Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your Boxster engine fails what will you buy next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 AM
poindex30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your Boxster engine fails what will you buy next?

I hate to sound like a pessemist but with the number of the engine failures I read about it would help to be able to tell myself, "well, if my Boxster dies I will buy this 'other' really cool car." The problem is there is no other car I think I can get as excited about.

The Z06 is fast but too big (I could live with it),
The Z4 is not very good looking but easy to work on and of high quality
The S2000 is too small ( I don't think I'd fit in it)
The 350Z is heavy but sounds great, looks good and is relatively inexpensive
968s are very nice

What else is there?

Mickey
Old 07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t dwell on it. My Boxster was bought with amusement park money. It’s like paying for a ride on a roller coaster. Kiss it goodbye. When the ride is over it’s over. If I happen to get my money’s worth with longevity, well, that’s icing on the cake. If it collapses in a puff of smoke I’m inclined to do it again.

I wouldn’t mind having any one of those cars that you mentioned except the ugly Z4. However I analyzed every minute detail and, as the reviews always say, the Boxster S is the thoroughbred. Even the 987 non-S has upped the ante considerably.

I think the power in the sledgehammer Z06 would get old on me, not to mention the styling is shallow and callow in my opinion. The noise and claustrophobia of the S2000 would also wear me out even though it is fantastic on short, pure driving jaunts.

The thorough design of the Boxster never ceases to amaze me. I hate to sound corny and repeat what has been said ad infinitum, but there really is no substitute.

BTW, don’t forget it’s only natural to hear problems around here and be daunted by the blown engines etc. However, given the Boxster’s fairly favorable reliability status I still consider these extreme problems to be low-risk. Also, don’t forget that Corvettes are no reliability bargains, far from it.

Lastly, sez here that if you wind up with an S2000 based on reliability, well, that’s where you belong because you never developed a passion for Porsche and the Boxster to begin with. And as we all know, sports cars are nothing without that passion.

The Boxster rules. Now, stop worrying and love every minute of it.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:08 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I've got the $25-30K then 2003 GT3 3.6L engine + tranny. Otherwise I'll probably ditch the newer cars in favor of an older 911 (race) and/or 356 (road).
Old 07-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You "hate to sound like a pessemist"? Did you read your post title???

Neither of my M96's has failed and none of my friends have experienced an M96 failure. I have never witnessed one failing at a track event and the only failure that is even relatively common in this motor is the dreaded RMS leak (which is not all that big a deal).

Just because you read about some failures on a message board like this one does not mean they are all bad. Pick your head up and drive with confidence! The chance that you'll have a problem is slight (sounds a lot more positive, doesn't it!)

As far as you list goes......I'd keep my Boxster. None of those other cars really excite me.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:34 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

A new engine.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by deliriousga
A new engine.

John's got it right! How about a 3.4 996 swap or a 3.6 if you have E-Gas on yours
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

If it fails, I'll deal with it. What I would put in to REPLACE it would depend on how much it costs to put in something bigger. I do not worry about this. So far, the Boxster has been more reliable than our Honda. Are the other cars you listed error/trouble free? I do get tired of reading all these death and doomsday stories about our cars. That's not so say failures don't happen, but I think people should worry less and enjoy more. Check the recent reliability reports. Porsche is near the top.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Corvette is stupid looking but fun to drive until the thing rattles to pieces.
Z4 is too.....origami-looking for me, so much so that I could never take it seriously.
S2000 just too torque-less to be my daily ride.
350Z way to oriental-looking for me.

I had to think it through, this is the same process I went through years ago when shopping for the Boxster S. I guess I would find a higher output replacement powerplant.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:48 PM
poindex30
Racer

Okay, okay, alright already...

I guess there really is nothing else as exciting as a Porsche (within my price range). I'm not going to worry about. If I ever have to replace the engine I'll get a two year warranty and after two years I'll get a newer Boxster/Cayman/911.

TheStig, What's with Tom Cruise attacking Oprah? How did you do that?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:50 PM
JD986S
Track Day

Lotus Elise would be my replacement for 986S

Quick Reply: If your Boxster engine fails what will you buy next?