996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need some advise on a 03 c4s, please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 12:24 PM
Dawg82
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Love my 03 C4S after four years of ownership….

Bought mine with just over 100K miles as a weekend driver. Previous owner had the ceramic IMSB - not The Solution - installed at around 80K when clutch was replaced. Lived in the Atlanta area all its life

Pros. Handles like a dream and plenty fast for me. 6-speed manual - avoid Tiptronic IMO. Best looking naturally aspirated 996 with the wide body.

Cons. Current going through the foam blowing out the vents. The frunk is smaller than RWD 996.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:52 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by imhighlander
I'm one of the legion of souls who will likely never be a good enough driver to NEED more power from my C4S. (Just as I will never be fast enough or fit enough to NEED more bike!) My journey with my 996 is to make her truly "mine" and to enjoy the experience along the way. Communities like RL are great to enhance the learning process and the overall experience.
Absokutely. The 996 is plenty fast. Every novice driver I have instructed over the years will always say that they wished it had more power. I would always tell them that the car is extremely fast for its time period as well as against the modern 911s, but you have to learn how to drive it. After two sessions with them, I would take them out for my third session with the instructors and Club racers. Every one of them would say something like, "I had no idea the 996 was that fast".

And I would say, Yep.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:10 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Absokutely. The 996 is plenty fast. Every novice driver I have instructed over the years will always say that they wished it had more power. I would always tell them that the car is extremely fast for its time period as well as against the modern 911s, but you have to learn how to drive it. After two sessions with them, I would take them out for my third session with the instructors and Club racers. Every one of them would say something like, "I had no idea the 996 was that fast".

And I would say, Yep.
Because I've grown up in the muscle car south, I have to change the way I explain things because most gauge things on the quarter mile or Waffle House menu. I tell them that Porsches are "quick cars" made for the race tracks, not drag strips. So many muscle cars would beat the porsches in the straight line quarter but would have their asses handed to them on a platter when trying to race on a track.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 01:33 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
Because I've grown up in the muscle car south, I have to change the way I explain things because most gauge things on the quarter mile or Waffle House menu. I tell them that Porsches are "quick cars" made for the race tracks, not drag strips. So many muscle cars would beat the porsches in the straight line quarter but would have their asses handed to them on a platter when trying to race on a track.
You nailed it. Two different skill sets and and car requirements. Never got into drag racing and never cared about 0-60 or the quarter mile. Completely different than speed and skills needed on the track to brake, balance and turn the car.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:47 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Its like a Lotus 7 at a track day,, 100HP and on a tight track in the turns it's eating up cars with 4x the horsepower.
We have a local track day guy with one that is just fun to watch... LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
GC996 (03-20-2023), mjb2448 (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:16 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

One of the funniest times I had on the track was around the mid 2000s. Two guys had bought an ALMS raced Dodge Viper and were DEing it at our local track during a PCA DE. The Viper was incredible in looks and sounds. Not to mention extremely powerful and fast in a straight line. The problem was that it didn't turn well and so powerful when coming out of a turn that the guys couldn't control the car. It was all over the place and was wreeking havoc with the other drivers. They were eventually moved to a slower group and told to slow down and learn how to drive the car. They may have been excellent drivers, but the car wasn't made for a tight 2 mile long track. In fact, I remember watching the car at the ALMS races at Road America a few years earlier. Car was powerful, fast but couldn't turn at Road America either.

Incredible car even though it couldn't turn. The sound was incredible.

Last edited by GC996; 03-20-2023 at 02:17 PM.
ZuffenZeus (03-20-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 06:47 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HK G36C
Thank you Gents for all your input! This is what I know so far, it need a new front differential, IMSB must be done, likely needs a clutch, engine and transmission mount must be done! Walking away from this one, unless the price is reduce for the work I mentioned.
On the front differential issue, you can just remove it and convert the car into RWD, my C4S is this way, PO removed the front differential for some reason, he did gave me all the parts, one of these days I am going to connect it all back on and see how the car handles.

I track the car and yeah it can be a bit lose in the rear on turn exist but it is manageable, with good tires it drives very nice. I replaced the clutch myself and was not any harder than any other clutch job. the engine mounts was a very easy job for a DIY.
HK G36C (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Need some advise on a 03 c4s, please!