Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worried? I can't see that there's much to worry about. I haven't heard of a single person who's done the MKII mods that have not liked them. All these explanations about how something sounds are subjectvie at best...I think you're over complicating this whole thing. If you're worried about the sound...then spend the $1500 for PSE and get it right. Otherwise, take the advice and suggestions from a whole lot of folks who have done this mod and just do it. Your total outlay for a set of MKII mods will be around $250-300 depending upon how much the 3.6L mufflers end up costing you. If you want to throw the Carnewal mufflers into the mix...I can't help you because I've never heard them, and no one in this discussion thread has addressed them either. Just makes it more complicated.

Better still....find someone who has the MKII mods who lives in your area and go listen to them. I can tell you with 95% confidence that you'll like what you hear. This thread has gone for 11 pages...more than enough for you to go back and read about the different mods and make up your mind.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:11 AM
su20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Chuck.

I did the mod myself on my '02 C4S. Don't know where you sit, shay2n10, but if you're in southeastern PA you're welcome to hear it for yourself.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a set of 3.6 cans on ebay for $20.50... lol

I have PSE, but I have an annoying rattle that I think is either something loose in cats or exhaust so if its exhaust I have super cheap fix.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Worried? I can't see that there's much to worry about. I haven't heard of a single person who's done the MKII mods that have not liked them. All these explanations about how something sounds are subjectvie at best...I think you're over complicating this whole thing. If you're worried about the sound...then spend the $1500 for PSE and get it right. Otherwise, take the advice and suggestions from a whole lot of folks who have done this mod and just do it. Your total outlay for a set of MKII mods will be around $250-300 depending upon how much the 3.6L mufflers end up costing you. If you want to throw the Carnewal mufflers into the mix...I can't help you because I've never heard them, and no one in this discussion thread has addressed them either. Just makes it more complicated.

Better still....find someone who has the MKII mods who lives in your area and go listen to them. I can tell you with 95% confidence that you'll like what you hear. This thread has gone for 11 pages...more than enough for you to go back and read about the different mods and make up your mind.
You're absolutely correct Chuck, and I always think too much about these things. But I was set to go until my buddy had told me that the carnewal modded exhaust sound more like the PSE. And you know what comes after that..."Trust Me"! In which I do, but as you said its all subjective. I have been PM'ed by a fellow rennlister who is also truly helpful and is willing to sell me the ones he got from someone else at the same price and I think I will just do the MKII. Although, If I got the carnewal moded exhaust I might take the hit as an experiment and report back my results. Is anyone in the Los Angeles vicinity that has either of the mods so I can here the MKII mod as Chuck suggested?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

I have the MKII on the 3.6L cans on my 02 C4S... you can listen to them this weekend and hear for yourself. You will NOT be disappointed.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:29 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Shay: Why....with all these recommendations and kudos for the MKII....are you going to "take the hit as an experiment"? You have countless guys here all telling you that you won't be disappointed with the MKII...and you're considering an "experiment"? I sincerely hope your experiment comes out to your satisfaction. I think if you and Arnee get together your mind will be made up.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

I just got back from the exhaust shop. They went with a 2" cut out in the hole using 2.25 Stainless Steel pipe. They used a plasma cutter to cut the hole. To do the mods and install was only $168.00! So total bill was $418.00 for everything! The sound is much much better and with the new Schnell CAI you can tell a difference in throttle response. I love it! Thanks for all the advice!
A special thanks to Tim (gotta911) for giving me the idea! Thanks Tim!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:02 PM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

I'm getting with Arnee tonight? Just thought maybe I can be famous for taking it a step farther! Okay fine, I'll stay with security of fame. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Arnee is the guy that said you could listen to his car.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphahunter
I just got back from the exhaust shop. They went with a 2" cut out in the hole using 2.25 Stainless Steel pipe. They used a plasma cutter to cut the hole. To do the mods and install was only $168.00! So total bill was $418.00 for everything! The sound is much much better and with the new Schnell CAI you can tell a difference in throttle response. I love it! Thanks for all the advice!
A special thanks to Tim (gotta911) for giving me the idea! Thanks Tim!
You are welcome!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I'm finding that the MKII mod of the 3.6 mufflers....is getting louder as time goes by. Driving in the neighborhood, I usually have to keep it under 3000 rpm otherwise it becomes "noticeable". Anyone else notice an increase in the sound levels?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I'm finding that the MKII mod of the 3.6 mufflers....is getting louder as time goes by. Driving in the neighborhood, I usually have to keep it under 3000 rpm otherwise it becomes "noticeable". Anyone else notice an increase in the sound levels?
Chuck, cant speak for the MKII's but my MKI's seem to be louder than when I first made them, I think it is our minds playing tricks.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tippy
Chuck, cant speak for the MKII's but my MKI's seem to be louder than when I first made them, I think it is our minds playing tricks.

It's called old age.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

I didnt think it was that loud after the install yesterday. I guess because I am use to my Mustang with offroad H pipe and Flowmaster dual chamber 40's. LOL!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
It's called old age.
I'm 29, does your mind start to go at this age?

Quick Reply: PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?