Sponsored by:

350z or used Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
Just traded the O2C2 for an 04 GT3. Went with a CPO rather then private sale due to CPO. I can't afford to own one of these cars without a warranty
Don't understand that. YOu can spend $80-100K on a car yet can't afford it? The car would still have full warranty anyway and the cost to keep the GT3 up are usually not warranty items (brakes, rotors, tires, etc.).
Old 07-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a pretty long thread but I have to throw this out there for the original poster.......

This weekend I had the opportunity to go against a 350Z, not because I wanted to but because I had to.....

This was Saturday and I was doing my usual 80 on the highway and came up on a 350Z in the fast lane doing about 65, so I proceed to go around him and pass. I noticed when I made my way into the fast lane he was immediately on my *** and made is seem like I "forced" him into the car pool lane... "Whatever".....

Anyhow about a mile or two down the highway this guy waits until were neck and neck (he's still in the carpool (no passengers) and I'm still in the fast lane. He jumps out of the carpool, swerving in front of me where he proceeds to drop it down to a 20-30 MPH, I figured It's Saturday and I have nothing to do so what the hell.... here we go.....

I hop into the next lane, drop it to 2nd gear and punch-it!!! All I have to say is that his head was smaller than his ego by the time I hit 100..... I'm estimating a 15-car spread "at least"......

Sad, sad, sad.......

-Eli
Old 07-25-2005, 12:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

What a jackass that guy was. Slamming on your brakes on the highway is just plain stupid.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:27 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Don't understand that. YOu can spend $80-100K on a car yet can't afford it? The car would still have full warranty anyway and the cost to keep the GT3 up are usually not warranty items (brakes, rotors, tires, etc.).
thats actually what my first thought was!!

my 996 has an upfront cost well within my affordibility range and the ongoing maintenance is a bit higher on the scale but still fine.

A gt3/turbo for my current income level is just a little bit too much upfront but WAY outside what I can justify for on-going costs
Old 07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shark
If you can find a '99 with less than 75k miles for less than $30k, and I think you can, run don't walk to buy it. Remember, this was a $75k car that was very well regarded when it was released. And you would buy it at more than 60% depreciated, genius.

And have you seen these 350Zs? They look like rolling pieces of turd, inside and out. I don't see how the flys can tear themselves away. Keep in mind I don't even own a Porsche (Corvette baby) so I don't have a dog in this fight.
Shark, you are missing the point completely. First off, Depreciation has very little to do with List price of a vehicle. It has to do with supply and demand, and there is a large supply of Boxsters and 996s out there right now, so it's a buyer's market. You could buy a 350Z now and if they are in short supply [Like in the UK], you can almost lose nothing on it after a year. Remember the Mini when it first came out? They were selling over sticker. BMW Z8s have not lost much value.

On the same token, I think a lot of people who have bought these cars secondhand realize that they aren't necessarily cheap to operate, so they toss the car when a major problem comes up, hence some of these really low prices. A 1999 with a leaky RMS and a blown clutch would cost $2500 to set right out of pocket immediately after buying the car. The poster was asking about continuing ownership costs, so it was a valid question. I think the true "genius" is you here buddy, as you don't know WTF you are talking about nor did you read his original question.

With respect to your second comment, I don't particularly like the looks of the 350Z either, but the poster probably does, hence his question about pros and cons one versus the other. Opinion is opinion, just that. Not right or wrong. Oh, and the plural of "fly" is "flies" GENIUS. Take your lame-*** flaming to another board--no one here wants to hear you run your mouth if you aren't contributing to the matter at hand.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Shark
If you can find a '99 with less than 75k miles for less than $30k, and I think you can, run don't walk to buy it. Remember, this was a $75k car that was very well regarded when it was released. And you would buy it at more than 60% depreciated, genius.

And have you seen these 350Zs? They look like rolling pieces of turd, inside and out. I don't see how the flys can tear themselves away. Keep in mind I don't even own a Porsche (Corvette baby) so I don't have a dog in this fight.
Couple points....
1. Buy on PPI/history/etc not price......just look at those inside a budget set forth.
2. Your opinion on the Z is out of line.
3. Why are you on this board soliciting advice about Porsche's if you are a Vette guy?
4. Talk about a turd. You are acting like one with comments like that.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:08 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

When Porsche stopped making the 924,944,968 series, had they introduced the 350Z people would have sung their praises- especially in 1998 or 99. The Z has a bland interior, but the driving dynamics are fine. Porsche doesn't have a better engine than the 350Z V6, the Porsche trans doesn't shift better, and at street speeds, the Z ride and handling are fine. Sub 35K, the Z, WRX STi, and
Evo8 are better choices than a used Porsche for everyday use, if cost is an object. Having said that, I'm the guy who put 4 snows on a 964C4 and drove it to 100,000 miles, and put 4 snows on my ttX50. If you can afford it, Porsches are better. But that's a big if. AS
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW ---> My latest ebay score
These cars are out there, if you're somewhat handy, a 996 can be had for sub $30K.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:39 AM
busaganashi
Intermediate

I've owned several Porsche's. I've always owned German cars. My first was a 2000 Boxster. This was an awesome car. I had it for a year, with absolutely nothing but good times. I upgraded to a 2001 996 C4. Again, perfect car. At the same time my wife upgraded her Audi A6, which was a very high quality car, to a Mercedes M-430. That car was a piece of crap. Anyway, I unfortunately I got laid off and had to downgrade my 996. This was 3 years ago. I'm driving a 1986 911 now, which has 88K miles. I've had to install a new alternator. Other than that I've had absolutely no mechanical problems.

I've got the urge to upgrade now and have been thinking about a 993 or even a 996 or maybe even a Boxster. This last weekend I drove a 2005 35th Anniv. 350Z just to see if I could be happy with it. I've got a friend who works at the dealership so I was able to take my time with it. The interior looked cheaper than my co-worker's little Psion. It drove OK and I think as good as the BMW M3 I drove back in 2001, but just didn't give me the same feeling as any of the Porsche's I've owned.

I think a good condition 1985-1989 911 is the way to go for inexpensive to buy in and from what I've experienced, and heard from others, just as reliable as my wife's Toyota 4Runner.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by busaganashi

I think a good condition 1985-1989 911 is the way to go for inexpensive to buy in and from what I've experienced, and heard from others, just as reliable as my wife's Toyota 4Runner.

The interiors of the pre-996 have really never done it for me.... I know some out there think that the face lift inside was a bad thing but hey we are all intitled to our opinions.....

-Eli
Old 09-01-2005, 07:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I'm the guy who put 4 snows on a 964C4 and drove it to 100,000 miles, and put 4 snows on my ttX50.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

As much as I love Porsches, I'm always concerned about recommending them to potential buyers who have limited budgets, unless they have the skill and the time to do most of their own maintenance. Even if you can buy a Porsche for around $30K, it probably cost at least $75K when it was new, and replacement part prices will be in reflective of a $75K car. Having said that I have two close friends who have 993s that they absolutely love, but they do all of their own maintenance and get most of their parts at bargan prices on ebay.

So if you can do your own maintenance or are friends with a good mechanic who will cut you a break, a Porsche is the easy choice. Otherwise you can't beat the price and dependability of a 350Z.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

It is what it is and a Nissan will never be a Porsche.......
Old 09-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli at Pelican
It is what it is and a Nissan will never be a Porsche.......
Amen!

Scott
Old 09-03-2005, 01:43 PM
faszinated
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents:

The 350Z's get eaten alive at the DE events I attend. I mean destroyed. Just like M3's. No matter how hard the drivers try, they will always be passed by all the Porsches.

Meanwhile, a well driven Boxster can sometimes pass a 911 or two.

On paper, M3's, 350Z's, etc. all look very close to being Porsches, but, at the track, the men get separated from the boys pretty quickly. There is a pretty obvious difference between a Porsche and just about anything else.

IMHO there truly is no substitute.

Quick Reply: 350z or used Porsche?