Sponsored by:

TechArt rubbing issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Slowpoke - 42mm offset? WOW! That's your problem. I agree with Paul (kilrgt) and would NOT attempt to machine the inside of the wheel. I would be concerned about structural integrity.

As for a different tire on the rear, Porsche recommends keeping the same type of tire on both the front annd the rear.

I could not find the "girly" offset you referred to in your post. What was the "girly" offset. You may be better of getting the "girly" offset and adding some spacers, or drop down to a 10" wheel. I have run out of alternatives. Sorry!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Seriously? Cool your jets. People will respond if you let them. But bumping a thread wanting instant gratification will more than likely keep you from getting any input. 2.5 hours is not very long especially during the peak of the work day.
There you go again being the Rennlist police. Nice!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by phwang20
There you go again being the Rennlist police. Nice!
And there you go just confirming what most already know.......loving to just post without anything of worth.

So answer me this.....do you agree that his bump was appropriate after 2 hours? Didn't think so.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slowpoke
LVDell,

I think it's wrong of you to say it is the wrong rim since it is offered and recommended by TechArt for the 996 C4 narrowbody, also, it is way to small for a Turbo/GT2 since that car is wider and would need a giant 20mm spacer at least to make them look halfgood..

Thanks anyway for your time though, even though you often are a bit negative in your posts
Actually if you just look at the picture you posted you would understand why what I (and Tim) have said is that your wheel is NOT the proper size for your car. So, no, it is NOT wrong to say that is the wrong rim. And you really need to understand a bit about wheels before you start posting incorrect info. If you did, you would know that "at least" a 20mm spacer on that wheel you just offered in your pic would stick out on the wide body!

As for your statement about being negative I wil say that you apparently know NOTHING of the input, help, and feedback I give to those that ask for it on this board. Just becasue you can't get your question answered IMMEDIATELY and you feel the need to bump a thread that WILL get answered at some point just proves my point.......you were called out and told to chill to which didn't sit well with you.

If you have a question....post a thread...and sit back and wait for HELP. And if it doesn't come immediately don't DEMAND help. That is the quickest way to keep yourself from receiveing it.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 AM
ericdee
Racer

Default Actually Dell is right.

Originally Posted by Slowpoke
LVDell,

I think it's wrong of you to say it is the wrong rim since it is offered and recommended by TechArt for the 996 C4 narrowbody, also, it is way to small for a Turbo/GT2 since that car is wider and would need a giant 20mm spacer at least to make them look halfgood..

Thanks anyway for your time though, even though you often are a bit negative in your posts

Actually Dell is right.

OK... Here's what I was told about that size offset it's for a Boxster and TechArt did use big *** spacers for the Widebody. I should know I HAVE a set, I think they are 15mm, BTW... does anybody need a set?

The story goes something like this, TechArt made that rim 42mm for a Boxster, than made the C2 offset cast, but when it came to the Widebodies, they didn't want to spend the bread for a new offset cast, so... they used a spacer.

Last edited by ericdee; 03-28-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:22 AM
phwang20
Instructor

And there you go just confirming what most already know.......loving to just post without anything of worth.

So answer me this.....do you agree that his bump was appropriate after 2 hours? Didn't think so.
It was a joke, hence the damn smily face rolling around... uh. On a serious note, where's the hostility coming from? Knowledge? Being part of a online forum for a longer period of time or just posting more insightful information? It's nice that you speak on behalf of everyone here, I had no idea I wasn't saying anything of worth, wow.

Was your second question rhetorical? The answer (not that you apparently care) is who cares if he bumps. Why's it bother you so much? Just answer his question with the wealth of knowledge you obviously have and be on your way. I think you're the one that needs to "chill".
Old 03-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Chris79SC
Intermediate

Why are you thinking of maching them?

Why not sell them and buy the CORRECT wheel for your car?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Slowpoke - 42mm offset? WOW! That's your problem. I agree with Paul (kilrgt) and would NOT attempt to machine the inside of the wheel. I would be concerned about structural integrity.

As for a different tire on the rear, Porsche recommends keeping the same type of tire on both the front annd the rear.

I could not find the "girly" offset you referred to in your post. What was the "girly" offset. You may be better of getting the "girly" offset and adding some spacers, or drop down to a 10" wheel. I have run out of alternatives. Sorry!
Thanks again for your reply!

As I said, there are people running with theese wheels allready on their narrowbody cars so I will NOT sell the rims (who want to but 2 rear rims anyway?) and getting new ones!

TechArt make stheese rims for a reason, the 60mm "girly" offset is no option since I don't want to ride with spacers, they only come in 8,5 or 10,5 so 10" wide is not an option neither.

About the different tire thing, I know it is important since it a 4x4 car, but still, the sizes of the tires is not the same so does it really matter if the brand is?

I think machining of 3-5mm of the rim and going to a 285/30 should solve this problem easily! Or else I'm going

What do you think Tim?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Actually if you just look at the picture you posted you would understand why what I (and Tim) have said is that your wheel is NOT the proper size for your car. So, no, it is NOT wrong to say that is the wrong rim. And you really need to understand a bit about wheels before you start posting incorrect info. If you did, you would know that "at least" a 20mm spacer on that wheel you just offered in your pic would stick out on the wide body
I don't need to look at the pics, I have had cars 10x more extreme than my Porsche, I know that this wheel will work on the 996 with some MINOR mods, maybe tires alone will do it!

My friend has a Turbo and he runs the same offset but 11,5" so NO, they will not stick out!

Other than that, thanks for your time!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by ericdee
Actually Dell is right.

OK... Here's what I was told about that size offset it's for a Boxster and TechArt did use big *** spacers for the Widebody. I should know I HAVE a set, I think they are 15mm, BTW... does anybody need a set?

The story goes something like this, TechArt made that rim 42mm for a Boxster, than made the C2 offset cast, but when it came to the Widebodies, they didn't want to spend the bread for a new offset cast, so... they used a spacer.

EricDee,

I replied to ypur post on 6speed but again,

What tires/mods/rolling do you have on your car? Please please take some pics of it?

Thank you again!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Slowpoke - Here is my take on the whole situation.

1. Your car is a C4 “narrow body”
2. Your car is lowered with the X74 suspension
3. Your rear wheels are 18” x 10.5” with 42mm offset
4. Your rear tires rub on the fender
5. You want to maintain a wider, more aggressive look

OEM rear wheels are 18” x 10” with 65mm offset, which is what I currently have on my car. Your wheels will protrude 29mm MORE than my OEM wheels.

I dropped a “plumb line” from the outside edge of the rear fender and measured the distance between the “plumb line” to the wheel rim at the top of the wheel. That measurement was 18mm. If I added a 17mm spacer, the rim of the rear wheels would still be 1mm INSIDE of the lip of the fender. If I installed your 10.5” wheels (with the 42mm offset) on my car (with no spacers), the rim of the rear wheels would extend 11mm BEYOND the lip of the fender.

The 18” x 10.5” with 60mm offset wheels are the correct wheels for a “narrow body” P-car. If I installed those 10.5” wheels (with the 60mm offset) on my car (with no spacers), the rim of the rear wheels would extend 11mm MORE than the OEM wheels, but would still be 7mm INSIDE the lip of the fender. If I added a 5mm spacer, the rim of the rear wheels would still be 2mm INSIDE of the lip of the fender.

There are two other things to consider 1) the tire bead or “lip” that protrudes to protect the rim (indicated by the yellow in the attached pic) and, 2) the rolled fender lip, which extends inside the fender well (indicated by the red in the attached pic). As near as I could measure it, the bead on my tires is 3mm to 4mm. So the tire extends 3mm to 4mm beyond the rim of the wheel. Because it is slanted, the fender lip was more difficult to measure, but the lip is in the 20mm to 22mm range. That lip extends INSIDE the fender well and I took the measurements noted above from the OUTSIDE of the fender. This, of course, reduces the clearance for the tire by about 20mm. Ultimately, as I see it, you have three options:

Option 1 – You can drop down a tire size and set more negative camber, but, in my opinion, you sill run a strong possibility of having your tires rub.

Option 2 – You could try to “roll” the inner lip of the rear fenders. The rolled fender lips, combined with Option 1, MAY resolve the tire rubbing issue.

Option 3 – You could try to sell your current 42mm offset wheels and get some 60mm offset wheels to replace them.

If I were in your shoes, I would do Option 3 and get the correct wheel offset for the “narrow body” P-car. However, it is not my car and it is not my money so maybe that is easier said than done. Options 1 & 2 are just that… “options.” I am only throwing out other potential solutions and I do not guarantee that they will work. Whatever you choose to do is, ultimately, your choice and your decision. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
996 Jammy
Instructor

Yeah, i was one of the guys on an older post that had an issue with the tire/wheel combo. In my case, 19". Not saying right or wrong, just posting a couple pics to show the difference between the michelin 295/30's to 275/30's. After further research from reputable tire resources, michelins are just taller and more oversized than industry standards.

The first image shows how the car looks on 275's, which i currently have on the car with no rub (not lowered).

Second pic is with the 295's, rubbed.

Keep in mind they're rolling on a +56 offset, recommended by Iforged.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2006, 12:15 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

996 Jammy - That is quite a bit of difference between the tow tire sizes. I'm glad you were able to eliminate the rubbing issue. I have two questions for you. I know that yourhave 19" wheels with 56mm offset, what is your wheel width, 10", 10.5" or 11"? Also, knowing what you know now, if you had to do it all over again, would you still go with the 19" with 56mm offset? Just curious.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I would ask the same questions as Tim. Looking at your first iteration of the wheel (295's) look fantastic together but the offset is all wrong. Maybe there is less rubbing with the 275's but they just don't look right at all on those rims. The 275's look like they barely fit, show too much rim, and slope from the rim inwards.

Not sure I follow the "oversized" by industry standards reference. The size indications on the tire are consistent across ALL tire manufacturers and have to be within a certain degree of variance to claimt he size stamped on the tire. I am afraid NO other tire manufacturer in the same size as your Michelin's will change the fact the wheels are the wrong offset.

My question is why would iForge rec'd a tire/wheel combo that is incorrect?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Slowpoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Slowpoke - Here is my take on the whole situation.

1. Your car is a C4 “narrow body”
2. Your car is lowered with the X74 suspension
3. Your rear wheels are 18” x 10.5” with 42mm offset
4. Your rear tires rub on the fender
5. You want to maintain a wider, more aggressive look

OEM rear wheels are 18” x 10” with 65mm offset, which is what I currently have on my car. Your wheels will protrude 29mm MORE than my OEM wheels.

I dropped a “plumb line” from the outside edge of the rear fender and measured the distance between the “plumb line” to the wheel rim at the top of the wheel. That measurement was 18mm. If I added a 17mm spacer, the rim of the rear wheels would still be 1mm INSIDE of the lip of the fender. If I installed your 10.5” wheels (with the 42mm offset) on my car (with no spacers), the rim of the rear wheels would extend 11mm BEYOND the lip of the fender.

The 18” x 10.5” with 60mm offset wheels are the correct wheels for a “narrow body” P-car. If I installed those 10.5” wheels (with the 60mm offset) on my car (with no spacers), the rim of the rear wheels would extend 11mm MORE than the OEM wheels, but would still be 7mm INSIDE the lip of the fender. If I added a 5mm spacer, the rim of the rear wheels would still be 2mm INSIDE of the lip of the fender.

There are two other things to consider 1) the tire bead or “lip” that protrudes to protect the rim (indicated by the yellow in the attached pic) and, 2) the rolled fender lip, which extends inside the fender well (indicated by the red in the attached pic). As near as I could measure it, the bead on my tires is 3mm to 4mm. So the tire extends 3mm to 4mm beyond the rim of the wheel. Because it is slanted, the fender lip was more difficult to measure, but the lip is in the 20mm to 22mm range. That lip extends INSIDE the fender well and I took the measurements noted above from the OUTSIDE of the fender. This, of course, reduces the clearance for the tire by about 20mm. Ultimately, as I see it, you have three options:

Option 1 – You can drop down a tire size and set more negative camber, but, in my opinion, you sill run a strong possibility of having your tires rub.

Option 2 – You could try to “roll” the inner lip of the rear fenders. The rolled fender lips, combined with Option 1, MAY resolve the tire rubbing issue.

Option 3 – You could try to sell your current 42mm offset wheels and get some 60mm offset wheels to replace them.

If I were in your shoes, I would do Option 3 and get the correct wheel offset for the “narrow body” P-car. However, it is not my car and it is not my money so maybe that is easier said than done. Options 1 & 2 are just that… “options.” I am only throwing out other potential solutions and I do not guarantee that they will work. Whatever you choose to do is, ultimately, your choice and your decision. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck!
Tim, you are a true tribute to this community and this board, thank you again!

I have no other choice than to order the 285/30, I cross my fingers that it will work since it shouldn't be more than 5mm that stick out of the tire as it is now and it also gets 2mm lower upwards, then maybe some more camber..

If that doesn't work I will have to machine of maybe 3-4mm of the rim or simply drive the car to a junkyard

Is fender rolling good and won't it harm the rigidity of the rear fenders? Any pics of it?

Damn, I hate problems like this, they make car ownership so much less fun

Once again, thank you so much!

Quick Reply: TechArt rubbing issues!