Sponsored by:

It's that time of year again=winter tire opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had spacers........once. I hated them! 10 more nuts to torque! I was swapping a few times a year for the track so it was not just twice a year.
Buy two more proper wheels so you can ebay rims and spacers.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
I had spacers........once. I hated them! 10 more nuts to torque! I was swapping a few times a year for the track so it was not just twice a year.
Buy two more proper wheels so you can ebay rims and spacers.
So the winter tires do fit perfectly on the rears?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Riad, I just finished torquing them. From the side you would not know they are winter. From the back.........well let's just say you will remember why you worked your ash off to buy that model!
Steve
Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Here you go:
Pics of what the 295/35/18 Pirelli Snowsport 240's look like on the car.

(Pics taken last winter btw)
Attached Images   
Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thats it! I am going on Ebay and buying a ski rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I went for a drive this morning. The tires and fit are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! no rubbing, suprisingly quiet, and sticky! Go for it Riad. I am waiting for it to warm up so I can wash off new tire slime on sidewalls.
Steve
Old 11-17-2007, 08:17 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put my winter tires on today. I was a bit worried about how much tread was left, but I am not yet down to the markers that tell you when the sticky compound is gone. This is the 4th winter on this set of Blizzaks though. I will probably leave them on a bit longer in the spring and run the tread out.

Basically though with a good set of Blizzaks, the C2 is no problem in the snow. I do try to avoid the worst days, but you never know when the weather is going to catch you.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an OT question and would like the opinion of Rennlisters. I'm taking delivery of my '08 S4 in around 3 weeks. Unlike my C4S, This car will be driven as a daily commuter. The Audis are nice cars - I've had 2 S4's in the past. Here's the issue - the car comes from the factory with summer performance tires - generally PS2s or comparable, but I really need tires that will get me through a Philly winter - which is generally pretty mild, and usually not much snow (but some). My options are buying dedicated wheels/snow tires (ie. Blizzak LM-25s), but I'm lazy and leaning toward just putting a really good set of A/S tires on the car (Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S are rated well), which I'd have installed when the car arrives. Then sell the PS2's privately. Questions: (1) am I nuts not to buy dedicated wheels/snows; (2) if I opt to go the route of replacing the factory tires with A/S, should I do all 5 (car has full spare) or just 4; and (3) am I just nuts? I'm leaning strongly toward option 2 with replacing all 5 tires. Appreciate the feedback! Flame away.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:59 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

There is no such thing as a "really good A/S tire". All-seasons are a compromise at best. Just get 4 high performance winter compound tires (no need to swap the spare; waste of money) on either dedicated wheels or mount and unmount on your OE wheels every spring and fall.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default voted with my Visa

Well, Blizzak 25s just went on today. Test drive was nice. Still quiet, good cornering . . . Here"s the photo . . . Great to have all the opinions and help her at Rennlist!
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil, I'll answer question #3 first:

Yes, you ARE nuts. Period! And NO, this time I am NOT kidding!

Get an alternate set of wheels with winter tires on them and swap them. As the other Phil (pongobaz) said "All-seasons are a compromise at best." There are not great any time of the year. Your tires are the only contact with the pavement and your life, as well as the lives of your family members, are riding on your tires. Why take the chance on mediocre tires? You will probably own this car 4 or 5 years, so the initial investment in the second set of wheels will be minimal when amortized over that time period.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Tim, I knew you'd say that - you know everytime I read one of your posts, it winds up costing me $$$$. And tha'ts for both car stuff and extra psychiatric visits. As for my family members, since I'm usually the only one who rides in my cars, they'd be fine if I bought re-treads.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Tim, I knew you'd say that - you know everytime I read one of your posts, it winds up costing me $$$$. And tha'ts for both car stuff and extra psychiatric visits. As for my family members, since I'm usually the only one who rides in my cars, they'd be fine if I bought re-treads.
Glad I can help you spend your retirement money now!

"re-rtreads"

Since you mentioned your psychiatrist, how does his new 997 TT cab look? I figure, at the very least, he let you sit in it since you paid for it!

Last edited by gota911; 11-18-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My .02

I run Dunlop M3 Wintersports on a SAAB 9-5 Aero and they are phenomenal. Quiet, great bite and great tread wear too. Got them through Tirerack.com, they're pretty great too!
I bought a CPO '03 C4 cab. in May '05 that came with the 17" C4 rims and new Michelin P/S all-seasons. Terrible tire in winter or summer IMO. Felt like I was driving a Chevy station wagon. I kept them for 1000 miles before swapping to 18" Sport Designs with Cont. ContactSports, a great wearing summer tire with OK grip but MUCH better than the Michelin.
Sadly, I learned the Dunlop M3 is no longer available in 996 sizes so I'll probably go with their new model for winter #2.
Driving a C4 in the snow is almost as much fun as...well, that's a post for a different site.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Since you mentioned your psychiatrist, how does his new 997 TT cab look? I figure, at the very least, he let you sit in it since you paid for it!
I would, but he's in Tuscany....

Quick Reply: It's that time of year again=winter tire opinion