996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AOS - Failure after 500km? (300mi)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024, 11:17 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Justin, your oil doesn't have any moly. Charles gave you some thoughts on a moly additive a few posts back. There has to be someway to get better oil in your country? I would pay up for it if it was my 996. Heck, I am paying up now for Driven DI40 in the US and previously for Millers Nano from the UK. Lubrication is everything in the M96.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:32 PM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Justin, your oil doesn't have any moly. Charles gave you some thoughts on a moly additive a few posts back. There has to be someway to get better oil in your country? I would pay up for it if it was my 996. Heck, I am paying up now for Driven DI40 in the US and previously for Millers Nano from the UK. Lubrication is everything in the M96.
Hi GC996

Yea aware of the moly. This is the first oil change in my ownership so I've not had a change since and finding moly oil here isn't straight foward. I think I'll end up having to go to Liqui Moly Molygen oil as that's all I can get here.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:44 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justinbAUS
Hi GC996

Yea aware of the moly. This is the first oil change in my ownership so I've not had a change since and finding moly oil here isn't straight foward. I think I'll end up having to go to Liqui Moly Molygen oil as that's all I can get here.
Is that an environmental law thing in your country that makes it difficult to get?
Old 09-09-2024, 12:16 AM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Originally Posted by GC996
Is that an environmental law thing in your country that makes it difficult to get?
I don't believe so. DI is imported 1200km from me, for example. Lake Speed Jr gave me a list of four oils that he likes for the flat 6 all of which isn't sold here. Pennzoil isn't in Australia at all. Motul is big in the bike scene but not so much with automotive.

In referencing this Virgin Oil Analysis Results - Google Sheets If you take the Mobil 1 Euro 5w-40 SP (line 10) or the Mobil 1 Euro 5W-40 SN (Line 11) neither are sold here! and there's other examples. And there's other oils that on on this Forum and BITOG forum that are just not sold here. Why? small market.

It is the same with tyres. I can see Michelin supply a bigger varity of sizes in the US and Europe, but not here. Pilot Sport 5 in the sizes I need for front and rear are not an option. But I can get them for Pilot Sport 4S.

It's got to be a lack of customer base thing
Old 09-09-2024, 01:14 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,150 Posts

It looks like your engine survived the "up side down" scavenge pump....good thing you have net been driving the snot out of it or Tracking it...

Also I am shocked at the labs " normal wear metal range" most all labs here have much tighter standards for "normal".... that lab considers 65 ppm iron to "caution" range....here anything in the "teens", deserves a close watch...interesting ......
Old 09-09-2024, 02:22 AM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
It looks like your engine survived the "up side down" scavenge pump....good thing you have net been driving the snot out of it or Tracking it...

Also I am shocked at the labs " normal wear metal range" most all labs here have much tighter standards for "normal".... that lab considers 65 ppm iron to "caution" range....here anything in the "teens", deserves a close watch...interesting ......
With the pump upside down what would it have been doing inside the engine? sucking oil from the pan into the bank 1 head?
Old 09-09-2024, 08:27 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justinbAUS
I don't believe so. DI is imported 1200km from me, for example. Lake Speed Jr gave me a list of four oils that he likes for the flat 6 all of which isn't sold here. Pennzoil isn't in Australia at all. Motul is big in the bike scene but not so much with automotive.

In referencing this Virgin Oil Analysis Results - Google Sheets If you take the Mobil 1 Euro 5w-40 SP (line 10) or the Mobil 1 Euro 5W-40 SN (Line 11) neither are sold here! and there's other examples. And there's other oils that on on this Forum and BITOG forum that are just not sold here. Why? small market.

It is the same with tyres. I can see Michelin supply a bigger varity of sizes in the US and Europe, but not here. Pilot Sport 5 in the sizes I need for front and rear are not an option. But I can get them for Pilot Sport 4S.

It's got to be a lack of customer base thing
Crazy. Sounds like the best thing you can do from an oil standpoint is network with the Porsche and racing community (including indys) to find viable sources for good oil. I can't imagine the track community and those that are serious about their engines in your country not finding good sources for oil and additives.

Quick Reply: AOS - Failure after 500km? (300mi)