Sponsored by:

996 fuel rail Schrader port adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 06:31 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 fuel rail Schrader port adapter

Ah, ignore what's below the original post below the dashed line. Upon removing the brass cap, my 2004 996 X51 has something bigger than an M14 x 1.5 female, perhaps m16 x 1.5, without Schrader.

So what's needed may be a M16 x 1.5 female with a ball like sealing surface to a standard 1/4" fuel pressure gauge female Schrader or a barb for a hose.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Does anyone have a part number or source (other than Porsche) for an adapter for the 996 fuel rail male Schrader valve test port to a standard 1/4" fuel pressure gauge female Schrader? Actron and OTC had part number 0180-000-1299 Right Angle Large Schrader Adapter, but it is no longer available.

The female threads on the adapter I believe it may be 7/16 - 20 (but that is unclear) with a pin for the Schrader.

It would also be useful to know what other manufacturers may use the same male Schrader on their fuel rail.

Last edited by stevekat; 12-20-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:40 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

Old 12-19-2023, 08:26 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

That fitting IIRC is the same size as the old R-12 A/C fittings...I have and old set of R-12 A/C Gauges I use as fuel pressure gauges for that style Schrader valve ( a pressure gauge is a pressure gauge)

The fitting is 1/2" ACME thread ( the fitting is actually a metric but the ACME trapezoidal thread fits good)

The old R-12 gauge set has three hoses..
The Yellow hose has 1/2" ACME threads on both ends.
The Blue hose has 1/2" ACME threads on one end and 7/16" threads on the other( some have 3/8" here also and need adapters)
The Red hose has 1/2 " ACME threads on one end and 3/8" threads on the other..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 12-19-2023 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tangerine Dream (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 08:49 PM
Tangerine Dream
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Thank you!

@Porschetech3 Thank you for continuing to share your knowledge and experience with us. It is much appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 05:58 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

The old R-12 gauge and hoses sound useful if the 996 has the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. My 996 (X51, if that matters) does not have a Schrader valve, as I initially thought. Upon removing the brass cap, I found an open fitting, sort of a ball and cup arrangement (see photos above.)

So I continue to seek an adapter or fitting if anyone knows what to use. It looks to be about 16mm. It is bigger than 14mm.

One possibility is to try to find something like a ball end swivel insert to fit in the brass cap that has a barbed end to attach to a hose or, miraculously, that might have a 1/4 Schrader male on the other end.

Maybe there is a close non-metric ball end swivel that could be inserted into the stock brass cap, that would seal against the cup.

Last edited by stevekat; 12-20-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:23 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekat
The old R-12 gauge and hoses sound useful if the 996 has the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. My 996 (X51, if that matters) does not have a Schrader valve, as I initially thought. Upon removing the brass cap, I found an open fitting, sort of a ball and cup arrangement (see photos above.)

So I continue to seek an adapter or fitting if anyone knows what to use. It looks to be about 16mm. It is bigger than 14mm.

One possibility is to try to find something like a ball end swivel insert to fit in the brass cap that has a barbed end to attach to a hose or, miraculously, that might have a 1/4 Schrader male on the other end.

Maybe there is a close non-metric ball end swivel that could be inserted into the stock brass cap, that would seal against the cup.
The R-12 hose and Gauge will work, the hose end has a pin that presses (opens)the Schrader valve, but it doesn't necessarily "have" to if there is no valve in there ( which I knew there wasn't ).

I just suggested the R-12 gauge and hose, because I thought you mite already have that, but feel free to explore other options you may prefer..Many "complete" fuel pressure tester kits will have all the necessary fittings/adapters..

Old 12-20-2023, 06:53 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

Just to dig a little deeper - the R12 gauge and hoses have fittings that are greater than M14? That is pretty big, and why I ask.

I am guessing the fitting on my X51 is 16mm.

I haver a few sets of HVAC hoses and gauges, and many adapters. But not come close in size to M16. I don't know if I have anything that is for R12.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:21 AM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Ah, ignore what's below the original post below the dashed line. Upon removing the brass cap, my 2004 996 X51 has something bigger than an M14 x 1.5 female, perhaps m16 x 1.5, without Schrader.

So what's needed may be a M16 x 1.5 female with a ball like sealing surface to a standard 1/4" fuel pressure gauge female Schrader or a barb for a hose.

Does anyone have a part number or source (other than Porsche) for an adapter for the 996 fuel rail male Schrader valve test port to a standard 1/4" fuel pressure gauge female Schrader? Actron and OTC had part number 0180-000-1299 Right Angle Large Schrader Adapter, but it is no longer available.

The female threads on the adapter I believe it may be 7/16 - 20 (but that is unclear) with a pin for the Schrader.

It would also be useful to know what other manufacturers may use the same male Schrader on their fuel rail.
Just to dig a little deeper - the R12 gauge and hoses have fittings that are greater than M14? That is pretty big, and why I ask.

I am guessing the fitting on my X51 is 16mm.

I haver a few sets of HVAC hoses and gauges, and many adapters. But not come close in size to M16. I don't know if I have anything that is for R12.
Not sure if this will help, but I think the following will fit your fuel rail:

Apparently 9507/1 is the same as 'Connecting Hose, Used to Check Fuel Pump Flow Rate 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe'
Part #: 000-721-950-71-OEM
So I've ordered one.
Even found a copy of the instructions!! attached below ........
and a link to the 996TT forum on the same subject.
Hope this saves someone some hair at a later date

Pretty sure Pelican sells this hose for $65.00
Old 12-21-2023, 11:43 AM
stevekat
Intermediate

Thank you. I actually came across this same part number and hose unexpectedly this evening at Pelican while looking at fuel pumps. I thought it was a possibility, however I was not sure if it might be for the Schrader fitting. Now that it is known that it is used on the trans fitting, it seems clearer it is likely a female swivel and can be used for the fuel rail non-schrader port.

After spending a lot of time online looking, I have not found a lot of options. However, I also think this Harbor Freight fuel injection test kit (link below) includes the correct adapters. It says it has an M16 x 1.5 External and Internal Swivel Adapter European CIS, European CISE.

https://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe...kit-58817.html

Photo of 16mm male and female adapter from Harbor Freight kit.

This link below appears to be availability of a stand-alone M16 x 1.5 External and Internal (male and female) Swivel Adapter.

https://www.gsiindustries.com/produc...product_id=321

Originally Posted by jumpy chunky
Not sure if this will help, but I think the following will fit your fuel rail:

Apparently 9507/1 is the same as 'Connecting Hose, Used to Check Fuel Pump Flow Rate 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe'
Part #: 000-721-950-71-OEM
So I've ordered one.
Even found a copy of the instructions!! attached below ........
and a link to the 996TT forum on the same subject.
Hope this saves someone some hair at a later date

Pretty sure Pelican sells this hose for $65.00

Last edited by stevekat; 12-21-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:06 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

Update: The Harbor Freight Maddow Fuel Injection Test Kit linked above includes a hose that has the proper female 7/16 - 20 Schrader fitting for the 996 fuel rail. Porschetech3 was correct that this type of fitting is present and is an HVAC type fitting (ostensibly R12.)

The 16mm x 1.5 female fitting in the kit does not work on the 16mm x 1.5 female fitting on the same fuel rail. The ball or cone on the fitting is very small and drops far into the cup on the fuel rail fitting. It would probably seal, but the nut runs out of threads before it can press it in place.

My error was not realizing there are two fittings on the fuel rail. One is a 7/16 -20 male Schrader. The other is a 16mm x 1.5 non-Schrader swivel (sort of ball and cup, or cone and cup.)

The Schrader is good for testing fuel pressure. The 16mm fitting without Schrader may be good for pumping out the fuel tank, or other purposes.

I did not see or know there were two fittings on the fuel rail. The Schrader fitting is smaller and harder to see. I only knew there were two fittings when I came across this photo (below) from OutNSpaceon on his DIY rebuild thread.

Last edited by stevekat; 12-22-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:16 PM
irontmp
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's needed may be an M16 x 1.5 female with a ball like sealing surface to a standard 1/4" fuel pressure gauge female Schrader or a barb for a hose.

Does anyone have a part number or source (other than Porsche) for an adapter for the 996 fuel rail male Schrader valve test port to a standard 1/4" fuel pressure gauge female Schrader tree pruning durham? Actron and OTC had part number 0180-000-1299 Right Angle Large Schrader Adapter, but it is no longer available.

I need a little help here and I am really hoping that some one on the forum might have an answer. I'm trying to find an adapter to mount a fuel pressure gauge directly on the fuel rail on my n/a 3800. The issue is the fuel rail was not made with a removeable fitting like the stock 2.8 rail was. All the fuel pressure gauges I have found are 1/8 NPT thread type. Does any one know of a fitting type or a location to buy an adapter that would allow me to mount the gauge accordingly directly on the fuel rail? I learned real quick the 18 year old "kids" at Advance Auto and Auto Zone have no clue what schrader valves are. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: 996 fuel rail Schrader port adapter