Sponsored by:

My engine died today :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:07 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Good luck - let's hope that the wrench was the only issue.

Commiserations on "sunning" yourself in Blighty at this time of year... hardly much sun and brass monkeys come to mind. Where were you?
I was in Manchester (well, a town called Sale to be exact) with my parents. It's where I grew up. Amazing how so much changes yet it still stays the same (cold and wet). They just opened up a Krispy Kreme near the Trafford center; the country's definitely going to **** . But, I got to see my 2 and 4 year old Niece and Nephew for the second time in their lives. It's kind of sad that I have, so far, watched them grow up via pictures e-mailed to me by my sister.

For anybody interested: the stealership did the swap for me. IIRC (without going back through the thread) their initial quote was $17Kish. We went back and forth a few times and my final OTD was $12,318.26. So, not cheap by any means but a lot better than the initial price. Chase and BofA now love me.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by UFO007
I was in Manchester (well, a town called Sale to be exact) with my parents. It's where I grew up. Amazing how so much changes yet it still stays the same (cold and wet). They just opened up a Krispy Kreme near the Trafford center; the country's definitely going to **** . But, I got to see my 2 and 4 year old Niece and Nephew for the second time in their lives. It's kind of sad that I have, so far, watched them grow up via pictures e-mailed to me by my sister.
Ahh, Manchester, so much to answer for...

Not sure it makes much difference what time of you you visit, it's still going to be wet.

I know what you mean about the kids... there are some I've never met, some that grew up in my absence and are on their own. Sadly the only thing is to get used to it.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:25 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Ahh, Manchester, so much to answer for...

Not sure it makes much difference what time of you you visit, it's still going to be wet.

I know what you mean about the kids... there are some I've never met, some that grew up in my absence and are on their own. Sadly the only thing is to get used to it.
My Dad had his drive replaced a few years back. They sealed it with silicone or something and needed a few dry days to do so. It took 6 months until it was completed . I love Manchester to death but was also ready to leave when my time was up.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Dad had his drive replaced a few years back. They sealed it with silicone or something and needed a few dry days to do so. It took 6 months until it was completed . I love Manchester to death but was also ready to leave when my time was up.
Then the big question is...are you a Red Devil or Blue ???

(u can tell who I support from my avatar)
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Then the big question is...are you a Red Devil or Blue ???

(u can tell who I support from my avatar)
Spent many a rainy Saturday afternoon stood (shows how long ago that was) in The Stretford End watching the Red Devils play. I have been to Anfield on a few occasions and can't remember a single time where we didn't have to dodge running battles in the car park to get to the car.

As an aside: First time I ever visited Maine Road (Manchester City's old ground) we parked on a side street and some kid of 10 or 11 approached us. "I'll look after your car for a quid mate." I looked around at the empty of people street and asked, "Who's going to mess with my car?" He smiled a big smile and replied, "Me." I paid him....
Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Spent many a rainy Saturday afternoon stood (shows how long ago that was) in The Stretford End watching the Red Devils play. I have been to Anfield on a few occasions and can't remember a single time where we didn't have to dodge running battles in the car park to get to the car.

As an aside: First time I ever visited Maine Road (Manchester City's old ground) we parked on a side street and some kid of 10 or 11 approached us. "I'll look after your car for a quid mate." I looked around at the empty of people street and asked, "Who's going to mess with my car?" He smiled a big smile and replied, "Me." I paid him....
Nice. I can tell you without a doubt I was not one of them chasing you out of Anfield, as we always took the train from Banbury to watch LFC play at home, so it was off to the train station right after the matches.

Only a quid....that was a long time ago then.

mate it's good to know more brit's are on this forum, and yes Wayne I know you are too.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Gotta love it - a scouser and a mancunian talking fooball, who would have guessed.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

mate it's good to know more brit's are on this forum, and yes Wayne I know you are too.
There are actually quite a lot of us, you just can't hear the accents over the internet.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Gotta love it - a scouser and a mancunian talking fooball, who would have guessed.

And here I am drinking pints of Newcastle

But we all know the the Hammers beat-up on ManU today and Liverpool will defeat ManC tomorrow. The race for the prem title is going to be a good one
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

And here I am drinking pints of Newcastle

But we all know the the Hammers beat-up on ManU today and Liverpool will defeat ManC tomorrow. The race for the prem title is going to be a good one

Gotta admit that I've not kept up with Soccer.... I'm now a football fan. My team are playing in a little while... gotta see New England kick the pants off of the Giants.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the wrench a Snap-On? Did you get to keep it?

Congrats on getting the new engine installed! Now go and enjoy the car!!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

UFO - That is great news that you got her fixed and even better news that is was $12K instead of $17K! You don't seem very excited to have her back, and in some ways, I don't blame you.

I really hope that you try to forget that the "$12K issue" ever happened and try to look at the car with fresh eyes. You may surprise yourself and become passionate about it. I certainly hope so because they really are great cars!

Mine will be gone by the end of May (lease end date) if not sooner. I don't really want to sell it or let it go back to the lease company, but my situation is such that it must go. The 996 has been the most enjoyable car I have ever owned and it has been good for my soul, literally.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 AM
GNR996
Race Car

Congrats on the new motor.

Been watching this thread since the start.

Having my engine let go I know well the emotions, I went through them all. After it was fixed back on the road broken in, the love afair started all over... even got the mod bug.....

Enjoy,

Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey UFO, have you had a chance to put on any miles with the new engine and if so do you like the car again?

Quick Reply: My engine died today :(