Sponsored by:

350z or used Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 04:50 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 350z or used Porsche?

I need to purchase a new car and for new cars the 350z seems like the best fit in my price range.

I am wondering if in the 25 to 30k price range a used porsche boxster or 911 would also work. I don't neccesarily need the newest thing out there but need the car to be reliable for everyday use.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:43 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by ZGarage
I need to purchase a new car and for new cars the 350z seems like the best fit in my price range.

I am wondering if in the 25 to 30k price range a used porsche boxster or 911 would also work. I don't neccesarily need the newest thing out there but need the car to be reliable for everyday use.

What do you guys think?
get a used boxster,

+
it handles better than a 911
cheaper to buy
cheaper to insure
cheaper to run
more luggage space

-
only two seats (not a prob if you are looking at 350z)
less power
does't have the 911 image

You will have difficulty finding a good low mileage 911 for 25-30k, but a boxster should not be an issue
Old 07-22-2005, 08:32 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Here's one thought - If you go the either the Z or the Boxster, Everytime you see a 911 pass by you wish you would have gotten the 911 instead of whatever it is that your driving at that time. Trust me amigo, I know this lesson well. Personally I like both the Z and the Boxster, but nothing is like driving a 911 (996/997), again, it's all relative...... Good Luck..
Old 07-22-2005, 09:07 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
get a used boxster,

+
it handles better than a 911
cheaper to buy
cheaper to insure
cheaper to run
more luggage space

-
only two seats (not a prob if you are looking at 350z)
less power
does't have the 911 image

You will have difficulty finding a good low mileage 911 for 25-30k, but a boxster should not be an issue
OK so if it's a boxster, which one do you reccomend; what year, what engine/trans, any specially good options? And what should I look out for?

I can afford regular maintenance but not a 12k faliure.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 AM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by RJMDAD996
Here's one thought - If you go the either the Z or the Boxster, Everytime you see a 911 pass by you wish you would have gotten the 911 instead of whatever it is that your driving at that time. Trust me amigo, I know this lesson well. Personally I like both the Z and the Boxster, but nothing is like driving a 911 (996/997), again, it's all relative...... Good Luck..
Obviously a 911 would be awsome, but I need to have a low mile or refurbished car for it to be reliable. I don't need the fastest car in town so a base model or a reliable earlier version would be OK. Any reccomendations?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not neccessarily. There are a bunch of 944, 914 guys who don't even want to look at 911. I think same applies to the Boxster.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As a former Boxster owner here are some thoughts.....in the perfect world try to get one with the glass rear window ('02 and newer I think) there are many advantages to it. However if price and options cause you look at the plastic window don't worry because the biggest advantages of the glass is it is easier to take of and less likely to get damaged but the plastic works you just have to be more careful with it.

All Boxsters are very fun to drive. Quick and very nimble feeling (much more so than the 911). Drive both the Boxster and the S version. They have different driving characteristics. The base car actually has better low end torque but loses out on the high rpm HP. Which you like will depend a lot on driving style. There are so many options it is almost impossible to say what is best for you. Much of it is comfort and style.

Personally I think heated seats and the wind deflector (comes in some of the packages also) are important for extending the top down driving season. PSM is a very nice option but rather difficult to find. Most of the options are about personalization so they are up to you.

the MY 00 saw dramatic changes to the interior material used and there was a very noticable increase in power and torque to the base model. Personally I would not get anything older than the 00 becuase of the increase in power and torque because it really improved the around town driving characteristics.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a certain someone has a small ego problem. You sound like the type of owner that gives the rest of us a bad name.

The 911 is a great car and it's better than the Boxster in some ways (mostly power) and worse in others (handling). I own both and I don't feel better or worse when I see any other Porsche.

Back on topic, I would recommend the Boxster. It will fit the price range and has more storage space than the Z. It also handles and looks better than the Z (IMO) and is about 600 lbs lighter. Good luck with your choice!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGarage
OK so if it's a boxster, which one do you reccomend; what year, what engine/trans, any specially good options? And what should I look out for?

I can afford regular maintenance but not a 12k faliure.

Thanks again.
Get a 2000 or later. Have a PPI done by a Porsche mechanic and have your local dealer pull the service history on the car. If you want the extra power look for an "S", however understand that you will be able to find a newer/lower mileage 2.7 in your price range. If you are concerned about a warranty, buy "certified used" from a Porsche dealer.

Good luck...
Old 07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
DC968
Intermediate

As a 968 owner who spent extended periods of time in Boxster loaner cars (1 base '01 and 1 '01 S), they are different cars, but both a lot of fun. If you don't feel like you need the fastest car, I'd go with the newest base model you can afford.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
psychoholica
Intermediate

My friend has a new 350Z and I have a -new to me- 996. While performance wise they stack up very nicely, I still win when we race, not much, his nose is on my tail at 60 but still. The Z looks great on the outside but the inside is very cheap and plasticy if you ask me. I found my 996 with 17k miles for 41k and am very very happy. While i dont have an ego problem there is something nice in knowning your behind a Porsche. if it were me, and it was not to long ago the 996 is the only way to go. Boxsters are nice, but a 911 is nicer.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:21 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

350z or used Porsche?

u are comparing a datsun with a porsche.....

nice......
Old 07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Neighbor
Instructor

I've had a 2006 boxster to drive for the last week (car in shop for various small items) and have completely enjoyed it. The 911 and Boxster (imho) are completely different cars suited to individual fancies. I could see owning both . Although the 987 is the newer version, a used Boxster 02+ should be quite similar in overall driving execution, right. If so, I would highly recommend driving them to see which fits your needs and desires more. A 350Z is nice, I've never spent an extended period of time with it.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It is all about what you like when behind the wheel. There are countless times that I walk out into the garage a pick my Z over the 911. Now granted the Z is 24 years old but it is in showroom condition and been in my family since new. Why would I drive it over the 911 so often? Very simple. I love the way it drives and how it feels driving it.....that 81 is a pure rear wheel drift car and extremely fun to drive.

Moral to the story: Go drive the Z, and several Boxsters in your price range (both base and S) on extended test drives.....NOT JUST AROUND THE CORNER. You really need to drive some city miles and highway miles. Then sleep on it after the test drives have been done and the next morning after you WILL know which car you long for more.....go buy that one and enjoy with no regrets.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Look for the most/best 911 your budget will allow. You will be pleased

Quick Reply: 350z or used Porsche?