996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need advise on what else to replace...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 05:25 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts
Default Need advise on what else to replace...

Things I've removed so far:
AOS
Drivers side intake manifold
Coolant recovery Tank
AOS Crossover line - broke while trying to remove

The AOS started failing and I was able to pull over quickly and shut it off, engine was still running smoothly.

See each picture for my questions:

Pic of where the AOS was, thoughts?

Another view.

See that red o-ring at the bottom, what is that?

Looks like the oil cooler is leaking. If I replace the seals will I have to remove the passenger side intake manifold? How much of a bear is replacing these seals?

I'm pretty sure this coolant was from before I drained the coolant and that famous T broke and lots of coolant bubbled out. You guys agree?

Condition of the intakes, seems like residue from the AOS starting to fail. Yes?

another view...

Notice how clean the valve area is? Testament to always running Chevron Premium, cuz it has Techron!

What do you think @Porschetech3 and @TexSquirrel ?
Old 12-16-2023, 10:47 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

1 . Yes, your valves are very very clean, nice to see...
2 , yes the residue is from the failing AOS, there will always be a little oiliness due to "oil fumes" going through the crankcase ventilation system though .
3. Yes, that looks like coolant from where the plastic splice that sends coolant to the AOS . The UAOS kit has everything to eliminate all this if you want .
4. Yes, looks like the O-rings under the oil cooler are leaking. Just 4 bolts to hold it on, 2 you can see right in the picture and 2 on the other side. Yes you can remove it without taking the other intake manifold off.
5.the red o-ring, is not an o-ring at all. it is a red plastic un-locking piece that is part of the quick connector for the power steering hose.. it takes a special tool to unlock the connector, ( a U-shaped fork like tool)

Since you nwo have the AOS out, do you think you could have done it without taking off the drivers side intake manifold?
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
igrip (12-17-2023), mazdaverx7 (12-17-2023), sasilverbullet (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 10:56 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
1 . Yes, your valves are very very clean, nice to see...
2 , yes the residue is from the failing AOS, there will always be a little oiliness due to "oil fumes" going through the crankcase ventilation system though .
3. Yes, that looks like coolant from where the plastic splice that sends coolant to the AOS . The UAOS kit has everything to eliminate all this if you want .
4. Yes, looks like the O-rings under the oil cooler are leaking. Just 4 bolts to hold it on, 2 you can see right in the picture and 2 on the other side. Yes you can remove it without taking the other intake manifold off.
5.the red o-ring, is not an o-ring at all. it is a red plastic un-locking piece that is part of the quick connector for the power steering hose.. it takes a special tool to unlock the connector, ( a U-shaped fork like tool)

Since you now have the AOS out, do you think you could have done it without taking off the drivers side intake manifold?
Maybe but because I had to replace the coolant tank, having all that stuff out really makes the job easier. Plus it also increases my confidence factor that everything will be okay when I put it all back together.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:27 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

That red clip costs $150. Don't break it. And it is very hard to replace the line.

The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:35 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Good thing you have that cayman to drive while you're wrenching on the 996!

My lil 986 is in pieces at the moment on the AOS job and a few others. Good job catching the AOS failure!
sasilverbullet (12-17-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 02:00 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice catch my man! Good job taking things in stride too....
sasilverbullet (12-18-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:12 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I’d replace the plastic coolant connect with an aluminum one, or eliminate it completely.
It is definitely not needed for our part of the country.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:47 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 281 Posts

That red clip is a bit of a bear. My power steering fluid reservoir was leaking so I ended up using a piece of an e30 AC condition system bracket as a fork like tool to push the red clip in and pull the tube out, talk about jack leg!!!

Still leaked a little bit; only thing left was the black coating on end of the tube. Never could figure out what the covering was so I used heat shrink on the end and trimmed it off. Has held dry for two years.....

hardtailer (12-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Need advise on what else to replace...