996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sticky Accelerator on CPO 996

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
m2fit4u2
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just followed the directions of what MJBird posted and it has made an improvement with my 01, 996TT:-) Sorry I did not take pics.
The following users liked this post:
Kingwilliams (08-16-2019)
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Super! Glad I was of some help.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM
DC Porsche
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- I have an '01 996 and the gas pedal is not smooth at all and has became a major annoyance- so much so that I don't want to drive the car. I've asked my mechanic twice to look at it and he didn't have a clue.

The symptoms in the posting are exactly what my car has, and just spent about an hour trying to remove the gas pedal assembly.

I unscrewed the one screw, pulled up the boot on the connecting rod, but couldn't ge the assembly to budge at all. It sounds as if I am to slide it up and then pull it off.. not sure totally if that makes sense since it appears to be connected to the pedal, but perhaps I am missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the car will have to sit until I can get this resolved. My wife complains I am giving her whiplash while driviing. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There was a thread here a while back about this. The guy removed a C-clip or something that was binding up the ball and causing the pedal to feel jerky.

He said it made a huge improvement.

You may find the thread with a search.

I haven't tried it but would love a smoother feeling throttle .
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 AM
DC Porsche
2nd Gear

Default Sticky Pedal

I read the post about the issue but didn't see anything about a C-clip. Is this in the actual assembly or something attached to the gas pedal? Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC Porsche
I read the post about the issue but didn't see anything about a C-clip. Is this in the actual assembly or something attached to the gas pedal? Thanks!
I don't remember if these were the threads I saw but found them with a quick search...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-for-03-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...i-love-it.html
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The throttle in my 2002 996 Carrera 2 was not very smooth, so I pulled out the entire pedal assembly to clean and grease it. I also used some screws to minimize the play between the pedal and and the base. I was very happy with the results - the throttle no longer feels like an on/off switch, as I am now able to modulate it with much greater precision.

Items needed:
- phillips head screwdriver
- white lithium grease

(optional)
- drill
- 1/16" drill bit (pre-drill)
- 5/32" drill bit (countersink)
- 4x 3/8" long sheet metal screws (McMaster.com #90033A105)

As I was unable to disengage the throttle cable from under the dash, I disassembled the pedal in the footwell. Remove the one screw in the top left hand corner that holds it to the floor and push the assembly up and towards the front to disengage it from the floor.

Remove the 4 screws on the right side to open up the assembly and unhook the cable from the pivot:

Disassemble (the metal rod connecting the pedal from the base will pull right out of the housing with a little force) and wash every part with dish soap and water:

Grease both points where the rod inserts into the pedal/base housings, and the pivot shaft housing. There was some play btwn the pedal and flex joint, so I added 2 screws to affix them together (as seen btwn the 2 plastic clips on the bottom of the pedal):

Assemble as pictured before re-installing:

Reinstall the throttle cable and assemble in the footwell. I added 2 more screws to affix the flex joint to the pedal base:

Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This weekend I was going to do the above as laz74. Turned out that the ball end from the rod popped out of the back of gas pedal. Now no binding.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Wausau 911
Instructor

Same procedure for an '04 C2 ??
Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I had a sticky throttle on my '99 996. After I took apart the accelerator pedal assembly and greased everything up nicely - thanks for posting the pictures, that REALLY helped me - I still had a sticky throttle. Mine was sticky off idle. So that's a TIP: if it's sticky when the throttle is closed, it might be the actual throttle body. I took the air box tube leading to the throttle and sure enough, it was sticky there. So I covered the air box opening with plastic (you don't want carb cleaner getting into the air box or on the MAF, etc.), and used a rag with some carb cleaner to clean the inside of the throttle body. Need help holding the throttle butterfly wide open? A used up cardboard roll from wrapping paper was the perfect length to wedge between the gas pedal and the steering wheel. After manually rubbing the inside of the throttle body, removing the wrapping paper cardboard tube, I then started my car and let it idle. I then sprayed small amounts of carb cleaner into the throttle body.

This completely resolved my sticky throttle issue.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:31 PM
redciv1
AutoX

I realize this thread is 4 years old., However, I am facing a similar issue where from idle, the pedal barely moves unless I practically stomp on the pedal. Help!!!
Old 11-20-2021, 06:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by redciv1
I realize this thread is 4 years old., However, I am facing a similar issue where from idle, the pedal barely moves unless I practically stomp on the pedal. Help!!!
First thing to check is try to move the throttle body valve directly from the throttle body in the engine bay. If you cannot move it from there, with your hand (use a glove and be careful not to get your finger pinched), then the valve is stuck. If you can move it easily, even though it’s under a lot of spring pressure, then the problem is somewhere between the cable and the foot pedal. There is a throttle stop screw that you can adjust if the throttle isn’t resting on the screw. I think it should be resting on the screw, otherwise the valve will be resting on the bore of the throttle body cavity, which is not good and will score it.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:39 PM
redciv1
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
First thing to check is try to move the throttle body valve directly from the throttle body in the engine bay. If you cannot move it from there, with your hand (use a glove and be careful not to get your finger pinched), then the valve is stuck. If you can move it easily, even though it’s under a lot of spring pressure, then the problem is somewhere between the cable and the foot pedal. There is a throttle stop screw that you can adjust if the throttle isn’t resting on the screw. I think it should be resting on the screw, otherwise the valve will be resting on the bore of the throttle body cavity, which is not good and will score it.
Thank you for the reply. I did check the throttle and it is able to be moved by hand very freel. I ran out of time today so tomorrow will check the peddle assembly.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:13 AM
redciv1
AutoX

Posted up on Rennlist and Facebook Outlaw Boxster site and someone nailed the problem with the pedal. When I was wiping down the engine or after I started the engine, I blipped the engine from the throttle body and pushed the cable off of the black curved piece on the linkage. Put it back on this morning and everything fine.🤗
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 10:28 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

OMG....sigh

Quick Reply: Sticky Accelerator on CPO 996