Sponsored by:

2003 996 C2 Spoiler randomly deploys

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 12:34 PM
poopysnaps
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 996 C2 Spoiler randomly deploys

I've noticed on a few occasions when I've gotten out of my car after a short drive that my spoiler is up and not retracted.

Have any of you had this problem and found a solution or cause ?

Thank you

Woody
Old 10-24-2022, 03:09 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by poopysnaps
I've noticed on a few occasions when I've gotten out of my car after a short drive that my spoiler is up and not retracted.

Have any of you had this problem and found a solution or cause ?

Thank you

Woody
Could you have hit the switch with your foot?

Or,

I was having issues with my spoiler deployment. I had installed HID's aftermarket in a halogen car. took those out, problem went away.... PSA - ReTrofit HID and 996.2 halogen - battery oil spoiler - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Last edited by steam_mill; 10-24-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:35 PM
poopysnaps
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see your point. It could be possible that i'm hitting the button on the foot well. It's not likely IMO as my feet are so big !

I'll take your advice and block of the switch area and see if it's still happens.

Woody
Old 10-25-2022, 07:55 AM
bmchan
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by poopysnaps
I see your point. It could be possible that i'm hitting the button on the foot well. It's not likely IMO as my feet are so big !

I'll take your advice and block of the switch area and see if it's still happens.

Woody
I have NEVER inadvertently hit that switch with my foot. It's possible (once??) but not likely. Keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Only if I put the spoiler up manually with the switch will it stay up after a drive.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:14 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

I think I'm the real odd-ball here ....One of the first things I did to my 996.1 when I got it 15 years ago was to extend the spoiler and then program the instrument cluster to "fixed spoiler" so that it had no control over spoiler position and the spoiler would remain in the up position...

I know the Factory designed it to be a "dual purpose" with good high speed stability , then be a little better on fuel economy when not raised at speeds below 70 mph and have the "look" they wanted when sitting.

But I actually didn't like the "look" when sitting , and the Taco spoiler or any other fixed spoilers were just too aggressive for my everyday daily taste/style , so I preferred the "spoiler up" look 100% of the time...

When I first did it and drove to the Porsche Center in Atlanta for Porsche Training, the Porsche Instructor asked me if the spoiler was broken...lol... I said no, I intentionally programmed like that......and I have been asked that a few more times but I don't care,... I like it like that...

I do like a couple of the "new carbon fiber ducktails" , but I am so used to mine that way it is I'm not sure I can justify the change.....of course YMMV ...

Old 10-25-2022, 09:51 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I think I'm the real odd-ball here ....One of the first things I did to my 996.1 when I got it 15 years ago was to extend the spoiler and then program the instrument cluster to "fixed spoiler" so that it had no control over spoiler position and the spoiler would remain in the up position...

I know the Factory designed it to be a "dual purpose" with good high speed stability , then be a little better on fuel economy when not raised at speeds below 70 mph and have the "look" they wanted when sitting.

But I actually didn't like the "look" when sitting , and the Taco spoiler or any other fixed spoilers were just too aggressive for my everyday daily taste/style , so I preferred the "spoiler up" look 100% of the time...

When I first did it and drove to the Porsche Center in Atlanta for Porsche Training, the Porsche Instructor asked me if the spoiler was broken...lol... I said no, I intentionally programmed like that......and I have been asked that a few more times but I don't care,... I like it like that...

I do like a couple of the "new carbon fiber ducktails" , but I am so used to mine that way it is I'm not sure I can justify the change.....of course YMMV ...
Is that possible on a -2 as well?
Old 10-25-2022, 10:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

You get a PASS due to your status, and contributions, but a newbie or poseur with 7 posts would get slammed for leaving their spoiler in the up position, lol.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 11:56 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Is that possible on a -2 as well?
Yes it can with PIWIS it is a simple change in coding from articulate spoiler to fixed spoiler....Then the instrument cluster will not have any control over spoiler position and it will not cause any warnings or fault codes..

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
You get a PASS due to your status, and contributions, but a newbie or poseur with 7 posts would get slammed for leaving their spoiler in the up position, lol.
Yes newbies and poseurs must be critiqued much more closely than seasoned veterans...lol
Old 10-26-2022, 01:34 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 123 Posts

LMAO to Mike Murphy comment and good spirited fun with Porschetech3. This is just part of the many reasons I enjoy this forum: Advice, assistance, humour and all around fun times enjoying our beloved 996's
Glad to be a member!
Old 10-26-2022, 01:42 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
LMAO to Mike Murphy comment and good spirited fun with Porschetech3. This is just part of the many reasons I enjoy this forum: Advice, assistance, humour and all around fun times enjoying our beloved 996's
Glad to be a member!

Hell yes !! And I'm glad to finally get a PASS on something ...lol...Some folks here hold a few of us to too high a standard..
Mpfaff (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:27 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 510 Posts

Hell yes !! And I'm glad to finally get a PASS on something ...lol...Some folks here hold a few of us to too high a standard..
Naw. Some of those folks are just wound a little too tightly...

Quick Reply: 2003 996 C2 Spoiler randomly deploys