Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those appear to be 850 double pumpers!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pirate: Sorry...the guys got a bit distracted and off subject...it happens quite a bit...especially to the older guys....but reference your question on where to get the 3.6L mufflers....put an ad (you have to be a paying member to do some of this) on the WTB section...also on RennTech, and put a search routine into eBay that will alert you to anything that has anything to do with "Porsche mufflers". I saw a guy on Rennlist just the other day who said he had a set of the 3.6L mufflers....another Rennlister just got a pair off eBay for under $30!! I paid $100 for mine off eBay...so they're out there and you will definitely get a set, you just have to be looking and alert.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Arnee, your muffler shop guy said to use Aluminzed tubing. I think that is what they used on yours. The different places that I asked said it is the same thing. In fact they said it is better because it doesn't rust or corode. It has the exact same dimensions and thickness as the pipes that Darin (Fister D) reffered me to get at Burns. Any input?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
911pirate
Intermediate

I still looking to see if any one has a good set of 3.6's they would like to part with...anyone?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Man I love mine!!!! Sounds like an exotic should! Turns heads in a good way! Best mod out for the $$$$$!
Thanks guys! Not too quiet, not too loud, just right!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oshin951
I have that on my 99 996 i like the way it sounds
More pics of the avatar! LOL!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Had my 3.6L mkII modded mufflers put on today. Took her for another spin tonight and the sounds is NICE!!! I like it a lot. Nice and normal sound level at normal crusing rpm and LOUD when you push down on the accelerator. I drove through a bridge on the way home and floored it. WOW, what a sound! I even surprised myself with the roar from my car.

I've listened to the PSE many times before and I would be hard pressed to tell any difference at all. If you factor in the price difference ($2000+ cheaper) then I think it's an absolute no-brainer.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:31 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took you long enough, Matt!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

hahaha, I know. I think I hold the record for slowest install of MKII mufflers.

A complete re-landscaping of the yard took up all my time. I severly underestimated the complexity of that project. Add in a few business trips abroad and a vacation for three weeks and voila...it never gets done.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: Glad to see you finally took the plunge....now, after it's all over and done with, it's good to see you so pleased with the results....it amazes me that with all the guys on this forum giving their thumbs up for this mod....that there are still some folks who keep wondering if it's a good move. For the money and the results (fantastic sound) it is really one of the best mods you can do....certainly one of the cheapest provided you can pick up the 3.6 mufflers at a decent price. I think they are actually a bit louder if you install the CAI too...mine seem to be getting louder as time goes by.

Did you have Darin put them in?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Chuck: I'm glad I did it too. Don't regret it at all. I was hesitant but now I can completely agree with you. It cost me a grand total of $350 to get it done and installed. Compared to what the PSE costs this is a steal! Love the sound. I took her out for another drive tonight and the only complaint I can come up with is that it increases the risk of a speeding ticket. I just keep revving to hear that lovely sound

Darin did the mod for me. Great workmanship. When you see some of the pics that have been posted you really appreciate the excellent work from Darin. Nice clean welds.

I had Sharkwerks put on the mufflers for me. Not that far from where I live and another Rennlist recommendation that turned out great. Alex was super helpful and it was fun to see his shop and white beast. Unfortunately I found out that my car has an RMS leak now....fortunately I have CPO so I'm booking a time to get it fixed asap. New clutch is part of the plan as well.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 AM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

btw...Big thanks to Chuck and Tim for convincing me to do the mkII mod. You guys rock!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Swede: This is a prime example of the forum's sort of "pass-it-on"....Tim got on me and convinced me to do it....then Tim and I got on you....now you can add your name to the list of "satisfied customers" and help convince another Rennlister .....there's getting to be quite a list of happy MKII mod folks out there. As far as I'm concerned, the small contribution I made to become a member on this forum has paid for itself many many times over.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
btw...Big thanks to Chuck and Tim for convincing me to do the mkII mod. You guys rock!
Matt - you are welcome!

I guess you didn't really trust us much 'cuz it took you so long to do it. (I read you earlier post about landscaping, work, vacation...) Just bustin' your chops a little!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Swede: This is a prime example of the forum's sort of "pass-it-on"....Tim got on me and convinced me to do it....then Tim and I got on you....now you can add your name to the list of "satisfied customers" and help convince another Rennlister .....there's getting to be quite a list of happy MKII mod folks out there. As far as I'm concerned, the small contribution I made to become a member on this forum has paid for itself many many times over.
... or has actually cost you 1,000 X that amount!

Quick Reply: PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?