A thing of beauty... AASCO Lightweight Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:55 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by springgeyser
Yeah yeah. Didn't have my morning coffee.

Anyways I had a Fidanza LWFW in one of my other cars before no chatter. The saleperson there did tell me what they sell is the 8 bolt version.
That's OK, I screwed up the spelling on my "correction" because I left the "n" out completely. Unfortunately, I did have my morning coffee prior to that.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
What I really wanted you to notice was that the friction surface on mine is slightly different than yours. Did you notice that?
The eBay picture looks correct to me from other posts I've seen. (Not a sprung hub.)
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
nosub
Instructor

A couple folks thought there might be an issue with the friction area on the AASCO flywheel not mating up with the OEM clutch disc. Got the transmission pulled this morning and took a couple pics.

Laid the used clutch disc on the AASCO flywheel and the friction areas mate up perfectly!

Here is the old clutch. Good, NO GREAT TIMING!, the wear had just barely started to touch the rivets! YIKES!

All I am waiting on now is for UPS to deliver the new clutch kit so I can put it all back together. Total time spent to this point is 4 hours BUT that includes a few phone calls, getting something to eat and dealing with the carpet cleaning guy that came today.

Now that I am almost done, what is the recommended break in procedure?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 AM
nosub
Instructor

Well, almost done. Took a few hours off, all that is left is reconnecting the shift linkages, plugging the reverse light switch back in, torque the half shafts and the underbody plastic pieces. Was actually a pretty easy removal. Reinstall of the transmission was another story! For the life of me I thought I would never get it stabbed back in! Finally remembered a trick; got a few bolts and took the heads off, screwed them in the bell housing bolt holes and used them as guides. Of course would have been a breeze if I had a lift. Doing it on jack stands was a PITA!

Will post impression tomorrow after a drive, of course will not be able to offer much since it will be a day or so before break in of the new clutch is done....

Thanks to one and all for the help!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
DallasC4S
Advanced

Any updates? How do you like the new setup?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nosub
WOOT! UPS came and left not 5 minutes ago...

Great deal at $800 shipped ($750+$50 for 3 day UPS) from Ultrarev.com. Ordered Monday afternoon, in my hands on Wednesday.

Pcar is up on stands waiting on the clutch kit to arrive from Suncoast. Install on Friday and off we go!

This is why I prefer to do any of the maintenance myself that I can. Figure around $600 or so labor for clutch replaced at the dealer which is not much less than the flywheel. Win-win..

Yes, I have heard about the chatter, etc. have driven cars with LWFW's before (last was a '90 300ZX Twin Turbo with a twin plate clutch and Unorthodox LWFW. It was dyno'd at just shy of 425 RWHP and while there was some chatter it was not unbearable by any means). Basically it is a trade off.
How many AA batteries does it take?? I bet I have to change mine.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by DallasC4S
Any updates? How do you like the new setup?
Have ~450 miles on it and I would definitely do it again. Good bang for the buck and especially if you need to change the flywheel anyway (mine was still in good shape) it is a no-brainer

riad... those are the old dead AA's from the old FW. New one runs off dilythium crystals...
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM
DallasC4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by nosub
Have ~450 miles on it and I would definitely do it again. Good bang for the buck and especially if you need to change the flywheel anyway (mine was still in good shape) it is a no-brainer
Thanks. I may need to replace my clutch soon (slipping a little in 1st gear only) and I may go ahead and upgrade the flywheel as well. Do you happen to have the part numbers of the parts you ordered from UltraRev and Suncoast?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:07 AM
nosub
Instructor

No part numbers, just called them up and told them I needed a clutch kit. They sent all the necessary parts required. If you get the AASCO LWFW it includes new flywheel bolts.

For the LWFW
Part# 106411-11 Porshe 996
I paid $750 for the LWFW
Old 12-17-2007, 01:19 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

any rattling?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post