Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying a 996 - Impossible to test drive, be taken seriously, or not encounter a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 12:15 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Wow, sounds like in your area, you may not want to consider a Porsche. Sounds like there is very little inventory. I am in Canada (Toronto), even here, there are quite limited service options that I struggle with when I need something addressed on the car. Not lack of skill, but just have to wait.

Especially, if you plan on daily driving a 25 year old car, it is going to break and need repair. Have you found a service facility local to you that would also be aware of cars that may be for sale?
The following users liked this post:
Woodman71 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:15 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Being young & male can be tough when buying a car like this. Stay away from FB marketplace & eBay. Be careful on Craigslist too. I see a lot of flippers, scammers and lowlifes on those platforms. I did use Craigslist in my search 4 years ago but I'd stay away from ads that look quickly put together or they don't seem to know much. I found several on Auto Trader and CarGurus. I don't like dealers. They're generally better at screwing you over than an average joe will be, they won't know or care anything about the car's history and you'll pay more with no real guarantees when buying an older car. Some boutique dealers are an exception but you're probably not looking in their price range.

Like others have mentioned, look in the enthusiast sites: Here on RL, pcarmart and the PCA website. Get their test drive membership. I wish I'd paid more attention to those sites when I was looking.

I also second the suggestion about phone calls. I'm a Gen-X techie but have more of a Gen-Z attitude when it comes to phone calls. But it's still a good idea to talk to the seller in real time if you're going to invest any time in the car.
igrip (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:38 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is one for you.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...747402169.html
Elumere (06-14-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:42 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I rolled the dice and bought site unseen on BAT. It was probably not the wisest move, but seems to have worked out okay. I went for a high mile car, and an 'early' build, specifically to gamble on big issues being dealt with already. No PPI (did a PostPI), seller was a dealer/flip. I paid too much to ship it 3,000 miles. I paid the annoying BAT 5% fee, plus the BAT "fee" (everything is more expensive). The car was 95% as shown. I knew I could only do this if I did the maintenance work myself, within reason. I have so far saved a ton by rolling up sleeves and getting a LOT of help from fellow rennlist members. I'll probably never recoup my purchase price plus BAT/shipping. But the car brings me joy every time I get in it. So I keep knocking wood that it'll last me a long long time.

And I never test drove a 911 prior. I had never even been in a 911 prior. But I knew it was what I wanted (and especially the 996, i've been lurking on this site for almost a decade). So looong story short, just keep at it. There are some stupid deals lately on BAT (stupid as in dirt cheap). Maybe it's worth the gamble...

If this wasn't black - i would almost consider it as a second car - i'd love to get a coupe and mod it up (my cab i'm keeping mostly stock).
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rera-coupe-71/

Last edited by Ben8jam; 05-16-2024 at 12:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ben8jam:
cboxell (05-16-2024), F. Thumb (05-18-2024), Larson E. Rapp (05-16-2024), Rx_911 (06-21-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 03:30 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree with "stay away from dealers" in general, but I found my beauty at a local garage that does consignment for specialty vehicles. So, they're out there, if you find a reputable one they're worth looking at.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:54 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,176 Posts

@Bloku_ if you ever get to the Chicago area, pm me. You can drive my 996.2

Get involved with your local PCA region. Go to a few events. thats were opportunities become known.

I wouldn't shy away from any car sitting at a dealership. Just make sure you do a thorough PPI on the car. Patience, an opportunity will materialize.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
Elumere (06-14-2024), igrip (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:30 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 106 Posts

I know you'd prefer to find something near your home, but perhaps this example may broaden the potential a bit. Here is a craigslist search on Porsche 911, from 1998 to 2005 based in San Diego. The search function includes "nearby areas", meaning southern LA and Orange County. There are 60 results, which seems crazy, perhaps you could plan a short trip to inspect a few of them. There will also be a several qualified Indy shops nearby for a PPI. If you can broaden even more into the 997 range, these days the lowest priced 997s can be equivalent to 996s.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/sear...=1~gallery~0~0
igrip (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:34 PM
Bloku_
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Huge 16,000 word reply! :D

Ugh, this took from 5pm to 7:25pm to write! My hands hurt!!

Thanks everyone! :')

De Jeeper, I will stick to my guns, always! not sticking to my guns is how you messup. Also, I expect this to be maintenence heavey but as both a driver and a mechanic along with decent cash I think I can handle it.... I very much so love driving, in traffic, high speed, slow speed. Heck I drive home then hop on the simulator If not, I just wrench on the 2002 or drop by dad's back yard shop.
------------------------------------------
hatchetf15, I will be sure to msg Brandon Clark in OKC! This is the route my father suggested to me.
Eric Kessel, YES! You hit the nail on the head... Thats exactly what I am looking for, "AN ENTHUIAST SELLER". I put out the word to a friend in tulsa (eric at bughaus) and for a guy I know thru the bmw2002faq forums in DFW area... No bites (but I gotta do the work).

I also tried making a PCA account but it was asking for $$ and I am not too sure it will be super helpful? I will def give it a second look though. OHHH and thx for the link to the cimarron club! perfect Maybe ill meet some of you guys there?? Its been a long time from my last "car meet" of any sort (I was in HS tbh... dang... like 2017). Thank you sir
Connect_yvr, ah a fellow loc'er! These cars cater to a pretty ecletic crowd (25+ y/o porsche guys lol). Best luck to you on that sale thru word of mouth! I have always seen you get the best cars (and deals) thru Word of mouth. Really, I just want someone who likes the car, I dont want an abused "25 year old 911", I want a nice, loved, well taken care of porsche... theres a difference!!!

And very true about that connect. I tried to keep the first questions to simply: how long have you owned it, did you ever do the IMS and or RMS, and why are you selling. Phone calls are the way though and I should def be doing that. Gen Z tendancies not to use a phone as a... phone. *faceplam*. But just like Eric (above) said, I will be checking out the cimmaron may 21st thing! I will try n pull up in a (non porsche) fun vintage car too!
igrip, you are too kind :") It warms my heart seeing these nice replies! I will just keep checking in after work until I find it. I'll probe on the classic site like FB and CL, but if the owner gives me any sauce, I shall keep going. A guy in the oil section at work and I spoke and he gave me sound advice on this 996 hunt (hes an older bmw guy) "Remove your passion from the serach, that way sellers dont use it against you and also so you dont make bad decisions!"
03pcoupe, Haha! typing this block of text I had a moment where I thought "dang, so this is how (hard) it is getting a 996?... hard yes, but exciting! I love this stuff!! What could be more fun, saving, working, looking, talking, failing, and then winning! Thats the good life right there gents". But yes, absloutly must be manual. Ive gotta feel that floor hinge w/ the heel toe yummm.

IMPORTANT!!! Should I only ever trust a PPI to be done by a Porsche Dealership and nothing else? One dude on FB offered to have the PPI done at a local shop for $115.... I was like, hell no bro. I will only accept the oil pan removed and spark plug removed bore scope level PPI. IDC if it is 800 dollars, Its worth it. I need NO or very very very little bore score (enough that its livable) and I can drive it for like another 30k miles/7 years+ before I need the engine. I plan to honestly (if I love it as much as I think I do) get another m96 engine and build it out to a 4.0 and get a nice trans too and put them in the corner of the shop until the day (if ever) comes (engine failure).

But yessir, I like the way you did your purchase '03! I think thats the way to go. I see why people say stay away, but I am 100% of that ilk. I just took out my transmission and put it back in my 2002 the other day because the fricken ring gear was slipping on the fly wheel due to the starter! I was a bit mad but was happy to do it to get her working again. I am true car nutjob. Thank you for the advice
isalos, ok, I have this little list saved down! I am trying to serach in towns where I have family or friends who could test drive the car... Very sound advice on esp 1 and 2. I am a bit confused on number three though. When you say professional, do you mean the PPI or do you mean a third party? Sorry if the answer is obvious... answering these post got me crosseyed! hahaha. I like the idea of the oil analysis but I am also fearful of an oil swapout (lol i imagine it like the sellers getting drug tested and tries to use fake **** hahaha). I think the oil analysis should have some typical "weights" of metals in the oil that are m96 specific? Like the oil analysis of a m96 prob has WAYY different metals than an LS3 engine (also, plz correct me if I am wrong).

hummm... isalso, you are banned, reason, advocation for an automatic transmission :P . Lol jk but I feel you... I am just wayy to much of a manual freak. I love love motorsport and the heel toe and clutch kicks and all that jazz are what bring me the most joy while driving... I just feel empty without it. I would love to find a grandma owned 911 996 manual in artic silver with a black interior but who am I kidding! lol
Carlo D, I have concidered auction sites (like BAT) but really am not sure... I am going to stick to "my guns", but who knows... If I cant find what I am looking for, then
ZuffenZeus, you are very correct on your faceplam, but honestly, if I could have just walked up and said to mr used dealer "Hey dude, just let me look at the nicest, most expensive car on your lot, inside and out, and leave me alone bc I just wana see if I even want one and wont bother buying yours" would not work well (I wish it would), I would have. If its on their lot, I have got to respect their ownership of the car to deal with them. I really did this so I could even see one... I have never been near one but that one 1/2 a year ago (and now that auto one). This was also my fathers idea as I had no interest in even going! I think I got what I needed out of the visit in hindsight. He simply thought it wise for me to see it and see if I even fit (physically and mentally) the car and to kinda quell my antsy-ness.

Lol, yes! I need that chill... I will keep looking for the right car and musn't get unchilled. I talk with the old guy in the petrolium engineering section of work whos also a big BMW guy and he gave me the following advice: "Do not get passionate or emotional when trying to buy or sell as it will skew your judgment". I like that! Also about the apprehensive gen Z statement. Very true. I try to stay 1/2 glass full but having never been in a world without internet (and therefore a crisp view of all the worlds Bull Sh*t) really wears on you. I have never had social media so I feel that helps with my generation's "sickness" lol.

And yea, I would like to go back and edit my og post but really I would indeed talk to them in a chill way and let them know exactly what I am looking for, then I would hit them with the 3 most major things: How long have you owned, why sell it, did you do the IMS. I try to throw a bit of honey at them . But no wonder you sold your 911 on BAT! Everyone on FB can't be bothered tbh.

Also, you crosssed out "spend around 30,000", you just mean to say that I should look for what I want and figure out the $$ later type deal? Thats the same advice ol dad gave me... I like it. I kinda got on rennlist to hear it from another source (classic, right?).
Viper1000, Oh absloutly! I will def hit you up if I find one there... I have expanded my search to roughly 500-700 miles from Tulsa Ok tbh. Any further is a bit silly imho but I am sure I am missing out on some nice examples so honestly, IDK!?
911Dreamer, I want that 996 daily driver. NO OTHER CAR interest me... I have been looking. Legit, nothing. I never expected to want a 911 bad like this but dang oh do i want this. the wallet is ready (as it will ever be) and I plan on doing 95% of the wrenching myself. Thats why I want that nice example so I dont have to do crazy amounts of wrenching (or hidden additional charges $$$ due to a bad inital purchase of a lemon 996).

Also, why are you kicking yourself that you did not do it sooner? I want exactly this (or as close as possible): 996.1 carrera 2 (simple is best as I will be wrenching), HARDTOP (non targa), artic silver, blk interior, rear window wiper (I love that quirky stuff), 1999 or 2000 (must be dual row style IMS), low-mid miles (lets say 50k but up to 100k but rly I just need something thats been serviced or needs to be and is a nice driver that continues to be driven... thats why I say 50k to 100k honestly)

I like to think that I am ready for these fixes. I am not looking for a toyota as I have one on standby for all the times this will happen to me with this car!! haha. I am all about that peace of mind daily driving. I have heard and reasearched that the avg yearly ownership looks like 1.5k ish on a good year, and like 6k on a bad ish year, and 25k on a "you got f*cked", year. I am trying to make sure I dont deal with the later of those payments by doing my due dilligance early and getting not only what I want, but something that is proven and tested to be a solid drivetrain. I won't kid myself. I would also like to keep reasearching the 996's problems but I SICK of it. I have seen enough and am just ready to finally start looking for one in earnest. Thats kinda where I am at now, but I am still trying to learn. I have been lurking here for awhile looking at the issues you all face with your cars.

Could a kind sould maybe point me towards what the most common (or uncommon) issues with these cars are? OFC i do not mean the IMS or RMS or bore score, I mean stuff like "the heater fan stopped" or the P.S. pump died, or why wont it start when hot but cranks, type issues... I have seen a lot but I think I still need to see more. I am not scared of doing the fixes though. I just need to get my grubby hands on the car! haha. I have the car every porsche owner needs, a toyota tacoma (well, a "pickup" from 1989), and a 2008 mazda van too (lol).
Scrh1, I think I will bite the bullet and pay the MASSIVE FEE of $56 I think thats the way as, like you said, I will avoid the dealers and other types. I won't buy the car if you don't know about the car as it spells "TIME BOMB". I am really ready for it to find me tho lol. where are you?! I have been at this for aobuyt 5 months now and am really just wanting the slightest glimmer! Whatever, I will keep going. Why not?! I just need to try new avenews. THIS DISEASE IS UNCURABLE!
steam_mill, yea, I am thinking its the area. I will def be fine as there are porsche dealerships and I am within like 3 hr drive of dallas ft. worth. Nothings stopping me . I will be doing 95% of my servicing though (I have shop access thankfully and other daily drivers). I am very very used to these types of cars (tho not 911 exactly). I have Daily driven cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. I know the burn of a breakdown well and push starting. I talk big noise too though
Ssherman68, yea... I am def going to stay away from those guys... its not good for my mental! If I see poor writing or too short, im out. IDC how nice the car may be. I have looked on both auto trader and cargurus and am unsure, so its good to hear your advice. And you say "test drive membership"? Ill have to look into that!!

And of course, the phone call is the truth and the way
itusler, nnoooooo its a carrera 4! I am a hater of the c4 as it just has too much going on IMHO. I want the hardtop, c2, 996.1 as to get the most barebones car... Just my 2cents. Even the Stig said he liked the C2 more than the c4! But to be honest, that exactly the type of 996 I am looking for. Esp with that 15 year ownership is to die for!
Ben8jam, I am really being drawn in to the BAT 996 scene... but I dont want to deal with any BS at all! I refuse to have a trashed engine after paying near new car prices... just sounds sad. I like the way you think and I see the same way as you that I do not really plan to use this car as an investment. Life has nearly taken me to the grave and I need to simply live and do things that make me smile! People always ask if I will sell my karmann ghia as in the last 10 years it like 4x'ed in price. I could care less. I just drive it. I never plan on selling it so who cares how much its worth? I only just dont want to pay tooo much money (like pay 25k on a 996 and then have to get a new engine for another 25 (gotta get that 4.0 engine lol)). I just want the most basic drive, no vert or targa, no electronic throttle cables, no fancy 4 wheel drive...

I love how you had never driven one but then just got it! did you like it?? I have been eying a 911 from being a little kid. Dad, tho well in 6 figures, never bought ANYTHING nice (meaning more than 7k dolalrs for a car) other than for momma. I had to go to school (college) get a trade, etc, and only now, can I finally even consider sitting my butt in a 911. Feels great though. so many years inthe making. This is why I cant mess it up by being hasty.

Also this -https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-coupe-71/ - car has me dying! This is exactly what I am looking for... 19's are too big of wheels, 17s are almost it but too small (tho I welcome it on the bad oklahoma roads) but the 18s are just right for a car this smole! This one has me so so so infatuated! It confuses me so how a car this nice and a 911 can garner so much hate and such a low price. Their loss tbh. I hope it stays like this until I get one... or 2... or 3
Woodman71, hummm I am going to have to look into that method of yours!
GC996, thank you sir. I am in a new job and am doing a lot (ok, like 5 - 10 percent is a lot for me) of travel and would love to head up to Chicago! I have never been. This is one of the reasons I go a trade as I need to see the world (or heck, just the USA hahah). I like the way you think as well. Sometimes a jem rolls into a dealership. Just do the PPI and take it from there. Not much too it. The problem is all the BS before then ugh
911Syncro, very nice idea! My family actually suggested I do the same thing! My very apprehensive father though said that he would never trust driving the 996 back from a place like cali as the fees and cost and headache of getting the car that breaks down 1000's of miles from home is horrid... I can't fault him. Maybe ill just have it shipped from cali after flying in an talking to a few kind gents and picking one to throw money at?! Also take a stop by the side of my family down in cali! Or I just ask them to drive the 996s I want to check out and if they dig it (tho prob dont know what to look for.... ill just facetime them when they're there), the have a PPI done and if it checks out, ship it here. done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bloku_:
cqhall (05-17-2024), GC996 (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:51 PM
dbwisle
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting ready to sell mine, if interested…

Hello…I will be selling my 2001 996 soon…I live in NM…I think it’s super nice, I’ve owned it for 6.5 yrs, never any issues. Let me know if you are interested…

Thanks,
Brad
igrip (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:59 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloku_

I love how you had never driven one but then just got it! did you like it?? I have been eying a 911 from being a little kid. Dad, tho well in 6 figures, never bought ANYTHING nice (meaning more than 7k dolalrs for a car) other than for momma. I had to go to school (college) get a trade, etc, and only now, can I finally even consider sitting my butt in a 911. Feels great though. so many years inthe making. This is why I cant mess it up by being hasty.

Also this -https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-coupe-71/ - car has me dying! This is exactly what I am looking for... 19's are too big of wheels, 17s are almost it but too small (tho I welcome it on the bad oklahoma roads) but the 18s are just right for a car this smole! This one has me so so so infatuated! It confuses me so how a car this nice and a 911 can garner so much hate and such a low price. Their loss tbh. I hope it stays like this until I get one... or 2... or 3
I love it. I live at the base of some of the greatest canyon driving roads in the country, so every week or every other week I take a 70-80 mile round trip drive with my neighbor in his GT3. It's very cleansing.

And per that 1999, go find the "what is special about the early build 1999s" thread, and you'll see what you passed up there. LSD, Sport suspension, cable-throttle, higher quality interior parts, better constructed engine block (pre-factory fire), and more. Plus it came with Hollow-Spoke wheels, which alone resale for $3-4k. I literally almost bought it, but don't want to deal with leather issues, and can't stand black cars.

Neighbor and his GT3 and my buddy who just got a 2015 GTS at the top of Angeles crest last week:

Last edited by Ben8jam; 05-16-2024 at 10:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ben8jam:
Elumere (06-14-2024), F. Thumb (05-18-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 10:11 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloku_
This is why I cant mess it up by being hasty.
Yes, it could take some patience. I'm in Southern California where there are a lot of 996 models but it still took almost 2 years to find mine and I had to settle for a color that I wasn't crazy about but I ended with a great car.
I'm currently looking for a specific model of convertible (non Porsche) and my searching has officially passed the two year mark for that too. *sigh*
Old 05-17-2024, 01:27 AM
168Sierra
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 109 Posts

I want to sell my 2002 C2 couple. It is Arctic Silver, Gray interior, 18” light weight wheels, Flat Six Innovations 3.8 Stage I engine. Body is nice. Reason for wanting to sell, I have five 996s and that is one too many. You are welcome to come see it and test drive it. 203K on chassis, 12K on engine.
Mark
The following 8 users liked this post by 168Sierra:
996love (05-17-2024), GC996 (05-20-2024), igrip (05-17-2024), islaTurbine (05-17-2024), Porschetech3 (05-17-2024), voodu3 (05-17-2024), wdb (05-17-2024), wildbilly32 (05-17-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:07 PM
california996C4
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Took me many months to find one I liked, similar specs to what you are looking for. Wanted a 6 speed, cabrio in my case, and $20,000 budget. Found CarGurus to be a good source of locating them, many search options such as manual trans, miles, price, trim level etc.. Not able to find one close to me (live in central California) I did finally find one I thought might work in San Diego, about 400 miles away. Spoke to the dealer who sent me pics and videos, so I flew down to see/test drive it. Got a nice drive in and found some things that needed attention so said I would be willing to buy it if they fixed those. Knew I would still have to do some work on it but it was VERY inexpensive. Bought it, had it transported to my house (approx $500) and love the car. It did need a fair amount of work, but if you are handy with a wrench, and have internet access, YouTube is your friend! So far, I have done an oil and filter change, replaced the brake light switch, removed and sent out for rebuild both convertible top hydraulic cylinders, then reinstalled, bled system and now it works fine. Independent shop wanted roughly $4500 to do this, using factory parts I did all of it for less than $1000. Never had a 911 before but working on it is a great way to get to know the car... Good luck!
Old 05-17-2024, 07:14 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 101 Posts

OP is the most thorough person I've ever encountered on a forum...and that's awesome. They totally balance out the dozens of people who post, "What car should I get?", and that's it...and never answer questions or return.

These buyers need to realize that these cars are lowering in value to where they are within reach of younger enthusiasts and they should welcome the new generation. Especially if this new generation is willing to do research and get their hands dirty.
The following 4 users liked this post by cqhall:
996love (05-18-2024), cboxell (05-17-2024), Elumere (06-14-2024), ssherman68 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 08:40 PM
dave_987
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

@Bloku_ , So cool that so many people on this forum have helped, and even offered their cars for sale! If you are still looking, you’ll find the people selling via PCA Mart to be incredibly generous - which has been my experience. It’s nice to see a young engineer interested in cars .. esp Porsche! Wishing you the best in your hunt!
The following 3 users liked this post by dave_987:
blacksquid (06-20-2024), Elumere (06-14-2024), igrip (05-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Buying a 996 - Impossible to test drive, be taken seriously, or not encounter a jerk