Sponsored by:

what is PSM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:21 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For the street, PSM is a no-brainer IMHO. Get it if you can find a car with it. It's cheap insurance. PSM can do things that you can't like brake wheels independently and rapidly retard throttle. It'll react faster and regain composure of the car before you can say, "OH SHEET!" and that's a good thing when it's 2 am and you're cruising home in drizzle and some moe-foe suddenly pulls out in front of you.

PSM learns as you go. Drive like an idiot and it reels you in. Drive smooth and it gives you more rope. I track my cab with it and find that PSM is just fine. It allows a fair amount of slide before stepping in... and that's with it turned "on". Defeat it and you get even more slack, but it will try and save you, even if it's turned off, when you're totally out of control.

If you're a track hound and are into 4 wheel drifting and full counter steer under hard throttle then PSM isn't for you. Otherwise, I think it's a great system.

Contrary to CupCar#12's comment, I left foot brake in my cab without any issues (throttle retardation).

Cheers
Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
In the 99' it is totally defeat-able in the throttle by wire cars it is not (reactivates when you touch the brake, as it did in my 01 boxster).
PSM was only available in the C4 (which was an e-gas car) in 1999. Traction Control (not PSM) was available in the C2's (which did not have e-gas) in 99.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are correct, my goof - i have traction control not PSM and it is totally defeat-able

Quick Reply: what is PSM?