TechArt rubbing issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TechArt rubbing issues!

Hey,

I'm having some rubbing issues with my 295/35 ZR18 Michelin Pilot sports mounted on my rear TechArt 10,5" rims, I think the guy before me bought the wrong offset wheels or something..

Plus the Michelin Pilot Sport seems to have some sort of a outer lip that protects the rim and that makes it look a bit ugly and also adds even more to the rubbing issue..

I'm ordering new rear tires today and I wanted to see if anyone have some input on this issue? I was thinking of going with 295/30, that makes the tire 2.8cm lower (1.4cm upwards of course), that should be enough to solve the problem right? Or do I need to go down to 285/30 instead since the wheels sticks out a bit?

My car is a Carrera 4 -04 with the X74 package!

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

bump

Anyone?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Seriously? Cool your jets. People will respond if you let them. But bumping a thread wanting instant gratification will more than likely keep you from getting any input. 2.5 hours is not very long especially during the peak of the work day.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Seriously? Cool your jets. People will respond if you let them. But bumping a thread wanting instant gratification will more than likely keep you from getting any input. 2.5 hours is not very long especially during the peak of the work day.
His anxiousness belies his screen name, don’t you think?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Sorry, I'm about to order them online ASAP that's why I'm rushing... I think I have the more aggresive offset, don't you think? Anyone?

PS. I'm from Sweden, here it is night DS.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Before you order, it would help if you could supply us with a little more info. Where is the tire rubbing, inside or outside? If the offset on the wheels is wrong, then dropping down a size or two may (or may not) fix the problem. Do you know the offset on 10.5" TechArt wheels? I am not that familiar with the C4. Is it a "wide body" like the C4S?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Tim,

It is a narrowbody C4, same as yours, I've taken pics now, how do I attach them?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Pics...
Attached Images    
Old 03-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Now help me!!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry but those wheels are the WRONG offset. Getting narrow tires is NOT going to fix it. Those wheels look like they belong on a wide body.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry for the delay, but I had to stop and eat.

Ok - Your offsets are way wrong! Just looking at your pics I am "estimating" that the rim of the wheel is protruding about 1/2" (or more) outside the lip of your fender. Dropping down in tire size will not help much, because the wheel will still protrude and so will the tire. There was another thread here l(ink below) recently where someone bought some new wheels and the rear offset number was too low for his car. He dropped down in tire size and now he thinks the tires look "stretched." The rim of the wheel extends beyond the tire (See post #56, top right pic). I suggest you read the entire thread because I think you are in the same situation as a couple of guys in the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/256724-upgraded-to-19-s-thanks-tim-question-though.html

I am not certain how much you know about wheel offset, but I'll give you some links and a little info to help. If you already know all of this stuff, then I apologize.

First, here is an offset calculator. http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Below is the info I wrote in post #33 of the first link. Since I don't know the exact offset for your rear wheels, the example below assumes 52mm.

On the Offset Calculator site, set the current at 10" width and 65 mm offset (OEM for most narrow body 996's). Then the new size at 10" width (I know, you have 10.5", that is the next step) and 52 mm offset.. You will see the additional "gain" on the face (outside) of the wheel is 13 mm. Now change the new rim width to 10.5" and keep the 52mm. Now the additional "gain" on the face (outside) of the wheel is 19 mm. Half of the additional 1/2" moves to the outside, compounding the reduction in the offset from 65 to 52. FYI, 26.1mm = 1", so 19mm is about 3/4" or so. Ultimately, you are going to have to find out the exact offset on your current wheels.

The bottom line is that if you want to fix this long term and correctly, you are going to have to get new rear wheels. Either get 10.5" wheels with MORE offset than your current wheels (probably not less than 58mm) or get 10" wheels with 65mm (or 58mm minimum).

I hope this helps. Reply here or PM me if you have any questions. BTW, what's your first name?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Sorry for the delay, but I had to stop and eat.

Ok - Your offsets are way wrong! Just looking at your pics I am "estimating" that the rim of the wheel is protruding about 1/2" (or more) outside the lip of your fender. Dropping down in tire size will not help much, because the wheel will still protrude and so will the tire. There was another thread here l(ink below) recently where someone bought some new wheels and the rear offset number was too low for his car. He dropped down in tire size and now he thinks the tires look "stretched." The rim of the wheel extends beyond the tire (See post #56, top right pic). I suggest you read the entire thread because I think you are in the same situation as a couple of guys in the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256724

I am not certain how much you know about wheel offset, but I'll give you some links and a little info to help. If you already know all of this stuff, then I apologize.

First, here is an offset calculator. http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Below is the info I wrote in post #33 of the first link. Since I don't know the exact offset for your rear wheels, the example below assumes 52mm.

On the Offset Calculator site, set the current at 10" width and 65 mm offset (OEM for most narrow body 996's). Then the new size at 10" width (I know, you have 10.5", that is the next step) and 52 mm offset.. You will see the additional "gain" on the face (outside) of the wheel is 13 mm. Now change the new rim width to 10.5" and keep the 52mm. Now the additional "gain" on the face (outside) of the wheel is 19 mm. Half of the additional 1/2" moves to the outside, compounding the reduction in the offset from 65 to 52. FYI, 26.1mm = 1", so 19mm is about 3/4" or so. Ultimately, you are going to have to find out the exact offset on your current wheels.

The bottom line is that if you want to fix this long term and correctly, you are going to have to get new rear wheels. Either get 10.5" wheels with MORE offset than your current wheels (probably not less than 58mm) or get 10" wheels with 65mm (or 58mm minimum).

I hope this helps. Reply here or PM me if you have any questions. BTW, what's your first name?
Tim,

Thanks for your excellent post and all your help!

I must have the TechArt 10,5 18"s with the 42mm offset that's listed in their parts catalog found at www.cecwheels.com

The pics I showed you fools the eye a bit, the Michelin 295/35 looks like a damn ballon tire IRL, my car is lowered with the X74 and hardly rubs at all when I'm alone in the car, I'm almost fully convinced that going from a 295/35 to a 285/30 (it makes the tire height go from 663mm to 635mm, that's 1,4cm up and 1,4cm down of more space!) will solve the problem once and for all, at least I pray it does, I don't want any more headaches

Arling from Lucent Motor told me that a 285/30 and some more negative camber should fix it easily. They've done it to several cars he stated..

What do you think?

Once again, thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sorry but those wheels are the WRONG offset. Getting narrow tires is NOT going to fix it. Those wheels look like they belong on a wide body.
LVDell,

I think it's wrong of you to say it is the wrong rim since it is offered and recommended by TechArt for the 996 C4 narrowbody, also, it is way to small for a Turbo/GT2 since that car is wider and would need a giant 20mm spacer at least to make them look halfgood..

Thanks anyway for your time though, even though you often are a bit negative in your posts
Old 03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Now I'm really sad and officialy screwed, just went out to the garage to take a final look before ordering my 285/30's thinking they will be much better than my 295/35's.. WRONG! I allready have the 30's

Now what? Can I machine of some of the rim? Will going to 285/30 help? The Michelin has such a "fat lip" protecting the rim, looks ugly to, my previous Yokohama AVS Sports had flush tire sides, so does almost any other tire except the Pilot Sports, maybe this adds to the problem? Is there any danger to having one brand up front and another at rear?

Damn TechArt for making one offset tooo agressive and one tooo girly

Please, help?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:59 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This may help. I am not sure how much metal is on the inside of those wheels but you may be able to get them machined . The offset is way way too much, and I don't think there is enough metal to get what you need. I would offer to buy them but the offset is wrong! Too bad those would go nicely in my collection.

Quick Reply: TechArt rubbing issues!