Sponsored by:

My engine died today :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drew3007
I didn't have the endurance to read the whole thread but since you bought it at 75k and in the condition you describe, it is unlikely that the owner had the costly 60k service done on it, part of which is changing the timing belt. So you got screwed over because the owner before you was cheap. A word to the wise, if there isn't service documentation, DON'T BUY IT.
True statement. Here, at least, a lot of 996s were leased by, shall we say, non-enthusiasts. I narrowly dodged this self-same bullet (so far, touch wood).
Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have the endurance to read the whole thread but since you bought it at 75k and in the condition you describe, it is unlikely that the owner had the costly 60k service done on it, part of which is changing the timing belt. So you got screwed over because the owner before you was cheap. A word to the wise, if there isn't service documentation, DON'T BUY IT.
Timing belt? Expensive 60K service? WTF are you talking about?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I assume he means the polyrib belt. Don't know about the 60,000 mile service... I live in kilometer land.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
Timing belt? Expensive 60K service? WTF are you talking about?
I think he thought he was on the Honda forum.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, that's what I was thinking! LOL!!

Originally Posted by dresler
I think he thought he was on the Honda forum.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Default Engine dead

I think you broke your timing chain/belt bro, or jumped a tooth or two. I'm thinking it wasn't replaced at the required mileage. Tries to start but won't run? Thats a spark at the wrong time Late/Early. Smoke and the smell of unburnt fuel. Thats no spark when your piston is at top dead center and non combusted fuel and air smoke show. I hope that the rods and valves did not come down at a very unpleasant moment when a piston or two was coming up.(timing) At any rate if that the case of my diagnosis you won't need a new engine, just a rebuild. Only a couple of cylinders should be effected unless you dogged it home in that condition. You didn't force if home did you. Brew
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UFO007
Porsche owner for less than a month. 75K on a '01 C4. Car had been checked over but no compression test was run. Car died, won't start, white smoke coming from driver exhaust pipe. Car does turn over. Oil is clean and coolant is clear. My Porsche owning experience has not been a happy one.
Also, Bro don't get to stressed about the mechanical thing either, These cars have several electronic mods that can fail, all cars do. It could be something as simple as the distributor mod. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Brew
Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brew123
I think you broke your timing chain/belt bro, or jumped a tooth or two. I'm thinking it wasn't replaced at the required mileage. Tries to start but won't run? Thats a spark at the wrong time Late/Early. Smoke and the smell of unburnt fuel. Thats no spark when your piston is at top dead center and non combusted fuel and air smoke show. I hope that the rods and valves did not come down at a very unpleasant moment when a piston or two was coming up.(timing) At any rate if that the case of my diagnosis you won't need a new engine, just a rebuild. Only a couple of cylinders should be effected unless you dogged it home in that condition. You didn't force if home did you. Brew
Also, Bro don't get to stressed about the mechanical thing either, These cars have several electronic mods that can fail, all cars do. It could be something as simple as the distributor mod. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Brew
???
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Wow, who want to handle this one?

Oh, all right.

1- Porsche 996s do not have timing belts.
2- There is no "replacement at the required mileage" for the chain
3- Porsches do not have rods
4- Timing is set by the computer
5- There is no distrubutor
Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

My 996 came with most of the service documented, but I only cared about the last service visit before I bought it, which included the words "Reman engine install".
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UFO007
Porsche owner for less than a month. 75K on a '01 C4. Car had been checked over but no compression test was run. Car died, won't start, white smoke coming from driver exhaust pipe. Car does turn over. Oil is clean and coolant is clear. My Porsche owning experience has not been a happy one.
Wow, who want to handle this one?

Oh, all right.

1- Porsche 996s do not have timing belts.
2- There is no "replacement at the required mileage" for the chain
3- Porsches do not have rods
4- Timing is set by the computer
5- There is no distrubutor
All engines have a timing mechanism for spark, and a valve train dependent on timing. All engines have to distribute the spark whether it is mecanical or computorised. Regardless of how the thing is made. Belts, chains who gives a rats ****. The point is if this isn't in sinc it won't run. Duh? The fact remains and I can't wait to find out the problem, If you ain't gettin spark at top dead center the engine is going to stumble. Come on, look past my lack of knowlege of how a Porches engine is made and try and see the over all cause of lack of a smooth running motor. Oh I know, throw some money at it and it will go away. Please
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

All engines have a timing mechanism for spark, and a valve train dependent on timing. All engines have to distribute the spark whether it is mecanical or computorised. Regardless of how the thing is made. Belts, chains who gives a rats ****. The point is if this isn't in sinc it won't run. Duh? The fact remains and I can't wait to find out the problem, If you ain't gettin spark at top dead center the engine is going to stumble. Come on, look past my lack of knowlege of how a Porches engine is made and try and see the over all cause of lack of a smooth running motor. Oh I know, throw some money at it and it will go away. Please
I know the thread is long, but if you took the time to read it you will notice that the car has been to the dealer and an Indy. I think they would have noticed if the problem was a minor adjustment. The whole issue is that UFO is faced with losing a lot of money. We are trying to be helpful to him here, not make him feel worse with pedestrian comments.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Brew
Intermediate

I know the thread is long, but if you took the time to read it you will notice that the car has been to the dealer and an Indy. I think they would have noticed if the problem was a minor adjustment. The whole issue is that UFO is faced with losing a lot of money. We are trying to be helpful to him here, not make him feel worse with pedestrian comments.
I agree completely, My comments if you read my past ,was to offer help reguarding my past experience with engines, Porsche or not, and a general explanation relating to the feedback offered by UF007 of how an engine works and a possible answer to the problem he is having. Pedestrian? Buzz off. Go get a manicure and leave the engine work to real men.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

I agree completely, My comments if you read my past ,was to offer help reguarding my past experience with engines, Porsche or not, and a general explanation relating to the feedback offered by UF007 of how an engine works and a possible answer to the problem he is having. Pedestrian? Buzz off. Go get a manicure and leave the engine work to real men.
Now you are just a moron.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Brew
Intermediate

Yawn... Got snow

Quick Reply: My engine died today :(