Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidmichael
Look for the most/best 911 your budget will allow. You will be pleased
In the 25K range? Not a chance.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you gotta ask.....911 vs 350Z no comparison.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

350z - I had one and traded it in for my first p-car just 3 months ago. For the money, the performance is hard to beat. For a daily driver, it's dirt cheap to maintain - dealer oil filter $5, 5 qts of castrol reg oil $10 and if you trust jiffy lube - $19.95 and you are ready to roll. Downside: the interior was a disappointment; HUGE blindspot on both sides; here in SoCal, 350z & G35 are very popular among the fast & furious crowds, it was extremely annoying to have these kids cutting you off/turning on their blinkers trying to start a race on a daily basis. And mine was 100% stock.

Boxster - I don't have one but I am sure you can find an used one with low mileage and great condition in the $25k-$30k range. However, maintenance will cost more.

996 Carrera - I don't think you can find one in that range. Unless you are willing to get a salvage titled or high mileage or one of those "too good to be true" on ebay
Old 07-22-2005, 04:57 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can look at 964s in that 25-30K price range....very similar to my 993, and I use my 993 as daily transport. I would also highly recommend looking at 968s--have never driven one, but it is a much more unique car than the Boxster and even the 911 [not many produced]...left-field choices can be a lot of fun Please let us know what your decision is, and honestly, these cars are NOT cheap to fix when something goes "boom"...you need to understand that if you are coming over to Porscheland, you should have a few grand ready to drop at any given moment should the need arise...

Good luck on your search!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:40 PM
eddiemou
Advanced

Well said. test drive both then listen to your heart...don't just buy a Pcar because the name.

Originally Posted by LVDell
It is all about what you like when behind the wheel. There are countless times that I walk out into the garage a pick my Z over the 911. Now granted the Z is 24 years old but it is in showroom condition and been in my family since new. Why would I drive it over the 911 so often? Very simple. I love the way it drives and how it feels driving it.....that 81 is a pure rear wheel drift car and extremely fun to drive.

Moral to the story: Go drive the Z, and several Boxsters in your price range (both base and S) on extended test drives.....NOT JUST AROUND THE CORNER. You really need to drive some city miles and highway miles. Then sleep on it after the test drives have been done and the next morning after you WILL know which car you long for more.....go buy that one and enjoy with no regrets.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Moral to the story: Go drive the Z, and several Boxsters in your price range (both base and S) on extended test drives.....NOT JUST AROUND THE CORNER. You really need to drive some city miles and highway miles.
Who is going to let you go on an EXTENDED test drive?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Who is going to let you go on an EXTENDED test drive?
Somebody that wants to sell you a car.

Listen, I'm not talking about several days, but enough time to get a good feel for the car in many different condition. If you can swing the overnight deal (usually only a dealer would do this) then better.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody that wants to sell you a car.
Yeah, I guess....maybe. But I may sell my car soon, and there is no way I am letting anyone take an extended test drive.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 PM
mtb968
Instructor

6 years ago I bought a mint used 968 cab over a new boxter without the slightest regrets. Boxters are nice, but the older boxter couldn't begin to compare to my 968cab. I understand newer boxters are nicer (quality and performance) so it may not apply today. Problem is finding a low mileage 968 in good condition. If you find one, let me know.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:03 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by wilfred
350z - I had one and traded it in for my first p-car just 3 months ago. For the money, the performance is hard to beat. For a daily driver, it's dirt cheap to maintain - dealer oil filter $5, 5 qts of castrol reg oil $10 and if you trust jiffy lube - $19.95 and you are ready to roll. Downside: the interior was a disappointment; HUGE blindspot on both sides; here in SoCal, 350z & G35 are very popular among the fast & furious crowds, it was extremely annoying to have these kids cutting you off/turning on their blinkers trying to start a race on a daily basis. And mine was 100% stock.

Boxster - I don't have one but I am sure you can find an used one with low mileage and great condition in the $25k-$30k range. However, maintenance will cost more.

996 Carrera - I don't think you can find one in that range. Unless you are willing to get a salvage titled or high mileage or one of those "too good to be true" on ebay
OK

If a 996 is not practical at $25k-$30k what about an earlier 911 like a 993 or 964? Is it practical to go even earlier like a 3.2 Carrera? I love all of those cars, I just don't know if they are dependable enough.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 01:09 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by harris
350z or used Porsche?

u are comparing a datsun with a porsche.....

nice......
OK

A little bit of background here. Obviously a 55K Boxster or 75K+ 911 is in a whole differrent league than a 30k 350z.

I have been told that now is an excellant time to buy a used Porsche because the supply and prices are favorable to buyers. I don't know if that's true but wanted to investigate the idea.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 01:18 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Since cost and reliability are the issue, and the top price is $30,000, the best choice is a new 350Z.
I have a Boxster and a tt, and fully understand the costs. You can buy a brand new 350Z for $30,000 tax included and pay next to nothing for years. That will not be true of any used Porsche.
A brand new car will be more reliable than a used car, and will spare you concerns over new tires, pads, and the next service interval. Wait for the Porsche until costs are not as big an issue. A brand new car warranty will get you a perfect car, while all blemishes will remain with the used one. Porsche certified corrects some of these concerns for an additional $1800, but the cosmetics will be what they are.
Your daily transportation is a practical question. Your fun car is emotional. AS
Old 07-23-2005, 01:58 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

It is all about what you like when behind the wheel. There are countless times that I walk out into the garage a pick my Z over the 911. Now granted the Z is 24 years old but it is in showroom condition and been in my family since new. Why would I drive it over the 911 so often? Very simple. I love the way it drives and how it feels driving it.....that 81 is a pure rear wheel drift car and extremely fun to drive.

Moral to the story: Go drive the Z, and several Boxsters in your price range (both base and S) on extended test drives.....NOT JUST AROUND THE CORNER. You really need to drive some city miles and highway miles. Then sleep on it after the test drives have been done and the next morning after you WILL know which car you long for more.....go buy that one and enjoy with no regrets.

Good luck with your decision.
When I was in college I had a 912, and I loved that car. It was lite and when I took it in the hills it stuck like glue. It had no power down low but when it hit the cam it was great.

So I feel like a 911 would have what I liked about that car in a 35 years more advanced interpretation. With more power and ac

I had a fiero 2m6 with the v6 high output motor and ws6 suspension and had alot of fun in that car. I drove it till it fell apart.

It seems to me that a boxster takes that same concept of a 6cyl mid engine and implements it the Porsche way.

I have no doubt that I would be happy in a boxster or 911 I'm just not sure about the dependability - would I be able to get the 10-15k miles a year that I would need as a daily driver.

In checking out the message boards it seems the only problem the 350z has is tire cupping.

In checking out the Porsche boards I have read about more serious problems:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...3&page=1&pp=15

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/210360-wife-s-550-se-boxster-engine-expired.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/213751-if-your-boxster-engine-fails-what-will-you-buy-next.html

I looked at the wrx and tried to get myself psyched up but couldn't. I respect those cars and the similar evo's and srt 4's for what they are. The idea of an ecomomy car with a big engine that's funny looking is OK for the kids but it's not my cup of tea.

The 350z was the closest thing new that I think I could live with.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 02:19 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Since cost and reliability are the issue, and the top price is $30,000, the best choice is a new 350Z.
I have a Boxster and a tt, and fully understand the costs. You can buy a brand new 350Z for $30,000 tax included and pay next to nothing for years. That will not be true of any used Porsche.
A brand new car will be more reliable than a used car, and will spare you concerns over new tires, pads, and the next service interval. Wait for the Porsche until costs are not as big an issue. A brand new car warranty will get you a perfect car, while all blemishes will remain with the used one. Porsche certified corrects some of these concerns for an additional $1800, but the cosmetics will be what they are.
Your daily transportation is a practical question. Your fun car is emotional. AS
Thank you for the input. A Porsche may be to exotic for me.

I don't have a problem with tires/brakes/scheduled maintenance, but a major faliure could be a problem.

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:36 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I bought my 911, I test drove the 350z. Over and over, I kept wondering if I would enjoy the 911 twice as much as I would enjoy the 350z (since it costs approx. twice as much). In the end, I concluded that I wouldn't enjoy the 911 twice as much as the 350z, but I'd probably enjoy it 50%-75% more as I really think the laws of diminshing return apply to these two cars. I also concluded that if I bought a 350z, I'd regret not buying the 911 everytime I saw a 911. Now that I've owned my 911 for a year, I don't regret my decision even though the engineer/financial analysts in me can rationalize the decision. For me, it really was an emotional decision.

Now to answer your question more directly, I think it really depends on your driving preferences.

If you're interested in going to the track and experiencing everything the car has to offer... 1) GET A PORSCHE. Since you're looking for a daily driver and reliability is important, I'd recommend the newest, lowest milage Boxster you can afford. 2) Join PCA and sign up for the next DE event.

If you're not looking to spend time on the track and just want a sporty car that will get you to work on time every day, get a new350z. From what I understand, the Nissan enthusiasts aren't as active as the Porsche guys and don't offer as many track events with instructors that can teach you how to drive YOUR car at the limits so you won't have as many opportunities to go to the track in a structured, controlled learning environment. Yeah, there are independent track organications, but my impression is that the independents aren't as well run/organized and safety focused as the Porsche (and BMW) guys. Additionally, a new car with a warranty poses less risk to your bank account.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by LiveNupe; 07-23-2005 at 03:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 350z or used Porsche?