Sponsored by:

Track pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 AM
rxt27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track pics

Last weekend was my first track weekend with the Porsche. I had done about 15 track days with my previous ride, S54 BMW M Coupe, which I just sold last friday (man will I miss that car ). I am very pleased with the Porsche. I am surprised by how well behaved the car is on the limit (I have heard horror stories of 911s, probably this applies more to older cars), even with PSM off. Compared with the M coupe with coilovers and slicks, I thought the C4S is easier to drive on the limit. I have stock tires and suspension, that is probably the reason why it was so forgiving. BTW, this was in Thunderhill.

Richard
Attached Images     
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Great! I love seeing 996 owners taking their cars to the track. If I were you, I would consider getting the 3M clear bra for your car, and have it installed over your headlights. That way, you will not have to waste any of your time taping your car up (and removing it) on track days.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

The C4S is a wonderful track car, particularly for the learning driver. Vey forgiving with mistakes, but very rewarding when driven well. I've been tracking mine since I bought it new 3 years ago, and the car and I have matured together. Give it a few more track runs, and you won't miss that M3 coupe at all.

The blue tape is cute, but totally unnecessary. Stone chips and what-not occur on the highways to and from the track, not on the track. Unless you follow somebody into the dirt. Stoneguard tape/clear bra is a matter of preference/taste, but you don't really need it for track use. Personally, it reminds me of putting plastic over a sofa.

Iv'e never been to Thunderhill, but I hear it's a great track. Just the name makes me want to go there. Thunderhill. Great name.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:57 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Palting
Personally, it reminds me of putting plastic over a sofa.
Just what the hell is wrong with plastic covered couches? Seriously though, the plastic bra has saved me numerous chips -- maybe I just ride the tails of others more than you?

In any event, I am counting the days until Mid-Ohio and watching the Mid-Ohio School tape incessently . . .

P.S. The pic in my signature shows my car with the invisible bra, which truly is invisible.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Palting...that is the WORST analogy you could make. You missed the mark big time.

Let me help you out with you analogy: A clearbra is like scotch guard on a couch. One of those cheap vinyl bra's would be the analogy you were going for.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

LOL!!! Apologies if I hit a nerve . I know a lot of you do the clear bra bit, That's why I prefaced my statement with "matter of preference" and ended it with "Personally,....".

Anyway, the statement I want to go down is that you don't need stone chip protection for track use. Stone chips occur mostly on the highways.

C'mon, guys. Just stating what I think. I know it can get me in trouble, though. Like, hey, what's with the folded taco rear wing I see in a lot of 996's? Is it to distract your attention from the plastic cover on the bumper? Uh-oh, I guess now I'm dead.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Oh Palting, you are quite the comedian

No nerve hit, just helping you out with your analogy skills.

You are right though, clearbra's are like tyres and exhaust notes.....everybody has a personal preference.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Humor keeps us healthy. Hey, I just fully read TD's note. Maybe I get less stone chips 'cuz I'm always leading?

To get it back on the topic, great pics, Richard. What year is your C4S? And does that orange square on the bumper denote your run-group?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Palting
Humor keeps us healthy. Hey, I just fully read TD's note. Maybe I get less stone chips 'cuz I'm always leading?
Oh, so you are one of those guys who drives slowly through the corners and uses horsepower on the straights to keep everyone behind you. LEARN THE POINTBY!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Looking for some historical clarification:

Why the point-by and not the one-click turn signal to indicate passing side? We have the point-by as well out here in Vegas and I hate it! Can't stand to take my hands off the wheel for that. Wouldn't it be easier to just reach your index finger forward and inch and quick signal as most of the world does it?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Naaah, the C4S is the car that usually rotates so well around a corner 'cuz it's weight is not all on top like a Targa . The HP for the straight is just a bonus for getting further away from the others. I usually don't need to give a point by. I can see how you are probably well experienced with it, though

Interesting about the turn signal point by. I've had a few do that. Obvious what they meant, but that wasn't in the rules. It certainly would be a better way to do it since, as you say, you don't have to take your hand off the wheel.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I use a vinyl bra on mine for track days, by the time I thought about it, I already had a few zings in the nose so for me a clear bra was a waste.
The PDE at Barber uses turn signals just so you don't trake your hand off the wheel.
Just did Limerock, my next will probably be Watkins' Glen. See you there!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:41 PM
rxt27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 2003. The orange square denotes that I am new to Golden Gate Region PCA events. The yellow sticker on the top right windshield denotes my run group. Actually, I already do have VentureShield clear bra on the car The club requires me to use the tape as well, I don't know why Yes Thunderhill is a blast. It is one of the most fun track I have been (I have been to Nelson Ledges, Mid-Ohio, BeaveRun, Putnam Park, Laguna Seca in the M Coupe) This was my second time in Thunderhill.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Don't forget your brake points and go into a turn too fast!

Thunderhill Turn 8...which isn't really a turn...more like a bend.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:57 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Kirby,

That is a great sequence of photos! At least you kept 4 wheels on and nobobdy was behind you!

TD

Quick Reply: Track pics