Sponsored by:

what is PSM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 AM
mc_sahib32
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is PSM?

I know PSM stand for Porsche stability managment, but i want some technical detail of what it does. I need to determine is it a must have option for my search.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

It's a must have if you drive crazy...GT3's don't have it....I don't have it...
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In a simplified explanation, PSM monitors all kinds of driving input from yaw rates, steering wheel inputs, brake inputs, tire slippage, etc. The system is designed cut the throttle and/or administer braking to the appropriate wheels to prevent the car from spinning, losing traction, or basically losing control.

Whether or not it is a must have option is a question only you can answer. You need to look how you drive, what type of driver you are and under what conditions the car is driven. PSM is a very nice drivers aid in adverse weather conditions, however, contrary to what some people say PSM is not necessary for driving in snow. The 911 when equipped with the proper tires and a driver with decent knowledge and experience of winter driving conditions can easily drive a 911 in the snow. However, PSM offers a great safety net for the unexpected. The same can be said of daily driving under any condition. It is not necessary but PSM does offer a nice safety net (likely the reason it is nick named by some Please Save Me) for the unexpected or mistakes.

Track driving is another story. I do not have enough experience or skills with regard to track driving to really comment on PSM’s intrusion or lack thereof. If you plan on tracking the car regularly I am sure there a few skilled drivers here that could give you more guidanc
Old 07-22-2005, 11:13 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

It's another safety item to consider, but it is not a must have in my opinion. I have PSM and I feel more comfortable knowing that given an unexpected situation there is PSM looking over my shoulder to give an extra bit of safety.

PSM is not intrusive on the race track as long as you are smooth.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some acronyms from Karl S:

ABS - PSM controls and uses ABS. ABS remains active, even when the PSM button is turned off.

ABD and ASC - Automatic Brake Differential and Automatic Slip Control. ABD uses the brakes to act as an electronic version of a limited slip differential to keep drive torque going to the rear wheel with grip.

ASC is simply traction control, it closes the throttle if both rear wheels are slipping under acceleration. This could be important in a wet race where you want optimum traction in slippery conditions but is not as critical on the street, where you shouldn't be trying to maximize acceleration when the conditions are slippery.

ABD remains active, even when PSM is turned off.

EDC - Engine Drag-torque Control. This function is basically to counter trailing throttle oversteer which is what you get when you are near the traction limit in a corner and you lift, which begins to rotate the rear of the car. A well trained driver will use this characteristic of the 911 to get the car to turn in for a corner, so having an electronic aid to counter it is not always desirable. Of course, this feature can be turned off via the PSM button.

DDC - Driving Dynamics Control. Basically this system detects understeer or oversteer conditions and selectively brakes the appropriate wheel to counter the unwanted condition. DDC will also retard the throttle if you are badly out of shape and it can not correct by just using the brakes.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 PM
mc_sahib32
Advanced

other then the option label, how can you tell the car has PSM? is there any switch or light on the dash?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The top rocker switch on the left column of switches on the center consol stack will say PSM OFF on it along with having a spot for a light to light up on the switch.

Last edited by bet; 07-22-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:51 PM
eddiemou
Advanced

PSM = Nanny System

better to have it so you can turn it off when you want. I don't have it...
Old 07-22-2005, 06:07 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I don' need no steenkeen' PSM (don't have one either)
Old 07-22-2005, 08:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
PSM = Please Save Me
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzkirb
It's a must have if you drive crazy...GT3's don't have it....I don't have it...
Kirby, would PSM have saved you from this ?
Kirby Spins
Old 07-23-2005, 09:53 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I had it on my C2 and it saved my bacon a number of times. As this was my first P-car my experience driving with PSM allowed me to get to the point where it never interfered. I was much smoother and I now better understood what the car could/would do!

I just got a GT3 and it does not have PSM. I gonna hafta be smooth and drive within my, and the car's, limits! My limits are considerably less then the GT3s!!

I would order it again. After all....you can turn it off if you have one. You can't turn one on if you don't!!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:25 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
PSM = Please Save Me
Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it only saves you one time, it's worth it.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

on normal road i'm all for it - on the track it sucks - interfering when you are counter steering very near the limit or left foot braking. i kill it on the track except in the wet where it works pretty well actually.
In the 99' it is totally defeat-able in the throttle by wire cars it is not (reactivates when you touch the brake, as it did in my 01 boxster).
everybody drives different and in 95% of the cases it'll save your butt - & worth having.
my 2 cents..

Quick Reply: what is PSM?