Sponsored by:

Is my 911 toast?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 06:11 PM
Haalex
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002C2
What about the Audi 2.7? twin turbo plug in option that has been posted here several times. Is that a viable option? I’m keeping this in the back of my mind if I ever need to consider a replacement. OP - sorry for your situation.
The general rule with swaps is that they are incredibly hard to pull off reliably, with OEM-like functionality.
I've spent a lot of time on the GT86/FRS/BRZ forums (I have one of these), and reading through the swaps sections, though LS swap kits exist and you can do a bare-bones swap for 10k all-in, a proper, OEM-like swap is a lot closer to 40-50k + months of downtime.

There's a reason swaps are so rare .
Old 04-27-2024, 07:05 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
You mean ... you bought a brand new short block from Porsche and this shop is going to remove your old engine, swap the heads over, put it back in the car, and start it up, for a reasonable labor charge?
Yes, In my exuberance at hearing the news, while at work I dashed off a quick post to inform the forum members who have been incredibly helpful, know that my 911 is going to be repaired. Thanks for the translation.

The quote was low enough that I will have the shop replace a few wear and tear items while the engine is out and I can still justify the investment in the car.
Thanks to all the helpful members who offered their advice. Seriously, thanks all for helping save this car. I am super happy.

Chuck
Old 04-27-2024, 07:29 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by My1stpor
Yes, In my exuberance at hearing the news, while at work I dashed off a quick post to inform the forum members who have been incredibly helpful, know that my 911 is going to be repaired. Thanks for the translation.

The quote was low enough that I will have the shop replace a few wear and tear items while the engine is out and I can still justify the investment in the car.
Thanks to all the helpful members who offered their advice. Seriously, thanks all for helping save this car. I am super happy.

Chuck
So, what’s the quote they provided? Good luck with it.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:59 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

Sorry, Just slightly over 15k. I’ll have the head reconditioned and water pump swapped at same time. A few other things as well.
Neighborhood of 18 or so by the time I’m done. I’m deeper in money wise than what I should be but I know the car by now, it still low mileage and I like the car.
I try to drive each car I own about between a 1000 to 5000 miles a year. No reason I can’t keep this 10 more years at the minimum.
The following 2 users liked this post by My1stpor:
GC996 (05-01-2024), wdb (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 01:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,593 Likes on 996 Posts

Sorry, Just slightly over 15k. I’ll have the head reconditioned and water pump swapped at same time. A few other things as well.
Neighborhood of 18 or so by the time I’m done. I’m deeper in money wise than what I should be but I know the car by now, it still low mileage and I like the car.
I try to drive each car I own about between a 1000 to 5000 miles a year. No reason I can’t keep this 10 more years at the minimum.
Thats awesome. If it makes feel better, you can spend $35k, or even $60k if you had an air-cooled car for a comprehensive rebuild and a bit more power. But these cars are fast and fun enough with the stock power. And you could easily lose $20k in just a few years if you bought a new minivan and drove it.

Nice job being resourceful. I’m sure the short block route is going to work if done right. Like painting, 95% is proper prep work and decades of a mechanic’s experience in learning from mistakes. After all, it’s all quite simple.
The following users liked this post:
My1stpor (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 04:23 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

Thanks Mike I am very hopeful and happy that it can be back on the road. The repair place is Fischer in lake Barrington.
I was very impressed with Rick over the phone. I’m sure it will turn out great. The only downside I see was I started to look at cars for sale and I found I love
the 2009 macadamia Metallic color. I’d be surprised if that or a air cooled wasn’t next to it within a year.

I was replying at work yesterday so if my answer seem off I apologize.
I was busier than the one legged man at the contest.

Chuck
Old 04-28-2024, 04:44 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,593 Likes on 996 Posts

Thanks Mike I am very hopeful and happy that it can be back on the road. The repair place is Fischer in lake Barrington.
I was very impressed with Rick over the phone. I’m sure it will turn out great. The only downside I see was I started to look at cars for sale and I found I love
the 2009 macadamia Metallic color. I’d be surprised if that or a air cooled wasn’t next to it within a year.

I was replying at work yesterday so if my answer seem off I apologize.
I was busier than the one legged man at the contest.

Chuck
Oh, yeah, I know Rick. He’s great, you are in good hands.

Quick Reply: Is my 911 toast?