Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005 | 01:10 PM
StanSoph
Racer

M. Rider, I PM'd you.
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:11 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Hey. I just put in the OC. I didn't hear much difference... and wasn't looking for anything else, but DAMN if I don't feel better throttle response at low RPM. Even the dead spot I've been hating at the bottom of 2nd gear at WOT is gone.

Thanks Jim!
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:35 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default It is doubtful that the cap will get sucked into the engine

Why?

Because if it did become dislodged and sucked into the intake, it would get stuck in the throttle butterfuly valve before it went into the intake manifold. it is also too big to fit down one of the runner tubes. Where the cap is in the airbox, it is not hot enough to melt the cap, and it is assumed that the cap was inspected for tears or holes before it was installed.

But never say never, I would think that one of you reading this will figure out how to get one stuck in the engine
Old 06-09-2005 | 02:51 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leedav
Hey. I just put in the OC. I didn't hear much difference... and wasn't looking for anything else, but DAMN if I don't feel better throttle response at low RPM. Even the dead spot I've been hating at the bottom of 2nd gear at WOT is gone.

Thanks Jim!
I think you pretty much need to go WOT to really hear it, but with the system you have which screams real nice already...I'm not sure you'll hear much difference. Interesting on T/Response however, you are the second or third person who has said that.
Old 06-09-2005 | 03:58 AM
krisd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midnight Rider
Bumps it up to a current post on the forum. Also it means will anyone frickin answer the question???!!!! Thus again, So based on poster "ubergeek's" findings (when the airbox was taken apart) THE CAP WILL OR WILL NOT BE SUCKED INTO THE ENGINE IF IT COMES LOOSE??
The Gatorade cap does not have the same lip as the orange cap, so it would be more likely to get sucked in. I installed the cap a month or so ago and only noticed a small difference in sound. I thought it would change the sound alot more with the PSE switched off, but still didn't sound that much different. Still not sure which sound I prefer better. I am not really worried about it getting sucked in based on how it fit in the hole. It seems like the lip gets compressed between the air box and the pipe, which should make it much more solid.

Kris
Old 06-09-2005 | 10:41 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I think you pretty much need to go WOT to really hear it, but with the system you have which screams real nice already...I'm not sure you'll hear much difference. Interesting on T/Response however, you are the second or third person who has said that.
Makes sense to me I guess. There is less air that requires a velocity change when you open the throttle. And I'll reiterate, it was the last thing I was looking for. I travel the same route every day at the same speeds and experience the same response from the car. This was clearly different.
Old 10-07-2013 | 01:25 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting a very old thread. Anyone happen to have an orange cap laying around, or know of a replacement that will work? Please email me if you do.

Thanks,
Chris
hbchristopher@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2013 | 08:04 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Wercking/Junk yards use these to store removed engines all the time. Go to your nearest one and ask them, they will probably give one for free.
Old 10-07-2013 | 05:32 PM
uberskier
Pro

Or you can check out this thread for other options: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...cap-mod-3.html
Old 10-07-2013 | 07:01 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

A 1-1/2" pipe cap works great for sealing the airbox and taking the Hemholtz resonator out of the circuit, but really more for use in conjunction with an silicon intake hose... The silicon hoses can be had inexpensively on eBay.

Love the intake sound!

Old 10-07-2013 | 08:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by pfbz
A 1-1/2" pipe cap works great for sealing the airbox and taking the Hemholtz resonator out of the circuit, but really more for use in conjunction with an silicon intake hose... The silicon hoses can be had inexpensively on eBay.

Love the intake sound!

If you get an aftermarket intake silicone hose, technically you don't even need to put a cap on at all since the resonator chamber is already sealed from the rest of the air box. The cap is more or less used to keep stuff out of the chamber.

The Fabspeed version actually has a cap assembly to fully replace the stock resonator chamber to gain additional interior Airbox volume.
Old 10-07-2013 | 08:16 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Just ordered a black silicone hose off ebay for $20, too bad its shipping from China and is going to take two weeks to get here. I'm so impatient once I get an idea in my head...

Planning to cap the helmholtz resonator with one of these (recommended on another thread):
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3674853
Old 10-08-2013 | 02:11 AM
JETninja
AutoX

If you know what length/Diameter/Bend Silicone tube you need, these guys are great. I've bought several for my M3 over the years.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Old 10-08-2013 | 08:55 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

I bought hose and cap off eBay and have to say for $50 love the combined sound of my x51 with orange cap mod and FisterD mufflers over 5k rpm
Old 10-12-2013 | 11:21 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Got my hose off eBay for $20 and a cap from Home Depot for $8, sounds great combined with the gundo hack. Gives it just that extra bit of growl, now I'm very happy with the exhaust sound.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Orange Cap Users