It's that time of year again=winter tire opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default It's that time of year again=winter tire opinion

OK, I am thinking of using my garage queen C4S this winter unless there is a lot of snow on the ground or in the forecast. I have a Suburban that has remote start that I rarely need to activate 4x4 since it is so damn good. For you winter experts....should I look at all season or go for winter tires? Keep in mind I have two sets of wheels.
TIA!!
Steve
Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings from Minnesota! First flakes yesterday, but no accumulation. Winter setup goes on next weekend because of the temp. . . . I did not see a lot of choices available for my 2003 C4S, with winter setup from TireRack. I read a bunch of reviews and went with Blizzaks. Let's compare notes next spring.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, I was in Minneapolis 8/1-8/3=bad week for MN! My roots are from Duluth. It looks like you have to go a little narrower in the winter for good reasons. I was on TR as well and have heard good things about blizzaks. I guess I am buying these to relieve the MSPCs and insure myself if I get caught in light snow?
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a set of rims with tires - Pirelli Wintersport 240's. N rated, people love their dry cold performance compared to Blizzaks.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with winters and swap. They are a lot better than allseasons in the winter and then you get the benefit of great tires perfectly suited year round. Indeed, if you can find some wheel takeoffs, it'll be easy to swap each year. It's what I do. But, the winter wheels aren't going on for another month or until the temp gets below freezing for a week.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had kumho all seasons on last winter, only because that is what was on the car when I purchased it. Seemed to be fine, actually drove better than my SUV. We only had one or two days with big snow last year - one was new years eve and just left it in the garage on heavy snow days. Minnesota also.

Very fun in light snow (under 6 inches). C4 also.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
OK, I am thinking of using my garage queen C4S this winter unless there is a lot of snow on the ground or in the forecast. I have a Suburban that has remote start that I rarely need to activate 4x4 since it is so damn good. For you winter experts....should I look at all season or go for winter tires? Keep in mind I have two sets of wheels.
TIA!!
Steve
Winter tires!! I haven't even thought of that this year - it's still in the 80's here. Heck, we still have track days down here until the middle of December!

But, for the winter, I use Pilot Sport A/S. They work great for our harsh Texas snow days

-td
Old 11-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by td873
Winter tires!! I haven't even thought of that this year - it's still in the 80's here. Heck, we still have track days down here until the middle of December!

But, for the winter, I use Pilot Sport A/S. They work great for our harsh Texas snow days

-td
Yeah, all two of them . . .
Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FYI, The TR survey points to the Dunlops?? I do not know if I have ever owned that brand? Any thoughts? Where are they made?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a rennlist search for winter tires, and Pirelli came up over and over. I feel more comfortable listening to actual 911 owners, as opposed to TR, which has Hondas, BMWS, etc, etc.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
Yeah, all two of them . . .
Don't knock it! The NE track season only wishes it could get December days

-td
Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I came to the same conclusion about Pirellis. Mine are getting mounted on a set of BSA wheels for winter, going on the car when I get the oil changed in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Last winter I went with Pirelli Snowsports 240 N-rated (Porsche approved) winter tires on OEM turbo twist wheels; bought the second set used off the PCA classifieds. Fronts are 235/40/18, rear are 295/35/18. Slightly higher sidewalls than the summer tires and the ride is a bit softer, but it works great in the white stuff and absolutely no issues with ABS and PSM. Car handles better in the wet, ice, slush, etc... than any SUV I've ever driven.
Swapping to the winter set-up next week.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Last winter I went with Pirelli Snowsports 240 N-rated (Porsche approved) winter tires on OEM turbo twist wheels; bought the second set used off the PCA classifieds. Fronts are 235/40/18, rear are 295/35/18. Slightly higher sidewalls than the summer tires and the ride is a bit softer, but it works great in the white stuff and absolutely no issues with ABS and PSM. Car handles better in the wet, ice, slush, etc... than any SUV I've ever driven.
Swapping to the winter set-up next week.
You're in my neighbourhood... what's your experience with salt etc? This is my first winter driving the P full time. I know it's been winter driven in the past, but not sure how fussy folks are with them in this Toronto crap. They're calling for a nastier winter this year...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Rust is not a worry since these cars are well protected. It's more the stone chips from the salt that can be damaging. So I'll stay off the highways and stick to slower roads when they are actively salting.
I hate having a dirt car so I religiously power wash it at one of those coin-ops at least once a week and really blast away at the undercarriage. I also take it to Deny's car wash on Mavis south of Central in Mississauga and have them wash it...it's a no touch system but more importantly, the wheel track is wide enough and coated to handle my 11" rear wheels with no damage. My biggest worry is when it's really deep because the car is so low. The couple of times that it was ugly out there, I just worked from home those days...benefit of being self-employed!

Quick Reply: It's that time of year again=winter tire opinion