TechArt rubbing issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:15 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Tim, you are a true tribute to this community and this board, thank you again!

I have no other choice than to order the 285/30, I cross my fingers that it will work since it shouldn't be more than 5mm that stick out of the tire as it is now and it also gets 2mm lower upwards, then maybe some more camber..

If that doesn't work I will have to machine of maybe 3-4mm of the rim or simply drive the car to a junkyard

Is fender rolling good and won't it harm the rigidity of the rear fenders? Any pics of it?

Damn, I hate problems like this, they make car ownership so much less fun

Once again, thank you so much!
Thank you for the kind words, and you are welcome! I have never rolled the fenders in any of my cars, but I would guess that the rigidity of the fenders could (or would) be compromised to a degree. How much more flex they would have, I don't know. Since I have never done this, I don't have any pics of rolled fenders.

Make sure you let me know how you make out with the 285/30 tires. I would really like to see some "before" and "after" pics.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Thank you for the kind words, and you are welcome! I have never rolled the fenders in any of my cars, but I would guess that the rigidity of the fenders could (or would) be compromised to a degree. How much more flex they would have, I don't know. Since I have never done this, I don't have any pics of rolled fenders.
IMO, I think that concern is a bit silly. Im not sure if you know what rolling fenders does, but all our fenders have a small lip on the bottom, and it basically just bends that up flat, it doesnt touch the "vertical" section of the fender at all. Furthermore though, even if your fender was less rigid, how do you really think that would play out on your car, seeing as it isnt anything structural. Besides the aerodynamic effects, I think you could drive your car without a fender and not notice any less stiffness.

-Mark
Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 PM
996 Jammy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan @ vivid recommended the set up, not iforged, who said dan shouldn't have recommended that tire size for a 10.5 wheel. If i was going with a 295, i shouldve gone up to an 11. Lesson learned to never buy from Dan again as he isn't as knowledgeable as he says he is on all things porsche.

Would i prefer them to be cherry and fit/look perfect?! absolutely, but i can live with this setup for now.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hate to say it James but you got bad advice. That is an issue I would definitely take up with Dan. He seems to be a pretty stand up guy and should remedy the situation.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
996 Jammy
Instructor

Thats what i thought, till he said there's nothing wrong with them and forced my cousin to return those kinesis wheels via Amex dispute.

Stand up guy? I beg to differ.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by lowside67
IMO, I think that concern is a bit silly. Im not sure if you know what rolling fenders does, but all our fenders have a small lip on the bottom, and it basically just bends that up flat, it doesnt touch the "vertical" section of the fender at all. Furthermore though, even if your fender was less rigid, how do you really think that would play out on your car, seeing as it isnt anything structural. Besides the aerodynamic effects, I think you could drive your car without a fender and not notice any less stiffness.

-Mark
Mark,

I understand, however, that is the absolute last option for me, I'd rather machine of 3-4mm of the rim before touching the car, ordered 285/30's today, holding my thumbs and pray to God that it will work, otherwise I'm and trashing the car

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911

Make sure you let me know how you make out with the 285/30 tires. I would really like to see some "before" and "after" pics.
Tim, the kind words are deserved x10 If you were in Sweden I would buy you a

I certainly will let you know how it works out, I have no other choice to this day than to order and try out the 285's

Once again, thank you for all your time and help!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 996 Jammy
Thats what i thought, till he said there's nothing wrong with them and forced my cousin to return those kinesis wheels via Amex dispute.

Stand up guy? I beg to differ.
Well that sucks. Like I said he "seems" to be a stand up guy. But actual customers words are more powerful than an observer like myself since I haven't purchased anything from him.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

How important was it to run 4 exact same brand tires on a C4 996? The Pilot Sport PS2 I have only comes in 295 wide, now I have no other choice than to buy another set of rear tires that will not match the front Maybe I should just go with some Pirellis or Yokohamas, they don't have that stupid fat lip on the side of the tire to protect the rim neither...

Any input wheter this is dangerous or not?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Slowpoke......opinions will differ greatly on this topic but the bottom line is that Porsche states that you need to have the same tires all around on the 4WD cars because of the nature of how the 4WD system operates. On a 2WD it is ok though not recommended.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Slowpoke......opinions will differ greatly on this topic but the bottom line is that Porsche states that you need to have the same tires all around on the 4WD cars because of the nature of how the 4WD system operates. On a 2WD it is ok though not recommended.
OK, and if you give me your opinion? And others here? I have heard stories of people getting problems due to not haveing same brand tires all around, I have heard stories about people having problems although they've had the same brand but wider in the rear and and I've heard stories that having more tire thread in the front or rear can cause problems, seems a bit far-fetched...?

Input? Thanks for your time!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Personally I would NOT have different tires in the front vs. back on a 4WD. As well, I would make sure that I am within a safe and tolerable variance when changing tire size as well. For example, less than a 2-3% variance from the orignial tire size that came on the car is acceptable. Personally I would try to get closer to a value less than 1%. All too often you get people that get a higher sidewall to fill in the fender yet have no idea the havoc they can bring upon the cars normal characteristics suc as braking, traction control, etc.

Here is a tire calculator that will allow you to put in the factory spec that is made for your car and then you can experiment with new sizes to see what the variance is and then allow you to find the proper tire dimensions to stay within that tolerance:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Personally I would NOT have different tires in the front vs. back on a 4WD. As well, I would make sure that I am within a safe and tolerable variance when changing tire size as well. For example, less than a 2-3% variance from the orignial tire size that came on the car is acceptable. Personally I would try to get closer to a value less than 1%. All too often you get people that get a higher sidewall to fill in the fender yet have no idea the havoc they can bring upon the cars normal characteristics suc as braking, traction control, etc.

Here is a tire calculator that will allow you to put in the factory spec that is made for your car and then you can experiment with new sizes to see what the variance is and then allow you to find the proper tire dimensions to stay within that tolerance:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Hope this helps.
LVDell,

Arling from Lucent have given me instructions to jack up the car and see exactly where the tire rubs the fender and go from there, will post more after I do this later tonight, stay tuned, if you care

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slowpoke
LVDell,

Arling from Lucent have given me instructions to jack up the car and see exactly where the tire rubs the fender and go from there, will post more after I do this later tonight, stay tuned, if you care

Thanks a lot!
Standing by...........
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
vandereydt
Track Day

Wooow be carefull machining the rims. You might weaken the wheel.
Imho just sell them and buy the proper ones with the correct offset. If you bought them at a dealer I would go there and have a "nice" chat with them

Good luck Ronny

Quick Reply: TechArt rubbing issues!