996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

911 greeting etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:07 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is funny, I want that T Shirt Riad! Although I did see the hottest girl driving a 986 yesterday driving a boxster and waving crazily, she might as well of jumped in my lap. She knew were she belongs on the "totem pole".
Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Google "Jeep Wave" sometime. It's hilarious. There's a wonderful protocol (not really observed, of course) about who has to wave first, based on how dirty, dented and modded the Jeep is. Surely, we could figure out something similar... water cooled guys have to wave first when meeting an air cooled guy, tips have to wave first when meeting a stickshift guy, boulevardiers have to wave before racers...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

how would you know if the other guy has a tip or 6 spd, maybe non aeros have to wave first! Or stock before visible mods!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
how would you know if the other guy has a tip or 6 spd, maybe non aeros have to wave first! Or stock before visible mods!
Or all other Porsche's before the C4S Cab. I'm just throwing it out there.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
Maybe Mike will make a poll so we can get some statistics.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
It's hit and miss here in PA.

Boxster owners never return a wave. I'll refrain from comment on that.

911 owners will 2 out of 3 times return a wave.
I wave from my garage
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just laugh out LOUD at all the fat bastards in their 911 or boxsters...and than realize that I aint no spring chicken anylonger...but a 41yr old fat bastard myself....where did the time go.

RIAD you should be become a standup comedian....you post (almost) always crack me up!..however it might be your turtleface in your avitar.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:06 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceP
Google "Jeep Wave" sometime. It's hilarious. There's a wonderful protocol (not really observed, of course) about who has to wave first, based on how dirty, dented and modded the Jeep is. Surely, we could figure out something similar... water cooled guys have to wave first when meeting an air cooled guy, tips have to wave first when meeting a stickshift guy, boulevardiers have to wave before racers...
Here in Boulder, where it seems like every second person is either a pro cylist, a pro tri-geek, or a wannabee cyclist/tri-geek, there's a very definite "hierarchy" of who greets when two cyclists pass each other head to head.

Generally, the wannabee initiates, and waves with hand and/or a head nod. The pro or semi-pro indicates his / her disdain by barely flicking a hand off the handlebar (he or she is too busy "training" you see..), or giving a slight nod with the head. If its truly one of the Boulder elite (or someone who believes they are), the nod becomes nothing more than a slight raise of the chin and an inclination of the head as they fly by.. while the truly desperate to belong are waving like their finger nail polish needs to dry while simultaneously nodding their head in imitation of a bobble head doll in the back window of a car.

Now, as to who is cooler than whom and how one determines this in the 10 seconds 2 cyclists approach and pass each other, as far as I can tell, it's based on a set of rules based on age and expense of bike, age and musculature of bike rider, whether they're legs are shaved or not, and whether they're an actual pro or just a wannabee.. it's all quite complicated, but most of the local cyclists seem to understand it inately.

And if you don't understand the rules, well, you're likely to be the the bobble-head doll drying yourfingernails, and definitely not part of the "in" crowd anyway.

- Nick
Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

BoulderNick, I laughed out loud at your post. Porsche guys are amateurs compared to road cyclists when it comes to arcane customs, hierarchy and snobbery. Imagine if a bunch of guys went out for a drive together and were expected to "just know" who goes to the line, who leads out the sprint in sacrifice to the leader, who carries water and spares, and who rides home alone because they were dropped for not observing the rules. And that's just on a training ride. Never made it past 'loyal domestique' myself...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I think it is a regional thing. When I lived in CT, 90% of Porsche owners waved.
in CT, i'd say at least 60% wave. (sad, but true, i only wave at 911's and sometimes 944's and 928's). my wife can't stop cracking up when they dont' wave back, but i tell her i have no choice in the matter.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aben8057
Maybe Mike will make a poll so we can get some statistics.

He already has made a poll and three threads about said poll!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I just laugh out LOUD at all the fat bastards in their 911 or boxsters...and than realize that I aint no spring chicken anylonger...but a 41yr old fat bastard myself....where did the time go.

RIAD you should be become a standup comedian....you post (almost) always crack me up!..however it might be your turtleface in your avitar.
Wow turtle face! I think thats harsh.... If you bag on yourself first does that give you the go ahead to call someone a turtle face! I will try tonight!!!

Like this: I am a disgusting *****!, Yes honey your *** does look fat in those jeans you turtle face!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I wave from my garage

Phil's hand movements in a dark corner - Some might mistake it for something else.

I do keep an eye out for you, but like the Loch Ness Monster your sightings are more myth than reality.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb

Thanks!!

Wait...
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I wave from my garage

Phil, that is a GREAT line!

Quick Reply: 911 greeting etiquette