996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AOS - Failure after 500km? (300mi)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 12:02 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

@allgood read the description in the link Charles provided on the Swepco additive, it mentions the LN MoS2
The following users liked this post:
allcool (08-15-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 09:20 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@justinbAUS have you had your indie check the cam deviation to see if its within limits?
Old 08-19-2024, 09:42 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robroy72
@justinbAUS have you had your indie check the cam deviation to see if its within limits?
Hi RobRoy,

No. the car is still in bits waiting for UAOS.

Can a cam deviation issue cause the oil to be sucked up into the AOS? or would it create too much crank case pressure?
Old 08-19-2024, 09:55 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by justinbAUS
Hi RobRoy,

No. the car is still in bits waiting for UAOS.

Can a cam deviation issue cause the oil to be sucked up into the AOS? or would it create too much crank case pressure?

Neither, its just good to know and check the values occasionally.
Old 08-19-2024, 10:05 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Neither, its just good to know and check the values occasionally.
The engine recently got new chains / guides etc.. so they should be good for a long time ?
Old 08-19-2024, 02:21 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

The engine recently got new chains / guides etc.. so they should be good for a long time ?

Yea probably wouldnt check then until another 50k miles and then every 15k.
Old 08-20-2024, 11:01 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to check it to make sure everything was done properly since it was a previous owner.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (08-20-2024)
Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Sir - you were on the money.

I didn't install a UAOS as the cost of shipping etc made is a $3500 spend. So I decided to replace the AOS with a Porsche genuine and I fed back to the Indie (right at the beginning) about checking the scavenge pump.

After they installed the AOS (and completedly a leakdown test (less then 10% loss across all cylinders) they pulled the pumps. Bank one (1-3) was 180 out of phase!!!!!

I've just picked up the car and it is humming along.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
That smoke video sure does look like oil smoke...

Yes I have shipped UAOS Systems to Australia before, and all over such as Canada, South Africa, all over Europe and Asia.....The shipping cost is about $70 usd , and doesn't count for your Country's Taxes/Duties/Customs because they are all different so I don't mess with that, I just handle the UPS Worldwide shipping cost. You have to deal with your Countries Import rules ...

As far as the installation goes , the UAOS System is Plug-N-Play, only two more screws to have to R&R's from the OEM AOS system, and with the Track Drain Option you have to install the new oil fill tube provided also...

Any competent Professional who is familiar with replacing an OEM AOS can install the UAOS System...It's very straightforward...

Also since this is a fairly new engine I would suggest to get your Tech to make sure the scavenge pumps are installed correctly ( oriented correctly) and working properly just to be safe...
The following 5 users liked this post by justinbAUS:
996love (Yesterday), De Jeeper (Yesterday), robroy72 (Yesterday), SealG996 (Today), wdb (Yesterday)
Old Today, 01:49 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

@justinbAUS Glad you got your car sorted !!!

That is the 3rd M96 I have saved from catastrophic failure on this forum for this paticulal issue just recently ( <<<< patting self on the back )

The UAOS System was not really meant for the "good enough crowd",,( we got along without it for almost 2 decades), it took almost 2 decades to get tired all the engine failures from hydrolock, cracked cylinders bent rods, and all the labor to replace the AOS every few years, then sometimes even the OEM Genuine Porsche one fails right out of the box......Let alone the recent development to UAOS to increase durability in high g turns..And in the long run the labor saved pays for itself..

I am curious of the cost in Australia of $3500 to install the UAOS. Would you mind breaking that down for me? I'm sure others in other Countries would be interested as well..I know the Import Rules are different in every Country, with the US import Rules the most lenient, but what all does that $3500 include ?

Sir - you were on the money.

I didn't install a UAOS as the cost of shipping etc made is a $3500 spend. So I decided to replace the AOS with a Porsche genuine and I fed back to the Indie (right at the beginning) about checking the scavenge pump.

After they installed the AOS (and completedly a leakdown test (less then 10% loss across all cylinders) they pulled the pumps. Bank one (1-3) was 180 out of phase!!!!!

I've just picked up the car and it is humming along.
Old Today, 03:38 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Private message sent - I don't like mentioning company names publically. Feel free to ask more questions. I would like to install the UAOS myself but I just don't have anywhere I can do it in little stages / take my time. (no garage... my car lives on the street)

@justinbAUS Glad you got your car sorted !!!

That is the 3rd M96 I have saved from catastrophic failure on this forum for this paticulal issue just recently ( <<<< patting self on the back )

The UAOS System was not really meant for the "good enough crowd",,( we got along without it for almost 2 decades), it took almost 2 decades to get tired all the engine failures from hydrolock, cracked cylinders bent rods, and all the labor to replace the AOS every few years, then sometimes even the OEM Genuine Porsche one fails right out of the box......Let alone the recent development to UAOS to increase durability in high g turns..And in the long run the labor saved pays for itself..

I am curious of the cost in Australia of $3500 to install the UAOS. Would you mind breaking that down for me? I'm sure others in other Countries would be interested as well..I know the Import Rules are different in every Country, with the US import Rules the most lenient, but what all does that $3500 include ?
Old Today, 05:34 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info !! ....Too bad the situation of the excessive costs kept you from upgrading to the UAOS System..
Old Today, 06:25 AM
CaymanLady
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excessive Cost

Thanks for the info !! ....Too bad the situation of the excessive costs kept you from upgrading to the UAOS System..
If you should consider the importance of what is needed , no amount of cost is too high!
Old Today, 06:52 AM
SealG996
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

I deal with a very different Indy in Australia. They had a 996 preped for an event and as you say the factory new AOS failed - as it drove out of the shop. After doing a whole LN 3.8 Nickies deluxe bottom end. They fully supported the UAOS, given the extensive build to support. .
Old Today, 07:17 AM
justinbAUS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SealG996
I deal with a very different Indy in Australia. They had a 996 preped for an event and as you say the factory new AOS failed - as it drove out of the shop. After doing a whole LN 3.8 Nickies deluxe bottom end. They fully supported the UAOS, given the extensive build to support. .
The guys doing the work on my car to get me where I am basically refuses to install 'customer' parts. I suspect they might lighten up once I build rapport... but plan to chat to your guy

Quick Reply: AOS - Failure after 500km? (300mi)