Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cos: Yes...I think that's the primary reason...I have my original 3.4L mufflers in the garage saving them in the event I ever did want to switch back to stock. I keep all original parts when I do any mod so that I can retro if necessary. Plus the fact that there wasn't much info out on the MKI or MKII mods when I did mine, and the unknown factor made it prudent to keep the originals.

At this point, there are enough folks out there (me included) who can vouch for the process as well as the results....that you can be pretty sure the results will be satisfactory.

If you want a set of the original 3.4L mufflers...I can give you the name of another 996 fellow who is willing to give his stockers to a Pcar afficianado. All you'd have to do is pay the shipping from Sacramento, CA. The weight of these mufflers is about 45 pounds...and IIRC, shipping runs around $60 via UPS...maybe a bit more to Florida.

Chuck
Old 04-27-2007, 04:32 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chuck! I don't think I want the 3.4 cans. I remember Tim offered the ready-modded 3.4 MK1 cans, but I'd prefer to stick with the 3.6 cans as it seems everyone's saying the MK2 sounds better.

I'll think about it for a while, I might just go ahead and mod my original cans.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Chuck & Tim,

Why is it that everyone who wants to do the mod, has to have an extra set of the cans?
Is it so they can switch them back to the originals if they don't like it after the mod is done?

Since I can't seem to acquire a spare set, I've been thinking of using my originals on the car.
I don't need the Pcar everyday for daily transport so it can sit in the garage while I remove the cans for welding. The only thing that is holding me back is...what IF it's too loud, or for whatever reason I regret the mod...

I've listened to clips, but I know it's hard to judge from them. I really need to listen to a live roar in person, then I'd be able to say, "That's what I want for sure!"
The only reason I didn't use my original stock 3.6L cans because I am leasing the car. If I decide not to purchase it at lease end, I will put the stock cans back on the car. If I owned the car, then no problem, I would have done this in a heart beat!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by zose
This may be a dumb question, but I am planning on doing the MKII mod. I am picking up a set of stock mufflers from a shop that took them off someone else's car who was installing aftermarket mufflers. Is there a way to know if the set I am picking up are from a 3.6L as opposed to the 3.4L. I'm not sure if the owner of the shop will remember what car they came off as he just had them in his parts.

Thanks
Zose - look at the pic below. The muffler on the left is a 3.4L muffler. The intake (longer) pipe, which connects to the cat, is a regular pipe. Note: the 3.4L can has already had the MK II PSE mod completed on it.

The muffler on the right is a 3.6L muffler. The intake pipe has the "accordion effect" (circled) built into the pipe. THis one is totally stock (no modifications have been done to it).

Accordion = 3.6L muffler
No accordion = 3.4L muffler
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
zose
Advanced

Tim-
Thank you very much..that is exactly what I was looking for! I'll let you know how the install goes next week.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

for all this trouble and uncertainty, why not just buy the real thing?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
for all this trouble and uncertainty, why not just buy the real thing?
Money What uncertainty are you talking about. No one that I know that has done this mod has had any problems

Cost me $70 to mod,

Min $1500 for the real ones
Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Uncertainty as in piping, whether the welds will hold over time, time, not sure whether you're losing power or not... that kinda stuff.

And ultimately, the sound. You're not ever really getting that PSE sound, just close to it.

I'm not trying to be condescending at all... I figured it had to do with price, but at what "cost" is the thing I'm questioning.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:06 PM
evansaero
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Uncertainty as in piping, whether the welds will hold over time, time, not sure whether you're losing power or not... that kinda stuff.

And ultimately, the sound. You're not ever really getting that PSE sound, just close to it.

I'm not trying to be condescending at all... I figured it had to do with price, but at what "cost" is the thing I'm questioning.
Fair questions... I can only answer for me

Piping- is not really a big deal as with the difference between 2" and 2 1/4" the volume difference of air is minimal. Sound would only be slightly deeper with the larger pipe

Welds- will hold as long as the guy doing the work is not a complete idiot

Power- This one has been debated to death I believe there is no gain or loss, but I have never done a dyno. Porsche PSE's claim on loss or gain

Sound- It sounds perfect to me. I was not looking to have the sound of the PSE's or Fabspeed. I just wanted it to be louder and it is

So after weighing all of the above I decided it was the most cost effective way to getting what I wanted. If some thing goes wrong, well then I just put back on the old 3.4 muffs and be out $70

P.S. I didn't feel you were condescending. It really is the money
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
zose
Advanced

I would have to agree with evansaero. I am keeping my stock cans just in case I dont' like it or I decide to sell my car at some point. I'll be out almost nothing for the mod and it'll be a fun day working under the car. Benjamin, since you're local to me if you want to see / hear them after I'm done, you're more than welcome too. I'm picking up the cans this weekend, and will probably dive into it next weekend.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My cost was free, I was not **** about using SS so I used mild steel tubing. You can use alumized pipe also (cheaper), should never rust.

You guys who are worried about not liking the sound, I guarantee you will over the stock cans. If dont like it, you have no pulse and should buy a hybrid.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'm with evansero...cost was the primary factor in deciding to go with the MKII mod. I don't think I would gain that much in sound satisfaction by spending another $1200 to get "pure" PSE sound. I'd have to put a PSE car right next to mine to be able to tell the difference....but driving down the road all I can hear is a very satisfying sound.

I stuck my car next to Loren's (RennTech) and will admit that his PSE sound was deeper, a bit more refined, and had a better growl at idle....but away from his car, I couldnt' tell the difference.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tippy
If dont like it, you have no pulse and should buy a hybrid.
What's good out there? Prius?

+1 to evansaero's comments.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:06 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Hey guys, you have been so helpfull. I just bought an 02 996 c2 cab and would like to take the car to a muffler shop and have them do everything. Does anyone recomend a particular shop here is Los Angeles? I prefer for it to sound as exact as possible to the PSE...no more, no less!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHAY2N10
Hey guys, you have been so helpfull. I just bought an 02 996 c2 cab and would like to take the car to a muffler shop and have them do everything. Does anyone recomend a particular shop here is Los Angeles? I prefer for it to sound as exact as possible to the PSE...no more, no less!
Where in Los Angeles, specifically? There's Lucent Motors in West LA. www.lucentmotor.com tell them Arnee sent you.

Quick Reply: PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?