911 greeting etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:34 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if the Porsche is painted black, white or grey it can easily blend in
Correction: If the 996 is painted black, white or grey it can easily blend in.

Okay, okay, uncle! I'll go back to the 993 board...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
I also wanted to add that the colour of the car will also make a diff IMHO.

I will notice a Porsche if it is painted correctly, sorry, with a bright colour, well it's either a Porsche or some exotic car in most cases.
Here in the midwest, if I see a car painted bright yellow, it's probably a Chevy Cavalier or Colorado pickup or equally boring car. There seems to be no correlation between "bright color" and "semi-exotic car" anymore.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
it's a hat and a wife beater dude. the ladies love the guns.

so you put up a pic of yourself so we can play fair else u really need to consider not looking at pics of dudes and bringing attn to it on top of that.
The combination of hat and shirt seems like an attempt to pull off some gangsta thing. Ridiculous, really.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carpundit
The combination of hat and shirt seems like an attempt to pull off some gangsta thing. Ridiculous, really.
I'm pretty sure Ben was being facetious.....no one really believes that's cool do they?

Speed demons back tatoo on the other hand....now that might intimidate me. Oddly though it turns out he's a full on gentleman. Wierd. I'm confused.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carpundit
He's just different. I seriously doubt he is a bad person.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
rleeq
Racer

Well my picture has not been modified, so you are going to either like it or not (probably because of the subject matter), but it is the art work that you should admire...oh and tattoo's do not hurt

Maybe I should use it for my avatar

You might want to talk to your barber about your hair level.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:24 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
So, you're still jealous of me with only 2360 miles, right?
hahaha Phil....yes indeed...your car still looks brand spankin new!!!! Wanna trade for a day? I'll drive yours to fill it up, and you can put unlimited miles and hit the rev limiter on mine!!

J
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well my picture has not been modified, so you are going to either like it or not (probably because of the subject matter), but it is the art work that you should admire...oh and tattoo's do not hurt

Maybe I should use it for my avatar

Did you take a tylenol, at least?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will notice a Porsche if it is painted correctly, sorry, with a bright colour, well it's either a Porsche or some exotic car in most cases. So if the Porsche is painted black, white or grey it can easily blend inD
bro u know i love you like a rennlist brother but u gotta get off this whole silver/black is boring on a porsche tip.

1 yes your car is yellow

2 yes your car is slammed on black w/ polished lip top tier wheels

3 your car has a huge wing on the back with aggressive skirts front and sides

= 4 you will get mad looks regardless of color, **** i'd look at ya ride and give u props

yellow is great like it's great on taxi, buses, rain slicks... u know i like speed yellow, but silver and black are classic colors on any sports car. silver is porsche's motorsport color. yea you right it's common, but it's far from boring.

and believe me if u saw me heading your way, you'd take notice right away

peace,
Old 09-10-2007, 02:10 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

bro u know i love you like a rennlist brother but u gotta get off this whole silver/black is boring on a porsche tip.

1 yes your car is yellow

= 4 you will get mad looks regardless of color, **** i'd look at ya ride and give u props

yellow is great like it's great on taxi, buses, rain slicks... u know i like speed yellow, but silver and black are classic colors on any sports car. silver is porsche's motorsport color. yea you right it's common, but it's far from boring.

peace,

Yeah, what he said. I think???

P.S. Word to ya motha!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

silver is porsche's motorsport color. yea you right it's common, but it's far from boring.
Actually, just to inject some pedantic fun into this, silver was Germany's "motorsport color" back when F1 teams raced for their countries rather than for sponsors. And green was Britain, and blue was France, and red was Italy... Porsche has no cultural claim on it. BUT, Porsche has made some of the most beautiful automotive silvers ever, and nothing shows of the lines of a 911 quite like it, IMHO, common or not.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Best color = more common color > resale value. I think that math works. Of course when the 996 becomes collectible in the year 2150 I guess the more uncommon colors could bring better resale but till then I think the average person would take silver over yellow. Of course I have blue so not sure where that puts me other than in a car I love which most of us do no matter the color.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to topic.
I wave at every p-car owner, 944 to 911TT (haven't passed a CGT). I will agree Boxters are the least likely to wave. I just attribute to "there's one in every crowd".
I was bringing my son from his mom's to Rock Hill via I20 in Columbia and a 993 caught up with me. We had a spirited 15 miles on I-20 doing 100+, till he got off. We both honked and waved to each other. What a blast!
I just ignore and snobbery withen p-car land. I think most people own a Porsche for the same reason. the only difference in any of us is how much we want to/can spend on our driving 'dreams'.
I'll also wave at vettes, BMW's, anything where I think the person thinks just like me about his toy. If I meet them, I also always complement their ride and ask many questions about it. Most of the time, they are as enthusistic about their purchase as I am mine. I very much appreciate that!!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I know this is somewhat off topic:
Originally Posted by jasper
I'm pretty sure Ben was being facetious.....no one really believes that's cool do they?

Speed demons back tatoo on the other hand....now that might intimidate me. Oddly though it turns out he's a full on gentleman. Wierd. I'm confused.
Thanks...I am a good example of someone that lives an extreme life but is very professional when it comes to work etc.

Originally Posted by rleeq
You might want to talk to your barber about your hair level.
yeah I got it corrected after I saw the photo

Originally Posted by discoganya

Did you take a tylenol, at least?
Nope...took the pain like a man

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Here in the midwest, if I see a car painted bright yellow, it's probably a Chevy Cavalier or Colorado pickup or equally boring car. There seems to be no correlation between "bright color" and "semi-exotic car" anymore.
I can understand I see the same vehicles out my way

1 yes your car is yellow

peace,
Ben...trying to see if I can keep everyone on there toes here on rennlist and make this place a bit more exciting, you know what I mean bro this place does get a little boring from time to time
Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I'm glad that you wave, but am bummed that it is down to 60%. I moved away in 1996 so I guess times change. The CVR was a great group of guys. From what I remember most Porsches on the road in CT had CVR stickers on their rear side windows. That was very cool...

-B

even assuming my guess is even remotely accurate, prolly reflects growing 911 sales and a larger demographic driving these cars, i.e., more mainstream post-yuppie types who don't give a damn buying these cars up. lotta older gents don't wave, equally with younger ones. always funny to get that tentative and a bit surprised wave back from the uninitiated.

Quick Reply: 911 greeting etiquette