996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My engine died today :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
UFO007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a month since I've even seen the car and the car has spent around 1/4 of the time I owned it actually on the road and about half of it at the dealership. She is still sat at the dealership. I head home to England for a little while on the 18th and will be back for the new year so it will be at least 2008 until I see the car again. The dealership's being cool with me and they're OK with the car being sat there until I decide what to do with it. They're not even charging me for storage! In fact, the bill so far from the dealership has been $100 and that was just to cover the tow. They didn't charge me a diagnostics or labour fee. They (Momentum Porsche) have been very cool with me and I really appreciate that.

I've been trying to sell the car but that isn't working out for me. Most I have been offered so far is $10K and considering I just paid almost 3 times that for the car it's obviously not an option. If I replace the motor then I should have bought an '04 C2 or '00 Turbo for the same price. With a new engine I'll probably own THE most expensive '01 C4 on the planet. Doesn't seem sensible to do that. Then again, it doesn't seem sensible to **** $20K down the tubes and offload the car 'as is.' I don't think buying a '01 C4 sight unseen will go down in the history books as being a sensible decision either.

Why the hell am I telling you people this? No idea. Just rambling. Still pissed about the whole shebang. This was supposed to be something special: my first Porsche. Even if the car looked a million bucks and ran like a champ it's still left a sour taste in my mouth and the car is tainted. Sounds immature, I know, but I can't help it. I often think that I need bad luck in my life because without it I wouldn't have any luck at all. Like I said: just rambling. Looking forward to seeing my family again. I have a niece and nephew who are 2 and 4 respectively and I've only ever seen them once. Now, that's the stuff I should sweat and worry about; not a stupid car.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Certainly an unfortunate first Porsche experience to be certain.

The only thing I could add would be, if you drop a new engine in the car at least you'll have the peace of mind of a two year warranty - you wont get that on an 01.

Also, since this will be "your" engine you'll know the history, do the maintenance and feel like you have a new car.

JMTC
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the most financially sound decision is to fix the car and drive it. The only way you can get any value out of it is by putting miles on it, deferring a future purchase and amortizing your loss over time. Really. Besides the fact that you'll love the car, it will reduce your financial loss. The story will be that you ended up paying too much for the car, but drove it for a few years and enjoyed it. That's way better than kissing off twenty large now AND buying a replacement.

Take out of the equation the ego bruising and the anxiety about future failures, and the way forward is pretty clear to me.

And your final comments are right: "The engine blew up in my Porsche" doesn't get you very far up the list of humans with problems in this world. Enjoy your family. And your car.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:23 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the most financially sound decision is to fix the car and drive it. The only way you can get any value out of it is by putting miles on it, deferring a future purchase and amortizing your loss over time. Really. Besides the fact that you'll love the car, it will reduce your financial loss. The story will be that you ended up paying too much for the car, but drove it for a few years and enjoyed it. That's way better than kissing off twenty large now AND buying a replacement.

Take out of the equation the ego bruising and the anxiety about future failures, and the way forward is pretty clear to me.

And your final comments are right: "The engine blew up in my Porsche" doesn't get you very far up the list of humans with problems in this world. Enjoy your family. And your car.
+1

Tough story for sure.

I find making the tough decisions as quick as possible, then focusing on the good things in your life, as you stated, is the correct path. The more you let this drag, the more it will rub ya. Do what you have to financially and get the engine in, a few months will go by and you'll start to feel better about the car, even if you decide to sell it once fixed.

Sorry for your situation.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Stefan Richter
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I also sunk a large unexpencted chunk of cash into my car immediately after buying it. Even with a new engine, I was a little unsure about its reliability during the first few weeks. However, the scar has healed quickly and is little more than a memory of the dip in my bank account now. Do like I did. Get if fixed and drive it. If you don't rekindle your love, sell it with a new engine - you'll recover more money that way.

Stefan
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UFO007
Why the hell am I telling you people this? No idea. Just rambling. Still pissed about the whole shebang. This was supposed to be something special: my first Porsche. Even if the car looked a million bucks and ran like a champ it's still left a sour taste in my mouth and the car is tainted. Sounds immature, I know, but I can't help it. I often think that I need bad luck in my life because without it I wouldn't have any luck at all. Like I said: just rambling. Looking forward to seeing my family again. I have a niece and nephew who are 2 and 4 respectively and I've only ever seen them once. Now, that's the stuff I should sweat and worry about; not a stupid car.
You'll never get any money out of it selling it w/o an engine. If it really sours you to look at it, just stuff a new engine in it and sell it right away (you could probably get a little more than you paid that way).

On the other hand, you could snap up the 3.8 that is for sale on the 997 board and build the worlds best '01 C4.

Good Luck..
Old 12-08-2007, 03:01 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray S
You'll never get any money out of it selling it w/o an engine. If it really sours you to look at it, just stuff a new engine in it and sell it right away (you could probably get a little more than you paid that way).

On the other hand, you could snap up the 3.8 that is for sale on the 997 board and build the worlds best '01 C4.

Good Luck..
You know, in a big city such as Houston you would think there would be at least 1 person willing to undertake the task of putting a 3.8 into a 3.4 equipped car. If they exist then I couldn't find them. However, from my research it seems the extra cost of parts and labour would have made the final figure close to my original engine quote which I just can't afford. I got quite excited at the prospect of having a 3.8 but, sadly, it just isn't going to happen.

I actually went to the tax office this week and registered the car so it's at least legal in the State of Texas now. It's kind of odd that I have the plates here with me, but not the car. I only registered it because it's going to have to sit on the street outside my place for a while because I'm sure the Porsche dealership will get tired of storing it for me soon.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 AM
UFO007
Instructor

Originally Posted by BruceP

Unfortunately, the sensible decision and the decision I make are generally so far apart it isn't even funny. I'm 37 years old and my Dad is still amazed I made it this far. If I was sensible I would have never bought the car in the first place, or at least flown to NY to check it out first. I hear what you're saying and agree 100% but....

I haven't been home in 2 years and can't wait. After leaving my wife I spent last Christmas all alone and that kinda sucked so I'll put an end to this ****ty year by surrounding myself with the ones I love the most .
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but the whole value of my 02 996 C4S is in a loan I made.
Unless I become incapable of working, I refuse to worry about the numbers if i love and want to enjoy and drive my 911.

Would you mind saying what you do for a living?
John
Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe St. Nick will find a suitable engine replacement for you by the time you return to the states?!Hope it works out for you soon.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

UFO007,

Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey dispite of all the negative posts you have received.

First I want to say that I am very sorry to hear about your bad experiences with your first Porsche, honestly Porsches are well built cars, even the 996. As a long term 993 owner (Most all the 993 owners dogs the 996) but after I bought my 996 my perception changed about the 996. Now I don't even drive the 993 anymore, simply because technically the 996 is a better car!

2nd please understand that any car owning experience is financially draining, it is not an investment. It is the fun per dollar factor that you are justifying, that's all. Cars can be just a transportation or entertainment. So it is depending on how much you are willing to pay for that entertainment. As it is the same about everything else in your life.

3rd, look at this bad experience as a chance to have a great story to tell later in your life. Cherrish this experience regardless how financially painfull it is, it is an opportunity. Afterall, what makes you and your life interesting is how many interesting stories you have to tell.

With all that said, I am currently looking to buy a $100k Ferrari. Now tell me, how much financial sense does that make? NONE! But just an entertainment that I am willing to pay for.

Good luck with everything! Enjoy life as much as you can afford, and cheerish everything as great stories to tell.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

This story is why I decided to spend the extra money to get a CPO car.

I thought long and hard about all the 996 horror stories (RMS, intermediate shaft, etc.) before I bought my 40th Anniversary. I almost went back to a 993 and then I remembered all the reading I have done over the years about 911's and their problems.

All Porsches have had issues:
  • 1970's models were notorious for severe engine issues.
  • The SC's had various issues...clutches, exploding air boxes, cam tensioners, etc.
  • The 964's had engine seal issues
  • 993's have the valve guide wear problems and clogged air passages

In short, virtually every 911 has had an issue of some sort.

My 996 is fast (deceptively so), comfortable, great looking, and fun. I believe you will find the same thing once you get your car on the road. As I go through my mid-life crises (not just one crisis but several ), I realize that it's not the things I've done that I will regret but the things I haven't done.

Put in the "new" engine and drive the car. Make some memories. You never know when your fortunes will change (up or down). The one thing that is certain is that you will never walk down this same path again. $10-15K is a lot of money, but, I've made mistakes with zeroes on the end before and will make them again. I'm sure you have too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Robin...you and I must think alike! I was typing my response when you were posting yours!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
Robin...you and I must think alike! I was typing my response when you were posting yours!
That's great!!

I think that's what happens when you grow older, and starting to loose good friends and people you love around you....

I think back and try to analyze every decision I made in my life and try to make sense out of it.

In the end I decided to buy a Ferrari!!!! LOL!

But of course not giving up on the Porsches... $10k service for a Ferrari is breakfast.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:58 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I think that's what happens when you grow older, and starting to loose good friends and people you love around you....

I think back and try to analyze every decision I made in my life and try to make sense out of it.
Indeed!

My father died at the age of 48 when I was 24 years old and I only recently realized how much I really need and miss him.

Quick Reply: My engine died today :(