996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AOS - Failure after 500km? (300mi)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2024, 08:53 AM
Falcon911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

@justinbAUS Are you smoking from both tail pipes or just one? Both would more likely point to the AOS.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:55 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,231 Posts

Originally Posted by justinbAUS
The indie did do the AOS about a month ago.

On the phone they started talking about taking intakes off, camera in cylinders etc.. I'm trying not to think the engine's has something catestrophic.
These engines are pretty damn durable but their are 3 catastrophic failure points that are easily solved for and therefore prevented.

1. IMSB failure. Easy to solve, just replace the oem IMSB with an LN Retro or Solution.
2. Water Pump failure which can lead to possible head/cylinder cracking. Easy to solve, just replace the water pump every 5 years.
3. AOS failure which can lead to exhaust smoking (not catastrophic but it is a pita and can lead to your cats going bad), the possibility of intermix when the aos starts to deteriorate, as well as in extreme cases which are typically on the track or aggressive canyon carving when too much oil gets in the cylinders and the pressure cracks them which is also known as hydralock. Easy to solve for, just replace your AOS with the UAOS track.

The fourth failure is a slow failure known as bore scoring. This can be easily solved for by running great oil, changing it at least 2x a year, making sure your fuel injectors are in great shape and functioning properly.

My guess is your smoking is from over filling your engine oil coupled with the oem AOS inability to process it. Common Issue.

But your indy is probably suggestingvthat they look at your cylinders to make sure that they arent cracking, which is probability a low probability event. Besides, you would most likely see it with intermix. If you go that route might as well get the bores scoped to check their condition for bore scoring so you can further sleep at night.

I can't emphasize enough how durable these engines are if you solve for the 4 items listed above. Further, I wouldn't jump to any negative conclusions. Sure, anything can happen, but in reality, they are low probability events.

Last edited by GC996; 08-12-2024 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:11 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Justin, I just saw you had another thread on Gulf oil and you sent out a UAO. Have you received the results back yet?
Old 08-12-2024, 09:23 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon911
@justinbAUS Are you smoking from both tail pipes or just one? Both would more likely point to the AOS.
Both.

I threw it up on YT
Old 08-12-2024, 10:10 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 687 Posts

Yikes! Oil smoke is bluish and smells... oily. Coolant "smoke" is whitish and smells sweet-ish. I'd pull that AOS line as mentioned earlier. Also a manometer isn't expensive and can be a good excuse to buy a blingy oil cap.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:11 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it eventually stop smoking after startup, or is it continuous?
Old 08-12-2024, 05:35 PM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GC996
Justin, I just saw you had another thread on Gulf oil and you sent out a UAO. Have you received the results back yet?
Only just sent that off. These guys usually take around a week. Will post when results are in.
Old 08-12-2024, 05:37 PM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robroy72
Does it eventually stop smoking after startup, or is it continuous?
Hi - Only ran it for the length of the video and then stopped it. Haven't started it since.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:24 PM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GC996
These engines are pretty damn durable but their are 3 catastrophic failure points that are easily solved for and therefore prevented.

1. IMSB failure. Easy to solve, just replace the oem IMSB with an LN Retro or Solution.
2. Water Pump failure which can lead to possible head/cylinder cracking. Easy to solve, just replace the water pump every 5 years.
3. AOS failure which can lead to exhaust smoking (not catastrophic but it is a pita and can lead to your cats going bad), the possibility of intermix when the aos starts to deteriorate, as well as in extreme cases which are typically on the track or aggressive canyon carving when too much oil gets in the cylinders and the pressure cracks them which is also known as hydralock. Easy to solve for, just replace your AOS with the UAOS track.

The fourth failure is a slow failure known as bore scoring. This can be easily solved for by running great oil, changing it at least 2x a year, making sure your fuel injectors are in great shape and functioning properly.

My guess is your smoking is from over filling your engine oil coupled with the oem AOS inability to process it. Common Issue.

But your indy is probably suggestingvthat they look at your cylinders to make sure that they arent cracking, which is probability a low probability event. Besides, you would most likely see it with intermix. If you go that route might as well get the bores scoped to check their condition for bore scoring so you can further sleep at night.

I can't emphasize enough how durable these engines are if you solve for the 4 items listed above. Further, I wouldn't jump to any negative conclusions. Sure, anything can happen, but in reality, they are low probability events.
Hi - thank you for the time you spent on this (and all of you for that matter)

Car has IMS solutions (for the last 8 years) / water pump 3/4 years ago, and the engine had a refresh.

When the indie resolved the oil leak (it was from the IMS cover plate gasket) and replaced the clutch I had them replace the AOS as I did experience the smoke within the first week. Not as much smoke as this, however. The indie changed the oil/filter. The oil level was spot on max with the stick and sensor. And from everything I've read (my car is 2004) it has the newer dip stick for the reduced level recomendation. It subsequently had 250km of big squirts (2nd/3rd gear to 7k) on sweeping bends with my friend following. We switched cars and I followed the P and we both noted zero smoke. This event only occured Sunday night

As for 'great' oil. That's turning out to be a PITA. Everything that Lake Speed Jr recommends (Driven, Motul x-cess gen2) as well as others just isn't sold here in Australia. Redline is available but that comes to $300 for 9L (quart is 0.948L) and no idea how long it has been sitting on the vendor's shelf. So I've sent off a virgin oil sample of what the indie is using - Gulf ULE 5w-40

One thing I cannot get my head around is how sensitive these cars are to oil level and how it affects the AOS. I've looked for some YT videos to try and explain it to me but not found anything. Is is only an issue on high revs? with/without wide open throttle? or high G's?

Cheers
Old 08-12-2024, 08:35 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

I defer to Skip (@Porschetech3) who would be the guy to answer the engineering side of the AOS. While it's a big pita when it happens, its no big deal to put a better one on.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:56 PM
dporsche74
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

china parts are garbage for evry bramd.. ... need to buy 3 and one will work;; maybe.. NOS is best as always.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:53 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

That smoke video sure does look like oil smoke...

Yes I have shipped UAOS Systems to Australia before, and all over such as Canada, South Africa, all over Europe and Asia.....The shipping cost is about $70 usd , and doesn't count for your Country's Taxes/Duties/Customs because they are all different so I don't mess with that, I just handle the UPS Worldwide shipping cost. You have to deal with your Countries Import rules ...

As far as the installation goes , the UAOS System is Plug-N-Play, only two more screws to have to R&R's from the OEM AOS system, and with the Track Drain Option you have to install the new oil fill tube provided also...

Any competent Professional who is familiar with replacing an OEM AOS can install the UAOS System...It's very straightforward...

Also since this is a fairly new engine I would suggest to get your Tech to make sure the scavenge pumps are installed correctly ( oriented correctly) and working properly just to be safe...

The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
GC996 (08-12-2024), wdb (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:51 PM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
That smoke video sure does look like oil smoke...

Yes I have shipped UAOS Systems to Australia before, and all over such as Canada, South Africa, all over Europe and Asia.....The shipping cost is about $70 usd , and doesn't count for your Country's Taxes/Duties/Customs because they are all different so I don't mess with that, I just handle the UPS Worldwide shipping cost. You have to deal with your Countries Import rules ...

As far as the installation goes , the UAOS System is Plug-N-Play, only two more screws to have to R&R's from the OEM AOS system, and with the Track Drain Option you have to install the new oil fill tube provided also...

Any competent Professional who is familiar with replacing an OEM AOS can install the UAOS System...It's very straightforward...

Also since this is a fairly new engine I would suggest to get your Tech to make sure the scavenge pumps are installed correctly ( oriented correctly) and working properly just to be safe...
Thanks - how does one check that the scavenge pumps are installed correctly? remove sump? how would you know that they're not installed correctly without getting into the engine?
Old 08-12-2024, 11:30 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Thanks - how does one check that the scavenge pumps are installed correctly? remove sump? how would you know that they're not installed correctly without getting into the engine?
The scavenge pumps have the number 1-3 and 4-6 cast on them 180* apart ( opposite sides)

Bank 1 ( drivers side in the US) should have the 1-3 facing towards the crankshaft...

Bank 2 ( passenger side US ) should have the 4-6 facing towards the crankshaft ...

These can be seen just by looking at them......There are several threads in the archive on this issue with very good visual pictures...

The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
justinbAUS (08-13-2024), wdb (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 08:22 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Hi so quick update. Started the car this morning and lots of smoke that settled after 10-15 seconds. Little blip of the throttle and more smoke. So had it towed to the indie.

Got an email from the indie. Their words

"We’ve removed the intake manifold and found quite a bit of oil is situated there. If the bores look all OK, this hints more towards the AOS. We’ll need to investigate further to be 100%"
we wait and see.

Quick Reply: AOS - Failure after 500km? (300mi)