996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil filter canister bypass disable

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 06:04 AM
theblitz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know nothin bout this stuff but wouldn't just a really really strong spring keep the valve closed
Old 08-28-2024, 07:20 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by theblitz
Don't know nothin bout this stuff but wouldn't just a really really strong spring keep the valve closed
Many don't want to use our spin on oil filter adapter, so we have in production now a billet housing that will incorporate a higher pressure bypass valve as well as a really big magnet located at the bypass. We have a similar version already available for models where a spin on oil filter adapter was not practical:

https://lnengineering.com/products/p...inum-caps.html

These are going through the machine shop now. It's something we started on last year but we have just been too busy to get some of these new products pushed through.

If there is enough demand, we can make a version that omits the bypass completely.
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
996love (08-28-2024), GC996 (Yesterday)
Old 08-28-2024, 07:43 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Siberian14
Where did you @Porschetech3 or @FunWithPaul buy the Uro alum filter housing? I tried Rock Auto, no deal. Does it come with a new rubber gasket? Very interested. Thx.
Hi Siberian, the R.A. search feature works better when spaces in part numbers are deleted: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/%C...ter+cover,5561

Last edited by URO Support; 08-28-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:18 PM
996love
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

If there is enough demand, we can make a version that omits the bypass completely.
I’m very interested!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2024, 05:37 PM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 141 Posts

Where did you @Porschetech3 or @FunWithPaul buy the Uro alum filter housing? I tried Rock Auto, no deal. Does it come with a new rubber gasket? Very interested.

Thx.
I literally just ordered the URO off RockAuto, so unless they come back to me with an "oops, sorry", I think they have stock now.
Old 08-29-2024, 07:44 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 996love
I’m wondering if there’s anyone that has installed their URO oil filter housing cap.
Hi 996love, our engineers checked several pieces from our inventory, and were able to thread the covers into an OEM housing by hand. Did you happen to lubricate the threads and o-ring with some fresh engine oil? Metal-on-metal threads will have more drag than plastic-on-metal, but some lubricant helps offset the friction difference. Please contact us, thanks!

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
I literally just ordered the URO off RockAuto, so unless they come back to me with an "oops, sorry", I think they have stock now.
Here's the Rock Auto listing: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/%C...ter+cover,5561

Last edited by URO Support; 08-30-2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:49 PM
Siberian14
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Incomplete

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Many don't want to use our spin on oil filter adapter, so we have in production now a billet housing that will incorporate a higher pressure bypass valve as well as a really big magnet located at the bypass. We have a similar version already available for models where a spin on oil filter adapter was not practical:

https://lnengineering.com/products/p...inum-caps.html

These are going through the machine shop now. It's something we started on last year but we have just been too busy to get some of these new products pushed through.

There is no new aluminum version on the page link . What is the cost, is it available now, etc? Uro makes one that includes a filter. What is your offering?
Interested. Curious.

YMMV

Old 08-30-2024, 01:01 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 177 Posts

Uro makes one that includes a filter.
Uhhh, my URO 99610702055PRM aluminum filter canister DID NOT come with a filter.
The plastic Porsche oem filter housing from Pelican DOES come with a filter in the housing.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:14 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Guys, I am slow on the uptake for this one. Why would someone want to run this on their engine? Just trying to figure out the application/purpose. Its a cool canister.

Thanks for an explanation.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:57 PM
Siberian14
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What?

Originally Posted by allcool
Uhhh, my URO 99610702055PRM aluminum filter canister DID NOT come with a filter.
The plastic Porsche oem filter housing from Pelican DOES come with a filter in the housing.
A page from RockAuto--

The following users liked this post:
allcool (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:35 PM
allcool
Pro

A page from RockAuto--

Well, guess they owe me a filter, cause they surely didn't include one in my URO 99610702055PRM order.

RockAuto Order 278592678 Shipped

Last edited by allcool; 08-30-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:43 PM
allcool
Pro

Originally Posted by GC996
Guys, I am slow on the uptake for this one. Why would someone want to run this on their engine? Just trying to figure out the application/purpose. Its a cool canister.

Thanks for an explanation.
Well, this is a very nice, seems to be high quality, thick/solid/strong housing, that can possibly be drilled and tapped for oil temp/pressure/accusump(?), fittings. And the bypass port easily 'bypassed'.

Last edited by allcool; 08-30-2024 at 02:46 PM.
zbomb (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:48 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Well, this is a very nice, seems to be high quality, thick/solid/strong housing, that can be drilled and tapped for oil temp/pressure/accusump, fittings. And the bypass port easily 'bypassed'.
Fair enough. Another mundane question. What is the reason/application for bypassing the bypass port?
Old 08-30-2024, 03:22 PM
allcool
Pro

Originally Posted by GC996
Fair enough. Another mundane question. What is the reason/application for bypassing the bypass port?
When running heavy weight oils some say on cold starts its possible for the high pressure filter bypass to open up(especially if the filter is clogged ) and discharge all the crap on the bottom of filter housing directly in to the main oil gallery, going directly to main bearings. Not good.

But more than likely with the frequency we change our oil/filter at, the filter will never get clogged enough to trigger a 'clogged, in bypass' problem (unless the imsb or something else disintegrates completely filling the filter, very unlikely but possible). But suppose heavy weigh oil might trigger a bypass under the right circumstances, and any debris in bottom of filter will flow directly into bearings...

Some are concerned that the aluminum canister will burst from high pressure, more than likely never ever happen, probably the plastic canister won't either, unless its been damaged, maybe by a backyard mechanic's channel locks/filter wrench.
Also the oil pressure relief valve will also open and bypass high pressure back to sump on that side of the circuit.

So, bottom line, many of use will take our chances with no filter canister bypass, thus keeping all the debris//crap/smegma/etc, in the filter, never to leave the filter. Its lots Less of a risk than crap being sent to bearings when in filter bypass, Just like the LN spin on filter adapters don't have a bypass. And those spin on (beer/soup can thick) filters are far less robust/thick than this URO aluminum one, or even the oem plastic one, and with no bypass.

Most of the people that don't like the filter bypass have seen trashed main bearings from debris scoring when tearing down bum engines....

jmo

Last edited by allcool; 08-30-2024 at 03:56 PM.
GC996 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 04:53 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

When running heavy weight oils some say on cold starts its possible for the high pressure filter bypass to open up(especially if the filter is clogged ) and discharge all the crap on the bottom of filter housing directly in to the main oil gallery, going directly to main bearings. Not good.

But more than likely with the frequency we change our oil/filter at, the filter will never get clogged enough to trigger a 'clogged, in bypass' problem (unless the imsb or something else disintegrates completely filling the filter, very unlikely but possible). But suppose heavy weigh oil might trigger a bypass under the right circumstances, and any debris in bottom of filter will flow directly into bearings...

Some are concerned that the aluminum canister will burst from high pressure, more than likely never ever happen, probably the plastic canister won't either, unless its been damaged, maybe by a backyard mechanic's channel locks/filter wrench.
Also the oil pressure relief valve will also open and bypass high pressure back to sump on that side of the circuit.

So, bottom line, many of use will take our chances with no filter canister bypass, thus keeping all the debris//crap/smegma/etc, in the filter, never to leave the filter. Its lots Less of a risk than crap being sent to bearings when in filter bypass, Just like the LN spin on filter adapters don't have a bypass. And those spin on (beer/soup can thick) filters are far less robust/thick than this URO aluminum one, or even the oem plastic one, and with no bypass.

Most of the people that don't like the filter bypass have seen trashed main bearings from debris scoring when tearing down bum engines....

jmo
Thanks @allcool . Very good info. You have me thinking.
allcool (08-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil filter canister bypass disable