Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you run over a body at the 1:10 mark?

Great job on the video. Not exaclty PSE sound but pretty close.

I think it's a rod that runs long the roof behind the sunroof or it's the sunroof. Not sure, but when I hit any bumps thats what happens. I'm still trying to find a fix.

thanks I'm happy for what it cost. I would hope spending 1500 or more would get you a better sound
Old 02-20-2007, 12:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
O.k. So I picked up some 3.6 liter cans yesterday and I'm going to try this mod. I have two questions though: is the consensus that a 2.25 inch bypass pipe is the way to go as oppossed to 2 inches (which is apparently the diamter of a true pse set up)? Second, will my exhaust tips that were on my 3.4 liter cans work on the 3.6 cans? I've heard that the 3.6 tips won't fit the 3.4 liter cans, but want to know if the opposite is true (i.e., whether the 3.4 tips can be fitted on the 3.6 liter cans). Thanks, Ill report my results after I'm through. Scott.
Scott - yes, the tips will fit. I had my 3.6 tips on the 3.4 mufflers for about 8 months, and now they are back on the modded 3.6 mufflers. Both types of mufflers have the same flange connection to hold the tips.

My 3.4L mufflers have a 2" mod pipe. I didn't measure the diameter of the 3.6 mod pipe before I installed the mufflers on the car, but it is at least 2" and could be 2.25" (which is what I originally requested).
Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a great explination of how the stock 996 mufflers work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDbA...elated&search=

Here is a stock versus PSE "before" and "after" comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaP1M...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jaDB...elated&search=
Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 394 Posts

Hey guys, I have one more questions. Both muffler shops I visited today to inquire about this mod said they don't bend stainless steel pipe and that if they did it they would use some sort of "aluminized tubing." My guess is that I shouldn't do that if everyone thus far has used ss. Any comments? Has anyone used anything other than stainless steel for the bypass pipe? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My muffler guy had SS pipes that were already mandrel bent. I suggest going to a different shop. Ask them if they have pipes that are already mandrel bent.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Stick with SS pipes.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 394 Posts

o.k. I just got done calling 8-10 muffler shops in the Phoenix area and not a single one can bend stainless steel pipe. Further, none of them could even recommend a local shop in the Phoenix area that could do it. Now, one or two shops told me the type of material should not in any way affect the sound, and that this would be controlled only by the lenghth and diamter of the pipe. I'm contemplating trying this mod without stainless steel pipe as the whole point of this project was to get it done cheaply. Any other suggestions? Other than the fact that the real pse uses stainless steel, any other reason to stick with ss?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
o.k. I just got done calling 8-10 muffler shops in the Phoenix area and not a single one can bend stainless steel pipe. Further, none of them could even recommend a local shop in the Phoenix area that could do it. Now, one or two shops told me the type of material should not in any way affect the sound, and that this would be controlled only by the lenghth and diamter of the pipe. I'm contemplating trying this mod without stainless steel pipe as the whole point of this project was to get it done cheaply. Any other suggestions? Other than the fact that the real pse uses stainless steel, any other reason to stick with ss?

Just use regular exhaust pipe and put a couple of coats of exhaust paint on the outside,. It will last longer than many other things on your car.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ScottArizona: I just got a set of the 3.6L mufflers off eBay...and fisterD is ordering up the 90 degree stainless in 2.25 inch tubing from Burns. You might give him a PM and he'll give you all the necessary details on how/where to get "the right stuff".

If these turn out anywhere like the folks on Rennlist are saying they sound, I'll may be putting my Schnells up for sale. The downside is that the OEM mufflers are a lot heavier than the Schnells.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
ScottArizona: I just got a set of the 3.6L mufflers off eBay...and fisterD is ordering up the 90 degree stainless in 2.25 inch tubing from Burns. You might give him a PM and he'll give you all the necessary details on how/where to get "the right stuff".

If these turn out anywhere like the folks on Rennlist are saying they sound, I'll may be putting my Schnells up for sale. The downside is that the OEM mufflers are a lot heavier than the Schnells.

Do your Schnell cans drone? What's the reason for you wanting to try the PSE-mod setup?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:14 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No the Schnell's don't drone (resonate) at all. You really don't hear them at all unless you're accelerating...it's just that I thought I'd try something that had a bit more of a throaty sound to it. The Schnell's are actually quite nice and the fitment (installed by SharkWerks) was dead on with no install issues. The Schnells are also a whole lot lighter than a modded 3.6L muffler.

I figure that if I don't like them I can put the Schnells back on....but most of the comments I've heard here are raves about this mod. If I do like them then I will off the Schnells.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yes, Mod done in Toronto to my 2002 996 C4S

Originally Posted by ML
Just curious, has anyone located in or near Toronto done that. Looking for a shop that has done it before.
Yes I have (2002 996 C4S).
I got it done right at Pfaff Porsche.
They have one guy - Mike McCarthy that does this Mod.

They wanted to put in a 1.5" jpipe, however I requested larger,
and they put in 1.75". Mike said that over 1.75" would be too much for the bend
in the SS pipe.

After reading this thread, I would've insisted on the 2" or more.

I also got a print out of Horse Power and Torque before and after, using GTech.

It shows an increase of 16 H.P., and 21 Ft-LBs Torque.

I did the Mod for the sound, so the extra H.P. and extra Torque was
a bonus.

If you are interested let me know, and I will post the graphs they gave me.

Also, hi everybody! - my first post in here.
John

**EDIT: I forgot to mention, I also put in 997S headers (Porsche dealer had an extra pair laying around).
This gives you a better picture in case you are wondering about the HP and Torque gains.
The service manager suggested a GIAC flashed chip if I wanted 4 or 5 more HP, but for the price it's not worth it.

Last edited by JDSStudios; 02-21-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 AM
jlx
Intermediate

JDS welcome.
did they do the mk 1 or mk 2 version ?
having done this mod myself at home I don't get the "over 1.75" is the too much bend stuff". thats just pure bull sh **. Reminds me of the muffler guy that told a member he could only cut out a 1 1/4" hole in the cap.....
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlx
JDS welcome.
did they do the mk 1 or mk 2 version ?
having done this mod myself at home I don't get the "over 1.75" is the too much bend stuff". thats just pure bull sh **. Reminds me of the muffler guy that told a member he could only cut out a 1 1/4" hole in the cap.....
Thanks.
This was mk 2.
I did read somewhere in this thread about someone else having a problem
in properly bending a larger than 1.5" (in this particular case) SS pipe.

Mike also mentioned it would be harder to fit in
due to space - I also don't know why they would have a problem with
2" or larger, however they sounded genuine and trustworthy individuals.

I really love the sound, specially when the vario cam opens
at around 4000 RPM. However, I would love it louder (not too loud)

If below 4000 RPM, it is just deper, and slightly louder than
the stock volume, which is ideal for the neighborhood and cops.

Oh and did I mention that I love how the sound opens beyond 4k?
John
Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 AM
ML
Instructor

John:

Welcome and thanks for the info. Can I dare ask how much the dealer charged you?

Quick Reply: PSE Modded 3.6 Mufflers - how close in sound to a real PSE?