Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SUCCESS! ASCO LWFW and OEM clutch installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 AM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUCCESS! ASCO LWFW and OEM clutch installed!

See original thread at https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=388527&page=3

Finished up the minor details this morning, rechecked torque on bolts... Time for a ride! Closed eyes, crossed fingers and started her up.. No weird noises... Let her sit and warm up then a short ride. Had to take it easy off the line and when shifting until the clutch is broken in but WOW! after it is in gear and put the pedal to the floor the LWFW is most defintely a kick in the pants!

Since quite a few have posted regarding chatter and other noises with lightweight flywheels I was quite curious about this. After 5 miles or so of stop and go, highway driving I could not detect any new sounds whatsoever. This included sitting at a standstill; both with it in gear and clutch depressed as well as in neutral with clutch depressed and not. Maybe after the clutch is broken in is when the chatter I have heard so much about will start?

Nice too the feeling knowing that I did it all myself!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. No chatter? That's a first. congrats
Old 11-03-2007, 11:40 AM
4-large
Racer

What is the weight savings, I need to do a clutch in the near future, And please post after you break in sound feel etc.
You did the stock clutch right?
Oh... sweet job
Old 11-03-2007, 11:47 AM
nosub
Instructor

I weighed the OEM flywheel that was removed and it was 30 pounds. The AASCO LWFW is 13. Definitely noticeable increase in performance.

Yes, OEM clutch. I do not have any plans right now to track it so it is more than enough. Grabs quite well with the LWFW
Old 11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

very nice... good job, any pics of the install?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Congrats, but I'm sure it chatters in neutral with your foot off the clutch especially if the AC is on.

Originally Posted by nosub
See original thread at https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=388527&page=3

Finished up the minor details this morning, rechecked torque on bolts... Time for a ride! Closed eyes, crossed fingers and started her up.. No weird noises... Let her sit and warm up then a short ride. Had to take it easy off the line and when shifting until the clutch is broken in but WOW! after it is in gear and put the pedal to the floor the LWFW is most defintely a kick in the pants!

Since quite a few have posted regarding chatter and other noises with lightweight flywheels I was quite curious about this. After 5 miles or so of stop and go, highway driving I could not detect any new sounds whatsoever. This included sitting at a standstill; both with it in gear and clutch depressed as well as in neutral with clutch depressed and not. Maybe after the clutch is broken in is when the chatter I have heard so much about will start?

Nice too the feeling knowing that I did it all myself!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely post a follow-up after you have broken in the clutch. As you can see there a number of members here in need of a new clutch..............
Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 AM
apterr
Racer

nosub,
Way to go. Would love to see pics if you took them. How many hours of work?
Thanks,
Andy T
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by apterr
nosub,
Way to go. Would love to see pics if you took them. How many hours of work?
Thanks,
Andy T
I posted the only pics I took due to my wife is out of town and took the digital camera with her and since I did it by myself was just a bit in "the zone" as far as getting it done was concerned. Total time was about 6 hours though it was spread over two days due to interruptions, running to the store for unrelated items, carpet cleaning guy showing up, etc.

Overall it was not that difficult of a job. The only challenge I had was getting the transmission stabbed back in. The hole that the shaft from the transmission that goes into at the flywheel/clutch is a pretty tight fit. The other vehicles I have installed new clutches in were Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and a '05 VW Jetta VR6 had a lot more clearance and just slid right in. I solved the alignment issue by using my die grinder to cut the heads off some bolts and then making a groove in them. Screwed them in to the engine transmission bell housing bolts and then slid the transmission in using them as a guide. Removed the guide bolts with a screw driver and replaced with the OEM bolts. Feels good to have done it myself and with the money I saved by not paying the dealer to do it was used for the AASCO flywheel. I also used the info at

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php

to get me started.

Considering what the OEM flywheels cost IMHO it is a no brainer getting a lighweight one for about the same cost.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nosub
I weighed the OEM flywheel that was removed and it was 30 pounds. The AASCO LWFW is 13. Definitely noticeable increase in performance.

I'm not sure what the math would be, maybe there's a math professor or physicist out there , but I bet the 17lbs of savings of rotational mass on the engine would be like losing 100lbs or so from the total weight of the car (?).

Any math wizzes out there?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM
4-large
Racer

nosub
Awesome job!
I thought that the motor had to be pulled or that is what I thought the dealer told me on a RMS??? I wander what the C4 adds to this job?
Did you get any special tools for the job? (clutch alinement tool, RMS tool)

Jerry
Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4-large
nosub
Awesome job!
I thought that the motor had to be pulled or that is what I thought the dealer told me on a RMS??? I wander what the C4 adds to this job?
Did you get any special tools for the job? (clutch alinement tool, RMS tool)

Jerry
The ONLY special tools were the clutch alignment tool, from Suncoast for $50 and a transmission jack from Norther Tool for $150. Had a motorcycle jack which I have used in the past as a transmission jack but the real transmission jack was much easier due to it has adjustments for tilt in both directions.

Was able to do it all by hand except for the star bolts holding the flywheel on which required the impact wrench to remove. More due to when doing by hand was too difficult to keep it from rotating.

Quick Reply: SUCCESS! ASCO LWFW and OEM clutch installed!