4.6 V8) and I ended up supercharging it (Vortech V2 SQ) which certainly livened the car up, but it had a strange habit of eating clutches with almost 400 HP at the wheels.. Funny that. It started to eat the gearbox too. I also threw money at the suspension to try and make it turn, but I lost that battle. The car ran a best of 11.9 @ 116 and, to be honest, I don't really consider that a fast car either, but it was close. Anyway, I swore that I would never own another American V8 again after that. Ironically, I did cross shop the Corvette C6 before purchasing the P but, well, I don't know how to describe it, I guess it just lacked soul.

I guess my point is: every 'performance' car I have owned I have modded to make it faster or handle better. Unfortunately, short of a supercharger, there seems to be nothing available for the 996 short of an overpriced supercharger. I wasn't sure if the usual mods such as heads/cams etc. were absent due to the fact they didn't show high gains, or difficulty and cost of install.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM
faszinated
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UFO,

Orbit racing in FL has used engines. They offered me one for $3,500, installed. You should call them. Maybe they can ship to TX.

Quick Reply: My engine died today :(