Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm

What color is the smoke?

White smoke = water vapor
Blue smoke = oil burn
black smoke = fuel burn

So which color is it?

I would think a over rev would cause valve damage. A would not leak down test show valve damage?

I look at it this way. Valve damage + Over-rev indication in the DME = driver over rev = busted valves = driver errror not PCNA.

If the valves are fine, but it is just burning oil (valves good).. then what frig does overreving do? Should be nothing!
If there is oil in the heads well.. That is Porsche's problem as oil should not go into the heads no matter how hard you drive it.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Tool Pants, Do you think a on track downshift 4-3 at a corner would trigger a type 2.? I remember that happening to me at the track, but didn't go above 8k.
BTW, a computer wiz I know erased his DME on a sl55, so I bet it could be done on the P unit as well.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Alexander, you are right on....If i'de have known they will use my PCA club events against me!
They are not using PCA Club events against you, merely working to avoid the application of a mechanical/driveline overrev, which puts any engine outside its design limits.

I would have purchased an old 911 and fixed it up and beat the crap out of it for far less than 80k
Beating the crap out of any car in this manner will result in engine damage, Porsche or not. There is no need to abuse any Porsche in this manner, new or old.

The new Porsche's are basically highly engineered grocery getters in Porsche's eyes now. Sad but true.
I disagree. The car is doing exactly what you are telling it to do by screwing the pooch on a downshift. From Porsche's perspective, one could argue that the cars are, in some cases, being driven by individuals who have yet to learn proper shifting (up AND down).

If you track a new Porsche, be ready for the repair bill if Porsche wakes up on the wrong side of the bed!
Porsche has no problems with tracking your car, as long as it is done properly. The inclusion of a Type 1&2 overrev counter merely assists them in determining the stresses applied to the car. If anything, they have been fairly consistent in this regard; something quite different from a 'waking up on the wrong side of the bed' business position.

I still love my new car but will miss the autocross events!
You should still enjoy your car at any PCA driving event. Perhaps a DE would be an avenue to explore.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The type 1 overrev is BS. If the engine can't handle that RPM then they should lower the rev limit!!

If you have a type 2 overrev and the valves are not damaged, then why would that make a difference?

These are all just excuses for the dealers and Porsche to not have to put money out to fix problems. They are no longer the same company and everything is about profit now.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
Porsche has no problems with tracking your car, as long as it is done properly.

Not true!! My dealer raised hell about me taking the car to even 1 PCA DE and say that it technically voids my warranty!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Tool Pants, Do you think a on track downshift 4-3 at a corner would trigger a type 2.? I remember that happening to me at the track, but didn't go above 8k.
BTW, a computer wiz I know erased his DME on a sl55, so I bet it could be done on the P unit as well.
To get into range 2 it has to be a high rpm. The mechanics I have asked do not know the threshold and in all the technical publications I have read I have never seen a published number. I'm sure they know the number in Atlanta and Germany.

There are cars with range 2 and they run fine. We had a tech seesion and about 12 cars were hooked up to a PST2 and it was interesting. One guy claimed he never missed a shift but when confronted with the range 2 reading for his car he confessed.

There is no function on a PST2 to erase range 1 or 2, but I'm sure there would be a market for suck a service if the computer wiz could figure out how to do it on a Porsche.

This information is stored in the DME. If the engine is replaced the DME is not reset to zero. It picks up from where the original engine left off.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Darren,
I am curious, on what basis did your dealer make this statement of fact?

If the dealer said that failure to change the oil, wash the car, etc voided the warranty, would they be making a (legally) correct claim?

For better or for worse, there are laws governing warranty and refusal thereof. Just because a dealer said so doesn't appear to meet any minimum standard.
There are different laws/standards regarding auto insurance, but that is a topic for another day.

If you chose to take your new car to the track, wear out a set of pads in a weekend, return to the dealer and demand new pads to replace the 'obiviously faulty worn in one weekend ones', you would not be covered (as is the case for most all consumables).
If you go to the track, never hit either rev limiter/counter, have you voided your warranty?
If you go to an autocross, never hit either rev limiter/counter, have you again voided your warranty?
If you take your car to a drag strip, never hit either rev limiter/counter, have your again voided your warranty.

I am guilty of not having read my 996TT owner's documentation front to back, but exactly what activities are listed as being legal grounds to void a warranty these days, according to PAG or PCNA?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Hey Itc,

I sat there and watched the words come out of the Porsche reps mouth...."Tracking the car can void your warranty"....He said they encourage club events though to teach people how to drive properly.

Need any more proof?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Tool Pants,

It is entirely possible. But it would take a lot of effort. There aren't too many electrical/computer engineers around that have enough experience with fuel computers, but it could be done... The other problem is how you would even get an extra few DMEs to fuss around with. I am sure the cost is pretty high. That and you could get your *** handed to you for reverse engineering their storage scheme.

Do any of you guys know the model number of the DME etc... I am assuming it is a bosch unit like everything else. On something this high end, they can use a very good chipset and so they can use good encryption schemes, unlike for instance my 951.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Hey Itc,
I sat there and watched the words come out of the Porsche reps mouth...."Tracking the car can void your warranty".
Need any more proof?
Robert,
I responded to you on the 997 forum, so I will be brief.

The Porsche rep could sit there and claim/state that he is from Andromeda and by driving your car in the rain you can void the warranty. He can strip naked and run around the room claiming that the sky is falling.
That does not make him LEGALLY correct; hence the need for arbitration/ruling from a judge, in full compliance with all written contracts, implied and otherwise, in accordance with applicable state/federal laws.

Sorry, degrees in engineering and law make for a somewhat different view of things I'm afraid.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Would putting in the clutch at WOT trigger a type one or two, always wondered about that, kind of like missing a shift?
A good rule of thumb...always know what gear you are in, even if it means resorting to counting them in your head... 1...2...3...4...5...4...3...2...
Old 02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darren
The type 1 overrev is BS. If the engine can't handle that RPM then they should lower the rev limit!!
What are you talking about? Type 1 IS the rev limiter. The reason they count it is so they know if you suck at driving and bang the engine off the rev limiter at every stop light.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoever asked the question about what range qualifies as a type 2,

common sense would conclude that a type 2 overrev is anything that is above the limiter that creates a type 1.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

The rev limiter is there to prevent you from doing damage by overreving the engine. The limit of the rev limiter should be at an rpm that is safe assuming you just blip it and are not riding the redline for 10 minutes. If you blip the redline you aren't doing damage -- if it does do damage at that limit then its set wrong.

What they look at is not so much the number of times that you hit the redline, but the overall amount of time that you spend on redline. The dealer checks this as the number of "pulses" that you hit the redline.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:39 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it would be easier and cheaper simply to say your DME was stolen, get a new one, and use the old one for tracking. Put the new one in for regular driving.

Quick Reply: Type 2 over rev values and warranty