996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

350z or used Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:30 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple other factors to consider: After owning my Boxster for 5 years, I've learned to appreciate how gracefully Porsches age. This cannot be said of most other "trendy" body styles. I expect that in another 5 years, my Boxster will still look great, whereas other cars (same age) will look prehistoric. Also, Boxsters right now are dirt cheap. I would imagine that the depreciation on a used Boxster which has already taken a ridicuous depreciation hit would be less than on a new 350Z. Thus, consider your ownership horizon and not just initial purchase price. Finally, I would go for as close to 2000 as possible. There were significant upgrades starting in Y2K. Skip the newer models for either an extended warranty or bank it for that odd chance you might need it. Everybody makes these cars sound like time bombs, but my Boxster has been more reliable than our Honda. The Honda got the extended warranty, not the Boxster. For me, the mid-engine layout is incomparable, but it depends on what kind of roads you have. I just hope some day, Porsche will build a Boxster/Cayman with one of the big 911 motors. That's what it would take to get me out of mine. And do a good PPI. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2005, 04:29 AM
thanatos69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Who is going to let you go on an EXTENDED test drive?
The local dealership in Austin normally just gives you the keys and you're on your own. I've always put at least 10-15 miles on each test drive. Lots of nice winding roads in the Austin area.

-Richard
Old 07-23-2005, 05:21 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Originally Posted by thanatos69
The local dealership in Austin normally just gives you the keys and you're on your own. I've always put at least 10-15 miles on each test drive. Lots of nice winding roads in the Austin area.

-Richard
When I went to UT; we used to rip out on 2222(I think, it's a little hazy) to Lake Travis. That was 20 yrs ago.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:54 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Then a quick dip at Hippie Hollow follwed by cocktails at the Oasis !
Old 07-23-2005, 11:31 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by ZGarage
Thank you for the input. A Porsche may be to exotic for me.

I don't have a problem with tires/brakes/scheduled maintenance, but a major faliure could be a problem.
get an extended warranty

the 350z has a **** quality interior - even worse than my 97 boxster

some people here have a ***** extension thing going on with their 911 - the boxster in isolation is the best in its class by far

AND - with the boxster you have an upgrade path to aspire to

also, i'm actually quite likely to 'downgrade' my 996 to a cayman (boxster coupe)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...n&cardist=1738
Old 07-23-2005, 01:02 PM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
get an extended warranty

the 350z has a **** quality interior - even worse than my 97 boxster

some people here have a ***** extension thing going on with their 911 - the boxster in isolation is the best in its class by far

AND - with the boxster you have an upgrade path to aspire to

also, i'm actually quite likely to 'downgrade' my 996 to a cayman (boxster coupe)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...n&cardist=1738
Thanks for the info, they have some beautiful cars there
Old 07-24-2005, 07:58 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Since cost and reliability are the issue, and the top price is $30,000, the best choice is a new 350Z.
I have a Boxster and a tt, and fully understand the costs. You can buy a brand new 350Z for $30,000 tax included and pay next to nothing for years. That will not be true of any used Porsche.
A brand new car will be more reliable than a used car, and will spare you concerns over new tires, pads, and the next service interval. Wait for the Porsche until costs are not as big an issue. A brand new car warranty will get you a perfect car, while all blemishes will remain with the used one. Porsche certified corrects some of these concerns for an additional $1800, but the cosmetics will be what they are.
Your daily transportation is a practical question. Your fun car is emotional. AS
I think you offer very prudent advice. I have two friends at work who own used Porsches. They both bought high mileage 993s at bargan prices, and they absolutely love their cars. These guys love working on cars and spend many weekends either doing routine maintenance or adding another mod. So for someone who has the mechanical ability and the time, a used Porsche is an awesome car. On the other hand if you have all of the maintenance work done by Porsche mechanics, a used Porsche, especially one that has no warranty, can get to be very expensive.

One last thought. If you buy a Porsche , buy it because you love its handling, style, sound, etc. Don't buy it because you think it'll impress someone. The vast majority of people aren't car enthusiasts, and they couldn't care less what other people drive.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:27 AM
deons
Instructor

Some other options

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...81&cardist=100

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...981&cardist=48
Old 07-24-2005, 10:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

for me, porsche is far better car than 350z. but p cars are also far more $$$ than 350z. forget the purchasing price, alexander stemmer is correct in running costs. if you drive it a lot, you will be eating tires very fast. a cheap set of of 911 tires is 1k. and if there's no warranty, a medium sized mechanical prob will empty your wallet.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 PM
ZGarage
Track Day

beautiful, Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can find a '99 with less than 75k miles for less than $30k, and I think you can, run don't walk to buy it. Remember, this was a $75k car that was very well regarded when it was released. And you would buy it at more than 60% depreciated, genius.

And have you seen these 350Zs? They look like rolling pieces of turd, inside and out. I don't see how the flys can tear themselves away. Keep in mind I don't even own a Porsche (Corvette baby) so I don't have a dog in this fight.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:41 PM
ZGarage
Track Day

Originally Posted by mooty
for me, porsche is far better car than 350z. but p cars are also far more $$$ than 350z. forget the purchasing price, alexander stemmer is correct in running costs. if you drive it a lot, you will be eating tires very fast. a cheap set of of 911 tires is 1k. and if there's no warranty, a medium sized mechanical prob will empty your wallet.
A 350z runs 17/18" tires 225F/245R and many people recommend upgrading them to 245F/275R on 18" or 19". I'm not sure if the tires are going to be that big of a difference compared to a boxster.

What about a low mileage newer boxster like deons mentioned?

"2004 Porsche Boxster, LN, 2400 miles, warranty, standard shift, leather, loaded, $28,500 Tulsa"

Would a low mile boxster be that much more difficult to maintain compared to a Z?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 01:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like AS said, with a 30k ceiling, warranty should rule the day, go with the 350z, sure it's a peice of crap compared to a 996 but your time will come and you can buy yourself a brand new carrera . Older 911's are not for the frugal, they can break and cost a small fortune to fix, a friend recently had his valve guide 993 situation fixed by an independent shop, 7k. Any car you find for 25-30k is going to have the crap beat out of it and you never want to buy somebodies troubles, buy new whenever you can.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:09 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by ZGarage
A 350z runs 17/18" tires 225F/245R and many people recommend upgrading them to 245F/275R on 18" or 19". I'm not sure if the tires are going to be that big of a difference compared to a boxster.

What about a low mileage newer boxster like deons mentioned?

"2004 Porsche Boxster, LN, 2400 miles, warranty, standard shift, leather, loaded, $28,500 Tulsa"

Would a low mile boxster be that much more difficult to maintain compared to a Z?
not more difficult, but only a little more expesive than a BMW

that car in tulsa is nice.

whatever anyone on here says, the boxtser offers 80% of 911 experience for a lot less cash, and if you are a young guy with no ties like kids etc then it could well be a great option.

go to a porsche dealer and take a boxtser for a drive

theres no way I would own a 350z

but i never buy new cars as I like other people to take the depreciation hit

I would ALWAYS prefer to drive a slightly older EXCELLENT car than a new PIECE of CRAP like the 350z.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Just traded the O2C2 for an 04 GT3. Went with a CPO rather then private sale due to CPO. I can't afford to own one of these cars without a warranty!

As the wise ones have said above......consider the warranty!

Quick Reply: 350z or used Porsche?