Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

why is the 993 worth so much more than a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
So you are saying that if I get a 993 the feces-throwing monkeys will stop attacking me every time I drive my 996?

I will say that you 993-drivers, er, I mean, monkeys, have a really good aim.

Hey...why make such a racist remark Monkeys come in all colors
Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sptschoice
Hey...why make such a racist remark Monkeys come in all colors
I used the term so that people would get my joke. Sounds like ya missed it http://www.nbc4.com/money/13502041/detail.html

http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/getnthru.wav
Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the term so that people would get my joke. Sounds like ya missed it http://www.nbc4.com/money/13502041/detail.html

http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/getnthru.wav
No offense, but I doubt that the international web community that visits this forum will get a joke about something that is happening on your little corner of your universe.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:11 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by cabrio993
No offense, but I doubt that the international web community that visits this forum will get a joke about something that is happening on your little corner of your universe.
Oh for pity's sake. Don't be so sensitive. I posted a link to the news story. Unless you have been living under a rock, everyone has heard about the idiot DC judge who is suing the poor Korean drycleaners for FIFTY EIGHT MILLION dollars because they lost his lucky pants, particularly the Korean community who is watching the case very carefully. I was joking around, and there was nothing racist about it, and I posted a link, so I don't need anybody to preach to me. Lighten up people.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waydeki
spare me the diatribes about the 993's air cooled pedigree and "last of the air cooled era" blah, blah, blah. i get that. is that all there is too it? i love a purist's car. but there has to be more to it. and no, i wouldn't dump my 996 for a 993 if i could afford one. unless it's a C4S. maybe.
Because it has more 964 parts on it...
Old 06-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh for pity's sake. Don't be so sensitive. I posted a link to the news story. Unless you have been living under a rock, everyone has heard about the idiot DC judge who is suing the poor Korean drycleaners for FIFTY EIGHT MILLION dollars because they lost his lucky pants, particularly the Korean community who is watching the case very carefully. I was joking around, and there was nothing racist about it, and I posted a link, so I don't need anybody to preach to me. Lighten up people.
I have heard about it all the way down here in TX. It was on the national news. I find often on Rennlist that other forums are much more tight in their posts than we are here on the 996 forum. Lacking a sense of humor, where here we all seem to have a good time, sometimes at each others expense but at the end of the day move on. If 993 guys want to come over here then they need to understand how things run OVER HERE. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with your original post TD. My .02.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And now you've got the "I know it's not fast but it feels fast and I know it's heavy but it's got big fenders and I'm so pissed the guy in the boxster didn't wave at me I just bet he pronounces porsche with one syllable" crowd preaching at you. Nice job Todd.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
And now you've got the "I know it's not fast but it feels fast and I know it's heavy but it's got big fenders and I'm so pissed the guy in the boxster didn't wave at me I just bet he pronounces porsche with one syllable" crowd preaching at you. Nice job Todd.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I assume it was your evil twin who ran over a posted a thread in the 993 forum suggesting that everyone come over and troll the 996 forum? The thread had a legitimate question. I wish that not every legitimate questions devolves into a debate about superiority of 993 v. 996. That is pointless.
Lighten up with the troll talk. These boards would put us all to sleep if we didn't have good natured arguments, and most of this thread was of that nature. Very few posters hit below the belt to point out "real negatives" of our cars, like lRMS issues on 996's and SAI problems on the 993's. But if this type of thread bothers you, why are you still posting to it a dozen times a day, when the original question was asked and answered at least 100 posts ago.? Admit it. You obviously like petty bickering as much as the next guy.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by hddude
Lighten up with the troll talk. These boards would put us all to sleep if we didn't have good natured arguments, and most of this thread was of that nature. Very few posters hit below the belt to point out "real negatives" of our cars, like like RMS issues on 996's and SAI problems on the 993's. But if this type of thread bothers you, why are you still posting to it a dozen times a day? Admit it. You obviously like petty bickering as much as the next guy.

oohhhhhhh the interweb is serious and I am obviously being very, very serious because my manhood is tied up in proving that my 996 is superior to the 993. yes, very serious indeed. And I never post tongue in cheek, no siree bob. this is all very, very serious business. And this is my house so I can say whatever I want because I own the place. Yes, my higher post count makes me much more important and I have authority over all with lower counts. And I am never sarcastic, so take me seriously!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and become a member why don't you . . oh, I see you are, well no matter, become a member again you cheapskate!

But I can see how you would be pissed at me when, afterall, this is what you posted https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/359856-993-v-996-resale-values-new-thread.html

I'm on a roll today!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
993inNC
Race Car

One of the biggest insults that gets thrown at the 996 everyday is that it looks too much like a Boxster. I was simply remarking that I have never understood that insult. Who cares? Did we buy our Porsches to prove how much money we have to spend?
I know if I bought a new 996 (back in the day) and saw a car with the same front end, but at a cheaper price......I'd be pissed! The entire front end including the doors (IIRC) are the same for both, so it comes down to mid or rear engine. Thats just mass marketing for the sake of capital acquisition and nothing more. 993's were built when the company was down in the dumps and was an expensive car to produce.
I think thats what its all about. These aren't supposed to be high numbered mass market cars for any yahoo to own. P-cars have always been an exclusive club of enthusiast, not a yuppie's car with automatic trannys as an almost standard feature.

Just my .0002 cents
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I know if I bought a new 996 (back in the day) and saw a car with the same front end, but at a cheaper price......I'd be pissed! The entire front end including the doors (IIRC) are the same for both, so it comes down to mid or rear engine. Thats just mass marketing for the sake of capital acquisition and nothing more. 993's were built when the company was down in the dumps and was an expensive car to produce.
I think thats what its all about. These aren't supposed to be high numbered mass market cars for any yahoo to own. P-cars have always been an exclusive club of enthusiast, not a yuppie's car with automatic trannys as an almost standard feature.

Just my .0002 cents
I don't care in the least. I did not become a member of a club on the basis of the car I bought. I bought it to drive. So, if it looks like a cheaper model, so much the better. In fact, I prefer it because I am ashamed to flaunt wealth. The only thing that matters to me is how the car drives. The 996 is lighter and faster on the track, and it is a much more comfortable daily driver. That's why I bought one, not because I care about what anyone else thinks about my choice, or whether it looks like a cheaper model.

When I first went looking for a Porsche, I was looking for a 993. They are very pretty after all. After looking for a long time, I decided that the 996, for my needs, did everything the 993 did but better. If I had known more about Porsches at the time, I very well may have focused on 964s, but you have to start somewhere.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I'll give you all your points about faster, comfort etc..........
Why on earth would you be ashamed to let your life successes be shown by means of the car you drive? If you have done well in life, you should embrace the ability to show it. All things done in taste shouldn't be viewed as shameful. I love that I am fortunate enough to own and drive my car, as well as the fact that with the new 997's it looks even more new again.......something we 993 guys tend to get asked on a regular basis. And it looks like nothing else on the road........priceless!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I'll give you all your points about faster, comfort etc..........
Why on earth would you be ashamed to let your life successes be shown by means of the car you drive? If you have done well in life, you should embrace the ability to show it. All things done in taste shouldn't be viewed as shameful. I love that I am fortunate enough to own and drive my car, as well as the fact that with the new 997's it looks even more new again.......something we 993 guys tend to get asked on a regular basis. And it looks like nothing else on the road........priceless!
I'm really not trying to be difficult here . . . I promise I love to drive beautiful cars. However, if I had an option to push a button that created a hologram around me that made the car look like a Geo, I would be ecstatic. I would rather people think of me as being far below my means and judge me on that basis than treat me a certain way (better or worse) because they think I am a man of means.

It may have something to do with my philosophy of life. Some people think they are lucky for what they have, while others believe they have earned it. I think I have been very lucky in that I have been blessed to be born of good parents in a great country at a great time in history, and further that I have had opportunities to be very well educated and to have been successful in my career. Although I have worked hard, and I still do, I still have been lucky.

So, when I drive my Porsches, I would just as soon be invisible, unless I am trying to pass you on the track and then I just want you to get the $%^& out of my way!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I know if I bought a new 996 (back in the day) and saw a car with the same front end, but at a cheaper price......I'd be pissed!
Chris, I'm going to tell the wifey you said that. She won't take kindly to your comments. She worked hard to buy that 100K 996 CAB some time back "in the day". She looked at MANY different variants but when it came down to it, seeing that 996CAB sitting on the showroom floor took her breath away. Many years later, 65K miles on it, several track events, and not a single problem over all those years I'd say she not only has the car SHE wanted (which everybody seems to miss the point here) but a damn reliable one at that.

See you at the next track event! Maybe by then she will have forgot and won't have to kick you tail in on the circuit Just don't remind her about the kink at CMP

**for those of you that think I am attacking Chris, I am not. We are good friends and I am just razzin' him**

Quick Reply: why is the 993 worth so much more than a 996?